close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First GSSF Match

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by senderosob, Jun 5, 2004.

1. senderosob

senderosob

This September will be my first GSSF Match. I signed up for Amateur Civillian, Amateur Subcompact, and Amateur Competition. Due to some family business, I will not be able to shoot both days as expected. Will I be able to shoot all three categories in one day?

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

You may shoot 2 then take a break for another shooter, and then shoot the third.

Plan to spend the day but you should have no problem.

Welcome aboard, lethal.

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Absolutely, and you can pick the day(either Sat/Sun). In most cases shooting Sunday is faster because of less shooters. The matches I have shot on Sunday, I was checked in by 09:00 a.m. and was done with 3 categories by 11:00 a.m. I usually shoot on Sat. and if I am checked in by 09:00 a.m. I am done by about 2:00 p.m. This also allows me some time to visit with friends I only see at matches. It is much more fun if you allow for a full day either day and relax and enjoy. Be sure to sign the sign-in sheets at all 3 stages Before you start to shoot, then you can start and whatever stage you want. Good luck--- Have Fun, Be Safe, and meet New Friends

4. senderosob

senderosob

Outstanding! Thanks for the replies, I was afraid that I may not be able to complete it in one day. I plan to spend the entire day (Sunday) to compete and mostly watch and meet new folks that love these ugly pistols as much as I do!!

Anyone going to Hallsville, MO in September???

5. Don At PC

Maybe next year. That is another one I have not made it to yet. I will be in Statesville NC the weekend before Hallsville and then will be on the road to 3 matches in Oct. (Conyers, Shreveport and Lexington)

6. senderosob

senderosob

Too bad, was hoping to be able to meet you. Best of luck to you in the matches. Have fun and be safe!

Glocks rule!!

7. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

It's a 500 mile trip one way but is on my agenda this year....I shot Hallsville the year before last and enjoyed it....;f

8. senderosob

senderosob

Do the matches vary much from place to place?

9. Don At PC

Same three stages at all matches and the same rules apply. The only variations that I have seen has been in the experience level and attutudes of those running the stages. I would say 99.9% of all matches and RO's have been absolutely great. But just like all life's experiences there are a few bumps in the road. I have been shooting GSSF since Oct. 99 shooting 10 to 12 matches per year and have had a great time. It's a family oriented venue where Master Class Shooters and just Beginners can have a great time and make some great new friendships that will last forever.

10. senderosob

senderosob

That sounds awesome. I cannot wait to go to it.

I will be trying out my G37 in 2 of the matches and my G27 in the sub category.

You can only shoot factory ammunition correct? If so, how much ammunition should I bring? I read in the Glock report that you should bring 150rds per division. Is that about right?

11. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

The matches are run with the same three stages 5 to Glock,Glock M and the Plates ...there may be slight changes relative to the height or position of the D1's and the distances vary from 5 yards to 25 yards, some ranges offer warmup matches for practice. Check www.gssfonline.com what to expect. Hallsville did not offer any warmup...actually the midwest matches I have gone to have not had access to any warmup. I usually use my Competition Category as a warmup to my Amateur Category....I usually shoot a minimum of 2 categories with the same pistol as long as it is stock for Amateur.You can shoot up to six categories...you should have eye and ear protection...it would be nice to have at least 4 mags...(the plates take 4 runs) plan on 150 round per category...this is due to possibly a reshoot...You will need to visit an area at the signup which will give you an orientation( this is usually a video) which explains expectations of a safe match.I would suggest on trying to meet someone there to walk you through....There alot of helpful people at the matches...if you do not have a Mentor Just ask....everyone seems tickled to death to assist and help another GSSF'er thats why I LOVE this group of people and am a Life Member...I probably will not arrive until sometime Saturday and will try to check in...if the 10 hour drive doesn't take too much of a toll I will also try to shoot that day...Goodluck and no questions are too small or unimportant. ;f

12. Don At PC

The G37 shoots great. I shoot it in AmCiv and Master Stock and I shoot my G17L "Tweedy" in Masters Unlimited.

You can shoot factory ammo or you can shoot reloads. The only advantage to factory is that if you have a ammo malfunction you get a reshoot where as if you shoot reloads you do not. I have shot my personal reloads since day one and would not consider factory. This must be an individual descision based on reloading experience and confidence in you reloading. My G-37 with my reloads feels like shooting a 9mm and is much more accurate than I am capable of at 25 yards. I would not recommend shooting someone elses reloads or reloads bought at a gun show. You need quality ammo for safety and dependability. I feel my reloads are every bit as good and probably better in many cases than most factory ammo in both safety and reliability.

I would recommend 125-150 rounds per category and 5 mags is ideal. Since you shoot 4 runs at the plates the 5th mag is a stripper mag since you are alloud to have 11 rounds loaded and can shoot all 11 in the Glock "M" and Plates if needed. You can also load 11 in the 5 to Glock but you can only shoot 10 rounds if you shoot the 11th round its a 10 second penality.

13. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Just thought I'd wish Sendero good luck on his first match. ^c
    I'm also going to try to make my first match (Oakdale next month) if local BASS tournament duties will permit 1 day away. And a good time to thank Don & Danny & Fireglock and many others for their continued advice to newcomers.
    ;W

14. senderosob

senderosob

Thanks to everyone for your advice and recommendations. I greatly appreciate them.

I am looking on Ebay for more clips for my G27 and G37. I will also be looking for clip pouches as well. I have always liked Fobus brand but does anyone recommend anything imparticular that has worked well for you?

15. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

In GSSF Competition, there is no need for mag pouches. Just lay out your mags on the table in front of you.;)

16. Belle

Belle

I got mine from i-SHOT. Check them out at http://www.ishot-inc.com/html/products-mp6.html
    Having them helps keep my range bag organized.

17. senderosob

senderosob

Thanks for the tip! Nice looking gear and very practical. How long have you been shooting Belle?

18. Belle

Belle

My first time handling a gun was about 12 years ago. I finally bought one of my own about a year and half ago.

19. fmule68

fmule68

Anyone else going to Nashua? I'm hoping to try GSSF if I don't have to work that weekend.