close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First GSSF Match

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 4-Fun, Jul 7, 2012.

1. 4-Fun

4-Fun

I've been a GSSF member since 2009. I've never participated in a GSSF match. I live in south GA, and the closest matches I see are in the Atlanta area--150+ miles away.

I guess my question is, should I go to a couple of matches just to learn the flow of a match, or will the officials take the time to guide a newbie through the corse of fire?

I'd hate to drive 150 miles and not be able to shoot.

2. SARDG

SARDG

Do NOT go to a match and NOT shoot. You can read dozens and dozens of posts on here with folks who think they should go watch first, then come back to some later match. Go to shoot!

The ROs will help you through - when you get to the stage and then line just tell each RO you are a new GSSF shooter and they'll guide you through it.

Read through the rules in The Glock Report at www.gssfonline.com so that you have a background.

You can register at the match. Bring your gun(s) and at least 4 mags per Division/gun that you are shooting.

See you in Dawsonville next weekend!!

BTW, as an aside... if a 20-30 minute New Shooters Briefing was offered at the match, would you be inclined to attend?

3. 4-Fun

4-Fun

Yes. I think that would settle some nerves.

My shooting ability (or inability) is enough to laugh about without me doing something stupid.

I want to have fun, but I really want to become a better shooter.

4. SARDG

SARDG

I've been trying to convince GSSF to hold a New Shooters Brief, but it hasn't happened yet.

Come to Dawsonville, find me personally either day - I'll be ROing a Glock 'M and you can shoot your first GSSF shots at my stage and we'll get through it easily. After the first stage is behind you, it's a complete piece of cake. But read the rules first and be certain you know the basic GSSF structure and safety rules.

GSSF's Mission (from the rules):
    20.05 The fundamental mission of GSSF is to introduce new shooters into the world of competitive shooting.

Kitty

5. 4-Fun

4-Fun

Thank you Kitty, what a generous offer. I know that I will not be able to make this weekends match. I'm in my last semester, taking my last class, to finish my associates degree. I started in 1990, and finally, at the age of 50, I'm two weeks from being DONE.

If you are serving as RO at any match in the Atlanta area after August, I would gladly take you up on your offer.

6. SARDG

SARDG

I'll be at Conyers, SEP 29-30. EVERYONE will be at Conyers.

7. SARDG

SARDG

BTW... speaking of distance-traveled... Scott (PM720) is coming to Conyers from California.

8. PM720

PM720

Damn, you beat me to it! Yeah, call me crazy but I want to shoot a match with over 1000 entries and see how I stack up. :dunno: I have already driven to Vegas, Davis and Reno from the LA area so 150 miles should be a piece of cake! :supergrin:

You DEFINATELY want to plan to shoot. Like Kitty said check out the rules first. Read through them a few times. Mostly about the stages and allowed mods would be my suggestion. Also, there are a number of videos on YouTube that can give you an idea of how the different stages go. Once you get to your first match stand back for a while a watch ether other shooters to see what they do. Hopefully you will get to see Bama Trooper shoot to see how it's REALLY done! :supergrin: Anyway, read the rules watch videos and ask questions here! :wavey:

Scott

9. SARDG

SARDG

I spoke with Bama today. He's waffling a little about Conyers, but I told him I want to shoot on a Masters Team with him and drag him down! :embarassed:

10. 4-Fun

4-Fun

Wow! Conyers must be a big deal--a 1000 shooters, soulds like a newbie could get lost in that crowd!

I'll check out the you-tube lead. Sounds like I just need to committ.

I've been looking for something to mark my graduation--this could be it.

11. PM720

PM720

Actually, it will probably be more like 300-500 SHOOTERS. 1 shooter can account for 1 to 7 ENTRIES. I will be shooting at least 5 divisions, probably 6 and as long as I am there maybe add Master Stock to my warmup routine. I am still in the planning stages but I might shoot the full size guns on Saturday and then the 3 G30 divisions on Sunday. :dunno:

Scott

12. SARDG

SARDG

Can you say 'Unlimited'? That must be #7.

13. PM720

PM720

#6 actually. :supergrin:

14. Melissa5

Melissa5

Congrats! :cheerleader:

Definitely shoot at the first match you attend. I've read about a lot of first time shooters winning a random pistol. I did. :supergrin: Also, don't worry about the number of shooters at Conyers. That's where I shot my first GSSF match last year and everyone was very nice and helpful. Plus, the Gunny will be there.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Read the rules

come watch a few people shoot

have 4 loaded mags (11 max remove one if you don't shoot to slidelock)

tell the RO you are new.

and as always leave LOOKING FOR YOUR NEXT MATCH.

16. ede

ede Bama's Friend

You won't get near as much out as watching as you do doing it. I'd guess you could watch shooters all day and not learn as much as you could by shooting and then have something to ask questions about.

Go and sign up to shoot, unless you're first in line you'll get to watch before you shoot, ask questions, and don't be scared to say you're new.

17. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

18. SARDG

SARDG

Yeah, but they used flintlocks then... :tongueout:

19. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Heck I thought they were using sling shots when Ede was a new shooter.:rofl::tongueout::faint:

Don

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  20. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

slings- slings shots had not been invented.