close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured First GSSF match; indoors or outdoors? Differences?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by vart, May 18, 2017.

1. vart

vart

I discovered that an indoor range about 45 miles south of me lists indoors GSSF matches.

http://diamondbackshootingrange.com/competitions/

Their website is not helpful at all and doesn't list any costs, course of fire, etc. The next one is the 27th.

Looking at the GSSF rules, my nearly stock G29 will be good to go with just a fiber optic front sight, Glock extended slide release, and Pearce grip extender.

I looked at the course of fire and there seems to be several featured on the GSSF website for indoor matches. How do you know which one will be used at the actual competition?

Also, the nearest outdoor match is in Montana and about three hours away. It would be a pretty big hassle and expense to attend it vs. the nearby local indoor match.

If I compete in the two indoor matches coming up, would I be eligible for the GSSF prizes? Or do I have to compete in an outdoor match?

Looks like I will be either calling or visiting the range this week to talk to someone...

2. ohiojim

ohiojim

It's up to the hosting range which course of fire they use. Most post this info on their website. If no posting I would assume it's the standard COF. Not really a big deal. They are all similar and fun.Your gun sounds like it would be fine. Shooting in the indoor league and the outdoor match are totally separate things. Shooting in one doesn't qualify you for prizes in the other. I encourage you to shoot in the outdoor match. Shoot in as many divisions as your gun qualifies for. The outdoor matches are a lot more fun than the indoor ones.

3. vart

vart

So, I pay $35 for a year membership in GSSF. Then I pay $25 for each division. My pistol qualifies for 4 divisions. I don't think I want to spend $100 on a match, plus the ammo...

Oh, and can you shoot your own reloads in the match? Last time I shot at an indoor range, they didn't allow reloaded ammo. Shooting 100 rounds of 10mm bought over the counter is a pretty big expense. Shooting my reloads (which I can also load down to minimal recoil amounts) would be a huge plus in deciding to go forward.

4. youngann

youngann Pistol People

Yes, you may shoot reloads.

vart likes this.
  5. vart

vart

Thanks Ann!

Another newbie question...

Is it advantageous to shoot in one division over the other? My stock G29 can shoot in multiple divisions. Any advantage to shooting in the sub-compact division vs. the heavy metal division?

6. youngann

youngann Pistol People

Since I've only ever shot the outdoor matches, I'm not familiar with the indoor rules. At an outdoor match, I would recommend you shoot amateur civilian as that is the category that has special breakout awards. e.g. top senior, top challenged, top female, top Junior Etc.

RonS likes this.
  7. truckcop

truckcop

Indoor matches have 3 divisions: Stock, Unlimited, and pocket.

8. wilhelm51

wilhelm51

I am this weekend and driving 8 hours to do it.

9. JudyG

JudyG

My husband and I have this discussion every time we shoot an indoor or outdoor match. He says we can buy a gun for the money we are spending to shoot in the matches. My reply is always, I don't shoot the matches for the chance to win a gun. I shoot them because I enjoy shooting. They have helped me be more confident in my gun handling and in reinforcing safety rules for handling the gun. They are a way for me to measure how far I have come in all aspects of grip, stance and sight picture. Most of all I have met some of the best people of any hobby I have participated in before. Let's face it any gun competition you enter isn't going to pay you for your equipment or time invested. So if you like to shoot with a chance to win a gun or other prizes then shoot the GSSF matches and have fun.

jab, PM720 and Ted Smith like this.
  10. vart

vart

Sent in my info to join the GSSF.

I'm looking forward to the match next Saturday; hope I can get my reloads fine-tuned for minimum recoil and acceptable accuracy. Although the 1.25" groups with my initial efforts appear to be just fine for the indoor targets.

PM720 likes this.
  11. ohiojim

ohiojim

I shoot both indoor league and outdoor matches. I don't do this anticipating winning a gun based on my score. My scores aren't that good. But they do improve each time out. I started indoor league mostly to hone my skills as a CCW holder and carrier. I shoot the outdoor matches because its fun. I've been lucky enough to win two guns so far on random draws. I now own 4 Glocks and at each outdoor match I usually enter 3 or 4 divisions. I figure after driving all those miles I might as well make a whole day of it.

12. PM720

PM720

1.25" at what distance?

13. Dave Shooter

Dave Shooter

Yep, for outdoor matches the G29 (and the G30) is legal for every division except Pocket. I ran a G29 in several divisions for a while before switching to G30 to use free brass versus expensive.

14. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

If you are getting groups like that, come East to Camp Perry in July. Fixed times so accuracy weighs heavy.

15. vart

vart

25yds.

Best with this pistol has been 5 shots in 1" at 25yds. Very, very happy with it...

IMG_20170513_134447478.jpg

Macc283 and 1RoundEye like this.
  16. Liuk3

Liuk3

dayuuum. that's a nice grouping at 25 yds!

17. Plastic Shooter

Plastic Shooter

Nice group...no...SUPERIOR at 25 yards!

18. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

Awesome. What ammo and caliber?

19. vart

vart

My own reloads in 10mm.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  20. vart

vart

Was trying out my new sights and some new reloads and wasn't having much luck. Decided to shoot 20rds to burn up the last of the failed reloads doing what I could recall offhand from website.

Shot 5rds at 5yds, then 5rds at 10yds, then 5rds at 15yds and finally 5rds at 25yds all off-hand and under 10secs for each string of five. All shots were within the 7.25" circle. Definitely room for improvement. Not sure how big the GSSF targets are.

Once I get my sights and reloads set, I'd like to find some GSSF targets to practice with.

IMG_20170519_133936648_HDR.jpg

CDR_Glock likes this.