close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

first Glock....took me long enough. G22 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by buymore, Feb 8, 2010.

1. buymore

buymore

I finally decided I was taking the plunge and did some searching. I couldn't decide on NEW or USED to save a little money. I looked over several new dealers at a gunshow and came up with around $449.99 + tax for a new fixed standard sight G22 or G23. I wasn't really looking for CCW's, just a nice shooter. I had seen several online sites selling used police trade ins and figured I'd be around $370-$400 by the time I shipped and transferred, so I had to figure the extras into the equation. I had looked over some other trade-ins about a month ago and they were horribley worn externally and well used inside too. It made me a little leary buying uesed online. I ran across a few trade-in's on dealers tables that were in that price range out the door. Better yet, I could inspect them completely before buying. I did decide to buy from a dealer that had both NEW and Used trade-ins on his table. He assured me the few he had were in excellent condtion inside and out. He had two G22's both 2nd Gen's. I picked the one that looked better inside and out. He said they had papers with them that stated they were from a university police force and they looked like they were fired much at all to him. I got mine in the original tupperware box for just under $400 with two 15 rd LEO magazines, springs appear good and strong still.

It is a 1990 date, "RL 4XX US" Little wear on the exterior, next to none inside. Mostly holster wear right at the end of the slide. It has Trigicon Nite sights, but they were almost completely gone! Had to be very dark too see them at all. I switched them out for factory adjustable sight and a new front to match. I really like the new sight set up so far. My one question is why is this so hard to remove the slide? It seems like I have to get it JUST perfect to get it off. The recoil spring is very stiff for a 20 yr old pistol, thinking it has been changed at least once. If I pull it slightly back, push the levers down, somethimes it clicks down and I can slide it forward, but sometimes it clicks down and I cant get it off. Is there a trick I'm not getting? Or is soemthing wrong with it. I know I can only slide it barely or it cocks so then I have to pull the trigger and dry fire it and try again. Of course I didn't get any paperwork. I didn't have to disassemble when I got ti becasue the dealer ook them both apart for me to inspect. I knew the general method, but this one seems like it's very particular to getting it just perfect?

Overall, I'm very happy with the pistol I got. I like the 2nd gen guns alot more than the new ones anyways. Not into all the extras, just want a good gun!

Other than shooting it, any other concerns with early second gen G22's? Thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

:welcome: to GlockTalk!

Congrats on the 2nd Gen G22! I recently picked up a MINT 2nd Gen G19!
    They are outstanding,.........we DO need a pic.

3. buymore

buymore

added some pics. I tried to show a pic that shows that it doesn't have much wear for a 20 yr old pistol.

4. triad47

triad47

I've shot both, and I like the 3rd Gen guns. Just fits my hand better. But this is a subjective thing.

5. buymore

buymore

I like the full size Hogue Hand-All grips with finger grooves, but the 3rd Gen Glocks with the finger grooves just dont feel right to me. With the hand-all I cna adjust it where I want it and also it's soft and feels more natural to me. I'm in the process of ordering one right now. I found it on Amazon.com for $10.99 FREE shipping. Don't think I'll beat that price, but still looking around for a little just in case!

6. bentbiker

bentbiker

Do you know whether it has an NY trigger spring? If it does, you must often pull the trigger all the way to the rear while you push the slide forward, to depress the rear of the trigger bar (cruciform) so that the striker lug will not catch. If you will take one more picture of the frame from the top showing the rear portion, we can advise.

7. buymore

buymore

I had to remove one fo my other pics to load this one, does it help?

Attached Files:

8. viniglock

viniglock

9. bentbiker

bentbiker

10. Hackett

Hackett

11. buymore

buymore

ok, it is a NY1 with a 5# connector what do I do to change it? Is there a reason to change it? Unsafe? If no reason, I don't want to sink a ton more money into it. I bought USED to save money and this will just raise the price on me.

12. Hackett

Hackett

Do you not like the 5# trigger pull?

You could try the .25 cent trigger job as that can lighten it up a bit, but if you don't want to strip the lower there's not many options.

There is a how to on GT and a video how to on Youtube by some guy called KickedInBalls something or other that is very easy to follow.

13. buymore

buymore

I didn't think the trigger pull is that bad myself. I haven't shot it enough to think much about it. I guess if I shot a lighter trigger I may like it better, but the NY1 trigger pull didn't catch my attention as being bad, but I didn't compare trigger pulls when I was looking at them. I'm guessing I have one of the early Black NY1's like in the picture. I just dont want to sink much more $$ into it if not necessary. I'll shoot it and if I don't like it, I'll research it more. Maybe I can find a local expert to help me out in NE Ohio?

14. Hackett

Hackett

I prefer the 5# trigger myself, and like the way it breaks as is myself, but some prefer the 3.5# and some our stuck with state laws like NY.

I think you have the right idea though with trying it first.

15. buymore

buymore

thanks for your help everyone and by the way, I do like your work on your slides. As with the trigger, I'll live with it the way it is! I'm a cheapie, although your method doesn't have much cost involved at all. Nice looking pieces!

I'm still not getting the slide removal down yet? I tried pulling the trigger abnd it doesn't help. It takes me a few times of messing and I eventually get it, but it just isn't the same as what I remember when taking my cousins down. It just has a very small sweet spot that I have to hit just right!

16. Hackett

Hackett

The older 34 I picked up is similar. the spring contorts just enough to slightly catch when taking it off and putting it on. My 23 has never given my any troubles granted its an 08 gen 3 as opposed to the 98 34! LOL!

post pics if/when you can.

17. bentbiker

bentbiker

Can you go back at the seller and tell him he didn't tell you the whole story (probably didn't know) and have him change it? It is a simple switch if you want to do it yourself -- the spring is only $3.00 at Glockparts.com. If so, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgnrRDtfq68 for instructions on disassembly. I'd get that NY1 out of there, and your accuracy should improve noticeably; you must have strong hands if that setup seemed acceptable.

18. Hackett

Hackett

not everyone shoots better with a lighter trigger, and I personally prefer the 5#.

Everyone is different.

19. buymore

buymore

First time I shot it, my group at about 20 yds (maybe 22 yds) was about an atrocious 8-10" to start with, but I was just shooting for function really. It was first time with this one. It was extremely cold and snow blowing at me while I was shooting also.

Second tme firing (still snowing and COLD): after I got a little more used to the trigger pull, I'd say we're at about 4-5" now and confidently getting tighter. As soon as I figure out the quick reset, I'm sure it'll be even better. I'll probably leave it alone and just keep shooting to see if I get any better with it.

I did see I have the original NY-1 trigger (black with no coil in it) like the one guy on here has in his. I watched about 5 tear down videos before I felt confident enough in myself and the process to try.