close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Glock shoot, and first Glock malfunction

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DrDoot, Jun 12, 2007.

1. DrDoot

DrDoot

I just bought a used 3rd generation Glock 17. Paperwork shows it is less than a year old, and looks to be well taken care of. I went out to the range with a couple hundred rounds of ammo (after cleaning the weapon) and at about 150 rounds I got a face full of what felt like sand(powder?) after pulling the trigger. The weapon had fired. After making sure that I still had both eyes (I had taken the safety glasses off after firing a magazine to ensure the weapon was safe), I pulled the slide back and ejected an empty shell. (I tried to find that particular shell, but it fell into a pile of them and I didn't notice any with irregular marks/deformities.) I don't know what caused the malfunction, or what it was that hit my face. I was shooting the cheap Winchester ammo from Wal-Mart. After the malfunction, I fired another 50 or so rounds, and then a few days later another 200 rounds with no other problems. Is it more likely a problem with the ammo or the weapon? What shot into my face?

My first time pulling the trigger on the M-16 in basic training, it jammed (missing extractor spring it turned out). That shook my confidence in the AR platform and since then I have never trusted it. With Glock's reputation for reliability, I'd like to know what happened so that the first impression doesn't stick. Thanks.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It's the ammo. How can the weapon cause the ammo to malfunction in that manner?

3. ANeat

ANeat Got Pb?

I would try to never shoot a gun without safety glasses, as you found out, stuff happens. Probably didnt get a complete burn on the powder and you got a face full. (Unburnt powder) Was the recoil especially light on that shot?

When something like that happens its a good idea to make sure that there isnt a bullet still in the bore before firing another round,

4. DrDoot

DrDoot

I wasn't sure which had malfunctioned, the ammo or the weapon.

I couldn't tell you much difference there was in recoil, I was more concerned about the stuff exploding into my face. I've shot a good deal before and have never had problems without glasses (with a gun I had fired before) but there's always a first time.

Is this a problem to be expected from cheap Winchester ammo?

5. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

6. Houngan

Houngan

No, with the rare exception. You'll still get malfunctions with factory ammo, but they'll be in the 1/100,000 probability. Having said that, I have no idea what might have happened.

H.

7. USAret

USAret

++++++++++ on that one. Any "bang" that is unusual especially if it felt "light" could be a mis-loaded round that may have; not enough powder, wrong powder, or NO powder. Worse-case is no powder or very under-loaded because the primer might run the bullet just a few inches into the barrel. Then the next full power round comes behind it against a plugged barrel, that is a possible KB or if you are lucky a ruined barrel.