Glock Talk banner

First Glock, quick IDPA related question.

1K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  hankfan79 
#1 ·
Hi all.

Bought a factory re-furbed G22 yesterday. This is my first Glock and I can't wait to get to the range. First thing I did was put in a factory extended mag release button. (I knew from shooting other Glocks I would want this mod). This is my new carry gun and I will be using it IDPA, which I became addicted to last summer. (Have been shooting a Beretta 96 Brigadier.) I am doing my first three gun match next month and can't wait.

My question is this: If I file down the sharp corners off of the new mag release button will that bump the gun out of SSP?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ozz.

#3 ·
Originally posted by Ozz
Hi all.

Bought a factory re-furbed G22 yesterday. This is my first Glock and I can't wait to get to the range. First thing I did was put in a factory extended mag release button. (I knew from shooting other Glocks I would want this mod). This is my new carry gun and I will be using it IDPA, which I became addicted to last summer. (Have been shooting a Beretta 96 Brigadier.) I am doing my first three gun match next month and can't wait.

My question is this: If I file down the sharp corners off of the new mag release button will that bump the gun out of SSP?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ozz.
I dug out the rule book and this is the only thing that could cause you to be bumped into ESP. Pg 20, Excluded Modifications #1 says "Externally visable modifications other than sights and grips."

However, I don't think anyone would notice or even care if you filed down the sharp edges on your mag release and I'm not sure the above mentioned rule would even apply. At your level (beginner) you have nothing to worry about. When you take first at the National Championships then you should probably use a stock mag release.

#4 ·
I found that the exteded mag release that came with my G35 dug into my skin/hip when carried IWB. I put a normal one in and the problem went away.

The odd thing is that my mag changes are just as positive with the shorter release. The long one "feels" easier to hit, but makes no practical difference to me.

Koski

#6 ·
Originally posted by Steve Koski
I found that the exteded mag release that came with my G35 dug into my skin/hip when carried IWB. I put a normal one in and the problem went away.

The odd thing is that my mag changes are just as positive with the shorter release. The long one "feels" easier to hit, but makes no practical difference to me.

Koski
I'll second that.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

For me,anyway, the longer button makes a difference in terms of not having to adjust my grip to drop the mag, so I do like extention. I am surprised that Glock makes the piece with such obviously sharp corners, but there's tradeoffs in everything, right?

Anyway, I think I will just knock the corners off a little, nothing crazy.

Thanks again.

#9 ·
I have small hands and the standard mag button forces me to shift my grip. I put in an extended one after carefully knocking off the sharp corners. I can now drop the magazine without shifting my grip.

I did not go crazy but just filed off the sharp ends and light ly buiffed. It looks like normal wear to me.

#10 ·
If you're shooting a local Club Match they shouldn't be nitpicking at all. Am left handed and have contourerd every mag release have ever used, even the std. ones as use one of the strong hand knuckles to release. No one has ever made a fuss even at the yearly regional sanctioned Match or two manage to shoot.

#11 ·
It is my understanding that if you add any STOCK part to a Glock it is legal in the IDPA because any of the Glock products can be ordered from the FACTORY with extended levers. Thus making the weapon suitable for SSP or Production division. I own a G-19 with all extended lever and I asked the IDPA Director about the same issue. HE SAID "LEGAL"

#13 ·
I did exactly the same to my wife's G34. Our match director put her in ESP class, but later decided she could shoot in SSP with it.

#14 ·
I have all standard releases on my 30, 21, and 17. All were slightly "sharp" around the edges, but have now worm in quite well.

I don't see how anyone would be able to tell the difference if you just "hurried"" the process along. I know I wouldn't think to look see if you had filed it.

#15 ·
"but later decided she could shoot in SSP with it."

Musta wised up and cracked the Little Green Book?

#16 ·
Originally posted by Duck of Death
Anybody complains tell'em it's normal wear that made it smooth. The same wear that rounded my trigger guard so it's more comfortable to shoot.
;z Yep, mine too. I guess the skin on my fingers is kinda abrasive--like sandpaper even.

#17 ·
My bombast is that I'm so Anal that all Glock's get scrubbed with "Beech's Bore Shine" and a SS brush, even the frames so of course they're gonna be kinda smooth after ten or twenty scrubbins' ;f

#18 ·
Originally posted by Speedrock
"but later decided she could shoot in SSP with it."

Musta wised up and cracked the Little Green Book?
Actually, the book doesn't answer this question clearly. If I was going to answer it by the book, I would have to say it is an external modification that isn't permitted in SSP - but then you could apply some interpretation and say that filing a sharp edge off of a permitted mag release isn't what they meant by modification.

#20 ·
My comment was tongue in cheek. When used to organize/run or be MD for local Club level IDPA Match's, the question always asked myself "was xxxxxx done to gain a competitive advantage, etc." That was as per the SO Instructor who gave a bunch of us the required SO Course, plus at the time we did have a Committee of Shooters, not necessarily So's either, that met to discuss stage submissions and rules to be strictly enforced and those that could be interpreted for the good and benefit of all. It even got to the point that we stuffed all the Hyper-competitive types in one Squad and the rest in another to include new shooters and new to the gun world shooters so they could be mentored if desired, etc. Noticed we were loosing a good number of new people because they didn't care for the bickering and "gotta beat ya" attitudes of some of the "Gamer" types. It did work and was enjoyable for those there for the fun a sportsmanship of the "game".

But then again, may be why am no longer even SO'ing? However, no more Committee, no Stage submission's, only two guys running it and someone gets DQ'd almost every Match, etc., etc. etc......

#22 ·
Originally posted by Joe D
I think if any MD was so anal as to move someone from SSP to ESP because they smoothed the sharp corners on a mag release then that would be my last match there.
We play by the rules, that's why we have them. The rules are what keep everybody on a level competition playing field. Personally I wouldn't shoot in a club that didn't follow the rules - where's the competition if I go by the book and somebody else can not wear concealment, not use cover, drop loaded mags, etc. and get away with it. In this case, I emailed him for his opinion on the mod, since it looked to me like it wasn't permitted in SSP. He agreed, but later changed his mind.

The MD DQed himself at least once. I've never even heard a rumor of anybody being displeased with either our match director or our matches - the MD is extremely popular.

#23 ·
Originally posted by Bren
We play by the rules, that's why we have them. The rules are what keep everybody on a level competition playing field. Personally I wouldn't shoot in a club that didn't follow the rules -

Well, that's fine, but all my slide and mag releases are now worn from regular use....does that mean I can't shoot in SSP anymore?

#25 ·
As MarkP said from a technical perspective yes it would but having said that if you do some light sanding with an emery board it would be difficult for the average naked eye to tell. For the average Joe/SO it would look no different than normal wear and tear. So I would basically say don’t volunteer that you’ve done it since you might run into individuals who follow the letter of every rule to the t.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.