First Glock purchase, a rare issue?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Charles Smith, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Hello, I'm new to the forum but not to shooting. I've been shooting for over 30 years. My daily carry gun was a Sig P229 .40, and only recently have I warmed up to the polymer offerings from the various brands. I want something lighter than the P229 for edc. After shooting many, the Glock 27 gen 4 was the perfect gun for me. I love almost everything about the gun. So, with some promo codes and a buyer's discount I ordered a new one from Sportsman's Guide. I accepted transfer from my FFL after only a quick look at the gun making sure it was the correct model. My mistake I realize for not being more thorough. I got home and after a quick wipe down shot 14 rounds, which were met with horrible results. Several failures to eject and many casings ejected into my forehead. I knew something was wrong. I stripped it to discover there was NO ejector in the gun. Not a broken ejector.....I mean it was absent. There was some wear on the anterior aspect of the trigger housing from the casings hitting it. Long story short, Glock has been great and the gun should be in their possession today after free overnight shipping. I realize I could have repaired it in a minute with the correct part, but chose to do it this way since it was literally brand new. Oddly enough, Anthony at Glock customer service didn't seem all that surprised with my issue and could only guess that somewhere along the line someone needed an ejector and snagged it out. I can't wait to get it back because I absolutely love the gun and want to put several hundred rounds through it to feel confident in it again. My questions to the forum are: 1) How in the world does such an oversight occur in possibly the most respected gun line in the world? and 2) Could there possibly have been any other damage to the gun having fired only 14 rounds with a missing ejector? I appreciate your input. Here's to a great weekend!

2. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

First off welcome.
    Secondly how these things occur depends on human nature and not Glock Perfection. Sending your weapon to Glock will allow them to correct the mistake and see if any other damage was evident.

Just this week a thread asking if people inspected their Glock or just fired away. Your situation lends credence to my inspection and prepping the firearm before use.

The moral of the story is "Buyer Beware" it's your money, it's your Life.

3. Charles Smith

Charles Smith

You're exactly right, I can assure you, regardless of the manufacturer, I will take more time to inspect any weapons before accepting transfer in the future.

Rocky7 likes this.
  4. MoRivera

MoRivera

Wow. To be fair, I can see how that would be rather easily missed when inspecting a gun for purchase. You just expect it to be there like the magazine catch and slide lock. But unlike a lot of other guns, it is rather easy to just slip out to remove. Glad you're getting it worked out.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Charles Smith likes this.
  5. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Howdy.
    I'll repeat the already stated. Stuff happens and we are human and fallible by nature.
    Sending the pistol back is probably the best thing to do. It will give the service center a chance to correct the known deficiency and give it a good once over to see if anything else could be amiss.
    The fact that something breaks or doesn't work as promised is irritating, but how the company handles these problems is what makes them shine or fade away.
    Sounds like you have a good experience to share.
    Enjoy the gun and when you get it back, read the book that comes with it. Glocks are rough, tough, and rugged, but do require a certain amount of care. Getting that right to start will extend the life and function by a wide margin.

Cheers

Borg Warner and Charles Smith like this.
  6. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

"Anthony at Glock customer service didn't seem all that surprised with my issue and could only guess that somewhere along the line someone needed an ejector and snagged it out."

Welcome to Glock Talk and I agree with Anthony. Of my 13 Glocks, 12 were brand new. All 12 had signs of test firing, which I think is great. I also believe that is how the 2 sample cases are created, where one use to go in the brown envelope with date and inspector's name.

It's my understanding that Glock no longer provides the sample case with envelope on firearms made after September, 2015, BUT 2 of my 12 new Glocks were made after that date and they also looked to have been test fired.

Hope this helps.

7. dcowboyscr

dcowboyscr

So in the Glock videos/articles where they claim they test fire every gun why wouldn't they notice a major issue such as this? No way a gun without an ejctor gets testfired and passes.

8. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I must be missing something here. The ejector is part of the TMH. No TMH, no bang.

Not sure how someone "snags" an ejector and leaves a gun that functions?

I didn't get much sleep last night so forgive me if it is something obvious I am missing.

9. John Biltz

John Biltz

I think I agree with Anthony, somewhere along the distribution route someone needed a new extractor and stole yours. I can't see it getting out of the factory without one. You could just buy one, but I bet the spring and plunger detent is missing as well. In fact I bet the plunger spring detent is what they were after. Its what gets lost.

10. Mike-M

Mike-M

It is possible to "extract" the ejector from the front of the TMH. That's commonly done by Gen3 9x19mm Glock owners who want the Gen4 30274 ejector instead of the standard Gen3 336 ejector.

But, a Gen4 G27 uses a 28926 ejector, and AFAIK no one has found that desirable in any other application.

I doubt the story that someone snatched out the 28926 ejector. It seems most likely it was never installed in that G27's 28927 TMH. A factory test fire of one round, if there was any, *could* have failed to detect the missing ejector.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  11. Mike-M

Mike-M

We're talking about the **ejector**...not the extractor. :)

12. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I didn't know that, thanks.

I thought they were molded into the TMH.

13. John Biltz

John Biltz

Duh! Never mind, I'll slink off now.

14. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Not a great start, but it sounds like they have it under control.

15. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I have bought a pile of new glocks, not in the last decade or two, but they were all good to go out of the box.

It certainly pays to check out any gun when you first buy it. I don't think I would have caught the missing part either.

16. glide

glide Just sayin'

I'm glad that Glock made good on the issue AND picked up the shipping cost. Nice. I'm sure all will be well when you get the gun back.

Welcome to the forums, enjoy your new gun (when you get it back), and be safe.

17. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Good to hear about Glock customer service. I can't imagine how the part disappeared, but it did. Stuff happens. My first Glock was a police turn-in and with some help, I field-stripped it and added some lube and cleaned the barrel before shooting it. My second Glock was new and I did the same procedure before I fired it.

Whatever kind of gun you own, it's good to know everything about it ther is to know. I've learned a great deal about my Glocks from just over a month on this forum.