First glock. Gen4 17.. sights and trigger?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ErickS, Jan 1, 2016.

1. ErickS

ErickS

I recently bought my first glock, a gen 4 17. After shooting 200+ rounds thru it, ive found im not a fan of the sights nor the trigger. I bought this to serve multiple purposes. Everyday carry, and shoot IPSC and USPSA. Can anyone recommend some sights and triggers that will fit the bill. Hoping to find a happy medium. Keeping in mind i will be carrying everyday and shooting on wknds.
    Thanks in advance.

2. seattlesetters

seattlesetters

Great pistol!

Carrying in what?

3. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Besides your first Glock what are you comparing your needs too? Any handgun could be a EDC. IPSC/USPSA is okay have you got GSSF in your area?

I like my Glock stock and/or with night sights.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  4. ErickS

ErickS

Both Carry and match holsters are uncle mikes model 21

5. bcj128

bcj128

Best night sights I've found recently are the Trijicon HD's. Those are great for carry, the front sight just "pops" out when you bring it on target.

As for trigger, I'd stick with the stock one for a carry.

halfmoonclip likes this.
  6. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

A Glock is what it is, and you're buying into that when you buy one. I wouldn't change the OEM trigger without a really good reason. The silly heavy trigger in the 42/3 is a really good reason, but I'd let yours alone.
    Moon

7. glide

glide Just sayin'

My personal preferences are Heinie or Warren Tactical 2 dot vertical night sights. I don't know what is legal in gaming pistols but my favorite is Zev Technologies trigger systems.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

8. gamecocks

gamecocks

I like Warren Tactical sights. But like just about everything when it comes to guns, it really is a personal preference. Hard to say what you'd like.

As for the trigger, what specifically don't you like about the trigger on your 17? I love my 19 trigger stock, with only a slightly heavier trigger spring(6#?) and a little polishing to smooth the takeup, as well as alot of shooting. There is alot that can be done to the Glock trigger, but hard to know what you might want to try without knowing what you do & don't like. Most people will probably tell you to just learn the Glock trigger...shooting from the reset made me love it.

9. stevedal12

stevedal12

Welcome to the forum, IMO the 17 is a great shooting gun, one of my favs. The only thing I've done to mine is Truglo TFX sights which are great for all conditions, and a Talon rubberized grip.

10. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

I like XS Big Dot 24/7 sights and a Lone Wolf 3.5# Connector with a NY1 Trigger Spring. Your Mileage May Vary. I also like a Lone Wolf Stainless Recoil Spring Assembly(Gen3 or Gen4), a metal slide cover plate and I polish the feed ramp and do a .25 cent trigger job to all of my Glock handguns. Again, that's just me, YMMV.

gatormba and ErickS like this.
  11. ErickS

ErickS

Thank
    Thanks TN, very helpful. Will definitely look into those components. Thanks again.

12. gatormba

gatormba

Lots of good recommendations there!

13. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

I have the Warren Tactical 3 Lamp Night Sights on my 17 ... Everything else stock .

14. mattallamerican

mattallamerican

lots of sights to choose from you just need to see few to find some you like..i might put in a glock 4.5 trigger in like the one in the 34 and 35 id shoot it some more the stock trigger will smooth out some..the only trouble with glocks ive seen first hand is people putting after market parts on them other than sights

15. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I have Ameriglo CAP sights on my g17..the one with the yellow front sight for the house...but i actually prefer the orange one for carry...

Some folks like the ZEV triggers but i leave my triggers stock.

16. Bruce M

Bruce M

I might shoot it a bit more before I decided to change the trigger and I would not change the trigger to anything other than something from Glock for a gun I carry.

17. Slalom.45

Slalom.45

FWIW.

I have a 17 that is my primary carry in winter and course/IDPA gun. I like Ameriglo sights. For the money they are really tough sights. I run i-Dots on it and my 43. I don't like the 3 dot set ups. Black or very simple rear sights seem better. I have 10-8's with a fiber optic front on a 19 and don't like them as well. The FO pops in daylight, but it's all I seem to see and takes me away from the actual sight. I am about to try a set of all black Defoor sights on another 19. Simple and about $50. Lots of people who really train at night say night sights are actually not useful... but that's another thread.

My 17 has the worst trigger of my Glocks. The issue is too much travel. I have tried connectors from Glock (-), Ghost, and Lone Wolf. I am using a LW 4.5# right now, but still not happy with it. In truth if I were you I'd just go with the sights and shoot the trigger as is for a while.

Have fun....

ErickS likes this.
  18. RugerFan1911

RugerFan1911

Check out Orange County Custom Enhanced Triggers. An OEM Glock trigger...highly polished, pre-travel adjustable...only $40. Put one on my 34. Love it. They have several options.

Also put Dawson fiber optic front sight. I've got a Heinie rear sight to put on it, but so far been happy with the Glock adjustable rear (Gen 4) that it came with.

19. dom42

dom42

Wait for the truglo tfx pro coming out in about 2 weeks. The regular Tfx's are so badass and these new ones are gonna b even better.

They have info on them on their site.