close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Glock Failure

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Priapism, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Priapism

Priapism

I shot my G26 Gen 4 today. Was shooting Speer GDs 124 gr +P and AE 115 gr. After a couple hundred shots I was down to my last 2 rounds and then call it a day. I had the AE in at the time. As I went to pull the trigger to the break point it felt soft. I pulled all the way and there was no break point, it didn't fire.

I then took the mag out and racked the slide a few times and the trigger seemed fine. Took the slide off and checked the firing pin safety and the trigger and both seemed fine. I loaded those 2 round into a different mag and same thing happened. At this time I should have inspected the rounds but was sure it was the gun. I again racked the slide and checked the trigger operation and it was fine. So, I loaded it up with Speer and shot 10 rounds out of one of the mags and the gun worked. I then fired 10 rounds out of the other mag that had the problem and it was fine.

When I got home I inspected the gun closer and it looked like the firing pin safety wasn't sticking up as far as normal and looked a little dirty. I broke the slide down and the firing pin safety spring looked good as did the depressor plunger spring. The extractor was dirty and the firing pin safety was also. I cleaned everything good and I replaced both of those springs even though they looked good - they're cheap.

My question is, since this is a SD carry weapon, should I go ahead and replace the trigger bar and connector to be safe? Or, are there any other ideas as to what this could have been? Could ammo cause this? I think I left those 2 rounds at the range.

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

The AE round was probably out-of-spec, holding the slide slightly out of battery.

From the 2009 Glock Armorer's Manual, possible causes and solutions:
    Inconsistent trigger pull or trigger will not break:
    Connector loose in housing - replace housing
    Pistol is excessively dirty - clean
    Wrong trigger bar - replace
    Connector needs lubrication - lubricate
    Trigger bar is bent/damaged - replace trigger bar

It's possible too that the connector has the wrong bend angle. You can check Ghost Inc's instructions for adjusting the bend angle of the connector, which apply to all Glock connectors. Scroll down to "SECTION II: INSTALLATION ROCKET & TACTICAL:", then scroll down to "Note:":
    http://www.ghostinc.com/c=n34GdP9Knx1EuueOHdcCXqYB8/category/istallationinstructions/
    Also scroll down to the bottom to "SECTION III: TROUBLE SHOOTING" and read the trouble shooting chart pertaining to the bend angle of the connector.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

3. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

This... That is if all other parts are fine.

4. barth

barth six barrels

My RSA got weak and every once in a while the gun wouldn't go back completely to battery.

Replaced the RSA with an OEM unit and problem solved.

5. scosgt

scosgt

Sounds to me like it did not go into battery. At the range, load those rounds and see if it fires when you smack the back of the slide.

6. Priapism

Priapism

Thanks for the suggestions. If I was thinking properly when this happened I could have probably diagnosed the problem at the range. I didn't check for full battery but just ejected the round. I didn't inspect the round. When I changed mags with those 2 rounds there was a 50% chance that the bad round was the first to be chambered. Will do more next time.

I did take the connector and trigger bar off and compare the bends to new spares and old parts and those look fine.

The likely candidate seems to be an out of spec round. The thing to do is shoot it.

7. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

I agree. Had the same thing happen in my G17 with a round of WWB that was too long in OAL to let the slide go fully into battery. The only stoppage that gun has ever had in some 2,000 rounds.

8. Priapism

Priapism

So if I can assume that it's the ammo then I didn't have a Glock failure. 5 Glocks, 10s of thousands of rounds. Would be a shame to spoil that record

9. tango44

tango44

Glock failure?
    I will say ammo failure!
    Never had a problem with my G26 Gen4!

10. bruzer

bruzer

There is only one safe way to properly bring your Gen 4 G26 back into service for SD. Only I know secrete so I am sending you prepaid shipping label. I will properly bring your weapon into SD service at no cost to you. Your safety is all I am concerned with. I have never had a disappointed customer. 100% satisfaction. Don't delay the safety of your unborn Grandchildren could be at risk.
    Mike