Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for a first time glock owner. What do you suggest as far as a home defense/ carry gun. Keep in mind I've shot revovlers and recoil doesn't bother me. I plan on buying within a week.

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
you can also convert it to 357 sig with a straight barrel swap.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You have all the answers you need in those two posts.

I had a 23 for about 10 years. Got bored with it and sold it. I kicked myself for 6 months. Bought a 33, kept if for a couple years, decided I liked mid size better and sold it to buy a 19 thinking I would be happy with 9mm. After a while I decided I missed the .40/.357, so sold the 19 and bought a 23.

Picked up a Wolf conversion barrel for cheap practice with 9mm and will be getting a .357 barrel when I find the right deal. After all that I realized I wasted a lot of money only to get what I had started with. Sometimes you got to miss something to realize how much you liked it...

·
Just sayin'
4,637 Posts
Glock 19 because the ammo is cheaper. Then see if you can find an Advantage Arms .22lr conversion kit (good luck) for more inexpensive range fun.

·
American
702 Posts
G19 because it is dead sexy. Plus with 9mm you can actually afford to practice, and I dont see anyone volunteering to stand in front of a 9MM

·
Registered
68 Posts
I owned a G23 first and sold it to my brother, and I just picked up a new to me G19 yesterday.

I happen to prefer a 9mm just because of the difference in the price of the ammo. I can afford to practice more.

·
Banned
18,888 Posts
I'd get the G19 first. I love mine. I have 3 .40's and I love them all, but with ammo prices the way they are now, you'd be more likely to shoot alot more. And, afterall, that is the point. But, do get a .40 later. Their great. Then...a .45, a 10mm, a .357, .44....:embarassed:

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
G19 because it is dead sexy. Plus with 9mm you can actually afford to practice, and I dont see anyone volunteering to stand in front of a 9MM

A dude in the area took a 9MM the other day. Don't know if he volunteered to stand in front of it or not. Can't ask him either as the good guy had great shot placement. :whistling:

23 plus a 9mm conversion barrel

Twice the calibers, same great taste.
If I was starting over. I would get the G 23. Then I would get a conversion barrel, to shoot 9MM or 357sig. I have a G 19 and love it, but got the G23 for
work. I love the G 23 and G27 also, but it would have been cheaper to just get the conversion barrel to drop in the G 23.:wavey:

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a G23C and it recoils like the G19. Either one is a great gun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
They are both fantastic guns... buy both. If you need to buy one first I would recommend the Glock 19 because of the price of ammo... that being said, find a range and rent both... make your own decision.

·
Registered
93 Posts
can you onlyl convert g23 to 9mm but not g19 to g23?

You can only go from .40 to 9MM using a conversion barrel. You can't convert a G19 to shoot .40 cal. Thats why I dont understand why people say is cheaper going with the 9MM. That statement might be truth, but is a quick fix for a G23. Just get the conversion barrel or barrels, and you can shoot 9mm, .40, 357 sig, hell you can even get a AA kit and shoot .22LR. Thats 4 calibers with one gun. Talk about versatility, try doing that with a G19. G19 is a great gun, but you are getting more for your money with a G23.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
You can only go from .40 to 9MM using a conversion barrel. You can't convert a G19 to shoot .40 cal. Thats why I dont understand why people say is cheaper going with the 9MM. That statement might be truth, but is a quick fix for a G23. Just get the conversion barrel or barrels, and you can shoot 9mm, .40, 357 sig, hell you can even get a AA kit and shoot .22LR. Thats 4 calibers with one gun. Talk about versatility, try doing that with a G19. G19 is a great gun, but you are getting more for your money with a G23.

I had another range session today where my G19 sat on the sidelines. With my more versatile G23, another flawless 100rds .40sw and 100rds 9mm with my LWD 40-9. I can have the 180gr .40sw for SD and the 9mm for range plinking. Excellent!

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
Go with the G-23 or G-32 because you can convert either one to the other caliber plus 9mm if you want. I have a G-32 and two 9mm pistols. If I had to pick one it will always be the .357sig.

I have shot .40S&W that a friend has but not a whole lot. My impression is that if I had the G-23 and the two 9mm I would always pick the G-23.

And once you have the pistol that can convert to other calibers you have a definite feeling of assurance that I don't have with the 9mm's. Some insecure types will go off on all kinds of rants when somebody like me writes things like this but it's just my personal opinion and observations.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Ok for a first time glock owner. What do you suggest as far as a home defense/ carry gun. Keep in mind I've shot revovlers and recoil doesn't bother me. I plan on buying within a week.
buying new or used? it's usually easier to get deals on used g23's than on used g19's. perhaps something to think about anyway

i like the g19 better. i have both

1 - 20 of 37 Posts