First FTF with my Storm Lake 40-9 conversion barrel

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KK40384, Feb 19, 2010.

1. KK40384

KK40384

I had some time today so I decided to squeeze off a few rounds at the range. About 70 or so into the session the G23 fails to return to battery.

[​IMG]

First instinct was tap, rack, bang but the rack part didn't happen. I had to wrestle with the slide for a few minutes before it finally broke free. This is what came out:

[​IMG]

I think it's safe to blame the FTF on the crappy ammo. This is a reload by the way I picked up at a gunshow for dirt cheap and I got what I paid for :crying: Anyway lesson learned on using someone elses reloads. Rest of the rounds went through without a hicup. The 40-9 barrel has about 500 rds through it

2. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

It happens. When I first got into reloading, I had a couple get wedged in there pretty good and had to bang it out with a rubber mallet. :supergrin: That was a long time ago. :whistling:

3. den888

den888

That's bad ammo, for sure. My conversion has been pretty reliable. 1-2 FTF/FTE's on the first trip and none since with the conversion barrel and G19 magazine.

4. KK40384

KK40384

I thought about that but the range officer was right over my shoulder making sure i kept the muzzle pointing downrange that whole time since it was a live round in there. It made things just that much more annoying. I felt like I had 2 left hands or something lol

5. mteagle1

mteagle1

Next time that happens, hold the slide firrmly with the support hand and jam the frame forward with the gun hand.

6. KK40384

KK40384

That was the way I got it free but it took a few tries before it came loose

7. Highplainsman

Highplainsman

Is there some reason you guys don't use Glock 9mm barrels in your conversions?

8. KK40384

KK40384

The outer diameter of the glock 9mm barrel is different than the 40 S&W. Conversion barrels have a larger OD to fit in the 40/357 slides. There may be other reasons also but i'm not 100% sure

9. Highplainsman

Highplainsman

Thats good to know because I had considered getting a 9mm Glock barrel and try fitting it to my G-27! Also appears that the other after markts are more economical than Glock barrels. Thanks!!

10. Jon_R

Jon_R

The lone wolf conversion barrels have tighter chambers then your standard glock barrels. At least that has been my experience. A round that will fail to chamber in my G35 with a 40-9 conversion barrel will almost always chamber and fire fine in my G17 or G19 with the factory barrel. A tighter chamber has its pluses and minuses but I considered getting mine opened up more. I am action shooting not bullseye. Function is top priority but I prefer to not chamber gauge every round.

11. MajorDude

MajorDude

I bought the Storm Lake because it has conventional rifling and I wanted to shoot lead bullets through it.

Works great! I bought the .40 and 9mm barrels for my G23.

12. Highplainsman

Highplainsman

Hmmm! In looking on the sites of Storm Lake and Lone Wolf it seems the latter is quite a bit less costly. I might consider a 9mm and 357 sig barrel for my G 27. By reading previous posts on this site I notice various owners swear by both.

13. KK40384

KK40384

Good point. I completely forgot about lead bullets.

14. Highplainsman

Highplainsman

I want be shooting cast so this is not an issue but since yiou brought it up does the Lone Wolf barrels have conventional or polygonal rifling?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010