First Firearm - G19 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Kith, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Kith

Kith

Yo -

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Recently picked up my first firearm, a brand new G19 3rd gen.

Needless to say, I am very happy with it.

I was surprised by how much I enjoy handling it...looking at it...taking it apart...etcetera...

I guess you all know what that's like, but I wasn't as...in-to I guess... the other guns I have handled/'played' with in the past. Maybe it's the fact that it's mine personally, but something about the Glock just demands my joy and attention! I think it's more then just ownership, it seems like this is one of the most durable/reliable tools in the handgun category of stuff, and that really speaks to me. Now that I actually have it, I can't put it down when I am home.

I got a chance to 'play' with a bunch of different types of guns while I was in the boy scouts when I was younger - and thankfully had quite a few gun safety sessions. None of the other guns I handled really strummed my heartstrings like this.

So I guess I know what it's like now to be 'bitten' by the Glock bug.

(I keep putting the word 'play' across like that because you don't play with a gun - but handling it safely and conscientiously is tedious to say and I do get a massive amount of enjoyment out of it - so... compromise)

I wanted to say thank you to all of you in this community. While I was doing my research on what type of handgun to purchase, this forum was instrumental in my decision to go with a Glock. The wealth of knowledge here is astounding! I am very appreciative of the effort all of you put into your passion for Glock here, and it is so very helpful to people outside of this community.

(But what really sold me was that thread where the G21 goes through the torture test videos. Funny side story - A friend of mine handled my Glock, and decided in the end that he didn't really like it. Said that it was too plain, and the weight was odd because the lower is polymer instead of metal. After watching those videos and reading through the thread with me, he wants one too!)

I filed my paperwork for my carry license a few weeks ago, so only a few more weeks until I can take it with me. Of course, this means i'll have to come to terms with not being able to handle it all the time. I suppose just having it with me will be enough though, so no worries.

I decided to go with the 9mm because I have an interest in developing my shooting skill with my off-hand. I figure that 9mm is a light enough recoil where I will be able to build up my strength on it without losing control of the gun in the process, which would obviously be bad!

A few years ago, I fell into a door and acidentally put my off-hand through one of the pieces of glass in it. Unfortunately for me, the door was about 90 years old, and it wasn't safety glass. I severed two tendons in my wrist, and had to have surgery to re-attach them. Consequently, I worry about straining it too much too quickly, so starting with something light seems like the right way to go.

I went with the G19 model for carry. I am a small person, and I get the feeling that a G17 would be uncomfortable and difficult for me to conceal, at least in the beginning. Maybe after I get used to carrying what I have now i'll be able to move up to the fullsize model comfortably.

Either way, another G19 is close on my horizon. Very soon i'll be picking up a second one. First i'm going to set up my GSSF membership, and then use my certificate towards it after it comes in. I've decided to become a lifetime GSSF member right from the start, especially since i'm young enough for it to be that much more worthwhile. My LEO distributer is not too far away from my house, so that's happy.

I am certainly going to add many more Glocks to my collection - and I really think I started it off right by a Glock being the first firearm I own. I really wish they made the 10mm in the compact size...I would buy it in a heartbeat without a second thought.

I like the way the compact feels in my hand, so the next caliber i'll purchase is probably either .357 (G32) or .45 G.A.P (G38). I firmly believe I should have (at the very least) 2 of each type of gun I would own, so those purchases will be made in doubles also (inasmuch as the law allows). It just seems to make sense to buy two of the same, then get a parts kit for it. I figure that way I'll have a backup if one goes down (umm...it's a Glock so that probably won't happen...but remember, boy scouts, be prepared!) and i'll have the parts on hand to repair anything that goes screwy. It's always easier/better to use parts you already have and then replace them, then to have to wait to get what you need.

Well, wanted to say hello (or as we say in Philly - Yo), and thank you all for helping me to make a sound investment in something i'll be able to pass on to my kids someday.

2. robertwh

robertwh

You bought one of the best models ever manufactured! Congratulations!:wavey:

3. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

Congrats to another G19 owner! :wavey:

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Good choice congrats.

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Welcome to the site and good choice.:thumbsup:

6. G23c

G23c

good call, the G19 is a classic. now go get a cheesesteak (wit!) from Pat's to celebrate.

7. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Congrats, the G19 is the best of the best in 9mm

8. b1012sharp

b1012sharp

You'll only be happier the longer you shoot the G19...congratulations!

9. itsveryniiice

itsveryniiice

Lol.
    They do seem to have more of a "neatness" to them than my other stuff. A range visit always seems so much happier when I take a glock. Cant really explain why, probably similar to the way I love cutoff wheels and dead blow hammers more than "other" tools.

***QUOTE****
    "I was surprised by how much I enjoy handling it...looking at it...taking it apart..."

10. conpro

conpro

Its the ak47 of pistols.