close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First defensive shooting class with new Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by lawboy, Mar 15, 2010.

1. lawboy

lawboy

Finally got to put more than just a few rounds through my G17, 19, and 26 this past Saturday. Signed up for a basic defensive shooting class in anticipation for my CHL class this coming Saturday, in part to make sure I could still hit the broad side of a barn, and in part to make sure the Glocks were running well.

The hour long class when closer to 1:45, and I learned a lot (failure drills, movement, etc.). Used a lot of ammo, primarily with the G19, and had no malfunctions of any sort. My impressions:

The Glocks are as accurate as the shooter.

I was surprised at how little I knew at the beginning of the class.

I was shocked at how much I knew at the end of the class.

Shooting with a purpose (training, improvement, and focus on real-life defensive scenarios) is a lot more enjoyable than plinking soda cans.

After about 200 rounds, the G19 was surprisingly clean.

I'm not really looking forward to the CHL class (I'm guessing more classroom time than range time), but I am looking forward to more lessons and joining the local range. Plus, the Glocks are really cool.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Bravo. The secret to success is practice with a purpose. Burning up 200-300 rounds just shooting at cans is merely burning up ammo. There are many, many facets to shooting that require practice with a purpose. Since I practice for competition, I nearly always use a shot timer.

For personal defense, practice:

1. one shot drawing from concealment

2. two shots from concealment (controlled pairs)

3. two hots at each of two targets

4. two shots at each of three targets

Your object is to keep every shot within an 8 inch circle at 7 yards or more.

Sometimes I only shoot 50 rounds at practice, sometimes it's 200+ rounds. It depends on what I am practicing.

3. muckdawg24

muckdawg24

Hey bud,
    Was this a specific NRA class? I am looking to start a defense shooting course soon and I was trying to figure out which one to take. Thanks!

4. lawboy

lawboy

To be honest, I'm not sure. It was done through a local training company at an NRA affiliated range. The training company has the permission to teach at the range (and conduct CHL classes), but is not part of the range itself, if that makes sense. The course is described as "Basic Defensive Shooting".

5. mainegunner

mainegunner

Congrats you are headed in the right direction. I try to take at least two defensive handgun classes a year. Permiting I have the extra money and ammo. All of the classes I have taken are at least 8 hours and 500 rounds of ammo. I really enjoy these classes there alot of fun.

6. JETHRO38

JETHRO38

Good Thread guys! I need training! All i had was CWL class training! And that was almost a year! Doea anyone know of any cheap classes in Sarasota FL? Thanks!

7. mainegunner

mainegunner

Some of the classes I have taken in maine was with weaponcraft. These guy's are in law enforcement and former military. The basic classes start off around $185.00 dollars for an 8 hour class plus you supply 500 rounds of pistol ammo. The more advanced classes run around $225.00 for 8 hours + ammo. The rifle classes run around the same price + 500 rounds of rifle ammo and 50 rounds of pistol ammo for transition drills. Just to give you an idea.

8. SPDMTL

SPDMTL

Try this www.armedcitizenleague.com

9. JETHRO38

JETHRO38