First day Gettysburg

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Coffee Talker, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Tirian2530

Tirian2530

Yep, Chamberlain later served as President of Bowdoin College, and as Governor of Maine.

FullClip likes this.
  2. Tirian2530

Tirian2530

I think I remember reading that Lee felt that a retreat would adversely impact his troops' morale, and possibly also expose his army to Union attack as they disengaged.

Instead Lee chose to gamble, even though I get the feeling that he knew in his heart that retreating would have been a safer option.

As you pointed out, the terrain was very unfavorable, especially since General Richard Ewell had inexplicably failed to occupy Little Round Top before the battle started.

3. RJ Schuknecht

RJ Schuknecht

You are thinking of Culp's Hill, not Little Round Top.

Had the Confederate Army occupied Culp's Hill on July 1 the Federal Army most likely would not have stayed to fight at Gettysburg because it would not have had the advantage of controlling the high ground. Meade probably would have pulled the army back to Big Pipe Creek to take up a defensive position between Lee's army and Washington. That was Meade's original plan when he took command on June 28.

Tirian2530, Dirty bird and Bomber Nav like this.
  4. tlnargi

tlnargi

“Take that hill....if practicable.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tvov

Tvov

It is probably the 1993 movie. A lot of the history is explained, the actual battle is presented well.

Two minor things, one humorous: 1. A lot of mumbling and talking that is difficult to understand, especially with everyone having big beards. Then again, I have this issue with a lot of movies.

2. The outfits / costumes: are GREAT! If I remember correctly, this was the largest gathering of Civil War reenactors ever? Which is great, but brings up (at least to me) a humorous point: Throughout the movie, most of the soldiers uniforms are spotlessly clean the whole movie (the impression I got)... which I can understand, the reenactors paid for and take care of those uniforms, so they naturally want to keep them clean. I did find that a little amusing.

Tirian2530 and jstrange like this.
  6. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

My great grandfather served as a private under Ewell's command at Gettysburg, was wounded and made a POW on 1 Jul. He miraculously survived his wounds and the war.

7. Dirty bird

Dirty bird

Lee takes heat for Ewell’s inaction because his orders were discretionary, but he was used to issuing those type of orders to Jackson and Longstreet, who then would take the initiative to adapt and adjust to carry out the orders as circumstances dictated. Ewell wasn’t that kind of officer-he needed strictly defined orders to function.
    Yeah, Jackson would have taken the hill and the battle at Gettysburg, and possibly the entire war, may have unfolded completely different.

First shot and Tirian2530 like this.
  8. Tvov

Tvov

That is impressive, from what I know of that status of army medical practices at the time and the state of the prisoner of war camps.

9. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Yes, you're right about that. Often wondered why/how he came through when so many didn't.

After a while I saw in a reference book in the genealogy section that he was part of a POW exchange for a Yankee (er...Federal) lieutenant. Figured a Southern private or two was a fair trade for Yankee LT. :kidding:

:couch:

Tvov likes this.
  10. First shot

First shot

Today was about 92 degrees and pretty humid in Gettysburg... Tomorrow about the same.. I’m in Virginia with very similar conditions... I simply cannot imagine how anyone could fight, shoot, or run even fifty yards, in those uniforms, in that heat & humidity.. All the smoke from the black powder alone had to be confusing while trying to advance...Add to that, everyone knew that they were likely to be killed at any time... I can’t begin to fathom how terrible that must have been..... All to save the Republic... Good God Almighty, we have to keep it....

BigBull 301 and Tirian2530 like this.
  11. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I was a history teacher and I got into the Mountain Man Rendezvous as a way to learn and experience the history of our area. There is nothing like feeling a little of our history to understand it.

I want to walk Gettysburg in the heat of summer. And I want to walk Valley Forge barefoot in the dead of winter. and I want to see the spot where Von Steuben gave his report on the troops to Washington. That was a pivotal moment in history.

rotorhead1026 likes this.
  12. lawandorder

lawandorder

Scamp57 likes this.
  13. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

In light of (and in total disagreement with) the current custom of trashing historical figures because they weren’t “perfect” ... von Steuben was quite possibly a pedophile. Yet we still owe him much.

mike from st pe likes this.
  14. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Really was that even a thing in the 18th century?