First day Gettysburg

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Coffee Talker, Jul 1, 2020.

1. rj1939

rj1939

Where the movie "Poor White Trash" was filmed
    I've always been puzzled as to why Lee persisted in Gettysburg, he seemed far too savvy to waste resources that couldn't be replaced on such an unfavorable battle terrain. Then I ran across a suggestion that he had suffered a heart attack during that time...........and it was bolstered by the fact he seemed to have been plagued by heart trouble after that.

2. jmohme

jmohme

And it is now day 2.
    157 years ago today, General Lee's army is now mounting its unsuccessful push on the army of the Potomac.

BLM members should be celebrating this, but I suspect few, if any of them even know what happened in Gettysburg.

Rotn1, norton, flyover and 1 other person like this.

3. Tvov

Tvov

My family went to Gettysburg about 15 years ago. It helps to watch the movie Gettysburg before visiting the battlefield. Also, the campground we stayed at had an impressive interactive model of the battlefield, about 10ft by 20ft, that had built in lights, sounds, and spot lights to highlight the map as the narrator talked. I believe that model may have been moved to the visitor center, or it's own building.

Gettysburg is huge... we had only one day to visit, so we got the "car tour" CD to self-tour the battlefield. Worked really well - we could stop for as long as we wanted anywhere, and retreat to the air conditioned truck for breaks in the middle of the hot humid summer (which reinforces what the soldiers in the battle endured).

There are monuments to men from almost every state somewhere on the battlefield. I believe it is one of (if not the) largest outdoor memorial areas in the world. There are memorials literally tucked everywhere.

It improves your experience (I think) to try to find monuments for the soldiers from your state. If I remember correctly, Connecticut has 3 monuments there - interestingly, 2 out of the 3 CT monuments have clovers on them. A lot of Irish background soldiers came from Connecticut, for whatever reasons.
    I am probably getting details wrong, it was awhile ago.

Impressive and humbling place to visit.

4. Bradley T

Bradley T

That Somme Offensive ended up lasting dang near half a year and brought over a million casualties total.

Coffee Talker likes this.
  5. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

My brother lived in Gettysburg with his family for years. My niece did lectures on the tours thru the battlefield and ghost walks.

jmohme likes this.
  6. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Been to Gettysburg many times. The last time a couple years ago. We've done audio tours and various walking tours in the past.

The one we did the last time we were there was a guided bicycle tour. Took all day, got to see the whole battlefield. You really get a sense of the ground and elevations when your ride/walk it. It was amazing.

7. RJ Schuknecht

RJ Schuknecht

The insignia for the Second Corp was a clover leaf. Most likely the clover leaves were to signify the regiments were part of the Second Corp and had nothing to do with Irish heritage.

Tvov likes this.
  8. ibewshooter

ibewshooter

I wonder if the BLM protesters are going to tear down monuments at Gettysburg?

mike from st pe likes this.
  9. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I've toured LOTS of Civil War battlefields.

Like Antietam and Vicksburg, Gettysburg is a special place.

My wife have been there maybe 6-7 times. When you walk the battlefield, particularly the areas from Day 2 (Devils Den and Little Round Top) and think about charging and being charged while under fire for hours in that terrain it's very humbling.

Everyone should visit there if they can, that battle (and Grants victory at Vicksburg on same dates) literally sealed the Souths fate and preserved the Union.

10. PrescottGlock

PrescottGlock

Ab-so-lutely.

The museum has a piece of the old wooden fence that ran between and parallel to Seminary Ridge (Confederate position) and Cemetery Ridge (Union position). The fence was one constructed with posts every 10' or so and with cross-beams with open area between the cross-beams. Good for fencing in cattle and horses, but not dogs. Here is a photo that I think shows what the fence looked like:

[​IMG]

During Pickett's charge, the Confederates had to climb the fence. The portion of the fence in the museum measures about 12' long. You have to see it in person for a tiny measure of the bravery those Confederate troops showed ... the piece of fence is absolutely riddled with bullet holes. I think the museum display advises how many bullets were removed from the piece of fence.

And the Confederate troops climbed that fence, under that fire, and reached the Union troops - who would not give in. Hand-to-hand fighting for a while at Cemetery Ridge.

Incredible. Indescribable. You really have to see it to believe it.

Lincoln received telegraphs on the evening of July 3, 1863 and the morning of July 4, 1863. The one from Meade advised Lincoln that the Union had turned back Lee's army and had inflicted serious damage to the Army of Northern Virginia. The telegraph from Grant advised that the Union army had taken Vicksburg, the Confederates had in fact abandoned the city, and the Union now controlled the Mississippi.

Lincoln reportedly broke down, knowing that the never-before-seen sacrifice was going to keep our country together. He had been tormented by the losses, on both sides, and that day - July 4, 1863 - is in my estimation the second greatest day of our nation (behind only July 4, 1776).

And some want to remove his statues. I am close to crying for my great country at this stage. I am humbled by the astonishing bravery of America, and Americans in general. We are a unique people.

Traveling by ship over thousands of miles of open ocean, where a simple cut might mean death, to reach America.

Fighting and beating the greatest army on earth, to form a nation.

Fighting that great army yet again, very soon after it defeated Napoleon, and once again vanquishing it to keep our country free.

Viciously, savagely fighting one another in bloodshed the planet had never before seen, to keep the country together.

Fighting in Europe, at a cost of tens of thousands of American lives, to help our allies in England and France.

Fighting in Europe again, landing on Normandy, to defeat totalitarianism, at a cost of 350,000 American lives.

Advancing space flight, landing on the moon six times - the only people to have done so.

Thank you, God, for America and making me lucky enough to be born here.

11. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

Very moving...thanks for posting...I'd bet a Ruth Chris steak the majority of these gutless protesters have no clue about any of this history

PrescottGlock and DonGlock26 like this.
  12. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

You might be interested in this one as well:

View: https://youtu.be/0JLvRJzvOic

jmontgomery likes this.
  13. jstrange

jstrange

I know there are several out there, but is there one movie everyone agrees is the definitive Gettysburg experience?

14. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

These men, on both sides, fought and died for their beliefs. I honor and respect them all, and may they all rest in eternal peace, which is all any of them ever wanted in the first place.

FullClip likes this.
  15. RJ Schuknecht

RJ Schuknecht

jstrange and jmontgomery like this.
  16. Dirty bird

Dirty bird

I love that movie. I Used to take time after our state testing was over to watch it with my history classes. I had a huge map I had printed out in parts, taped together and laminated that I used to show them the three days. After viewing, we would use the classroom computers to go thru the Gettysburg website, which had scads of pictures of the battleground, monuments, etc.

Tirian2530 likes this.
  17. tlnargi

tlnargi

I just planned a trip with my dad to go at the end of this month. I went two years ago and did a 2 day tour using a field guide and the final 1/2 day using a park ranger. Cant wait to go back.

Does anyone know what’s operating at the battlefield? Everything? Is the visitor center open too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Rotn1

Rotn1

I have never been able to get remotely comfortable in Gettysburg. The scale of the death, carnage and waste of brave men bothers me in a way I can't explain. A very special place for sure.

FullClip likes this.
  19. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

On my bucket list. Oldest Maternal ancestor was with Washington for most of his battles. As far as the Civil War, the major battlefields are on my bucket lists. Been to a few of the small battle fields. Hopefully I can make it to the big ones before ANTIFA and BLM try to erase them.

20. Tirian2530

Tirian2530

Yeah, the battle probably would have had a very different outcome if Henry Heth's division had been able to dislodge Buford's dismounted cavalry before Union reinforcements arrived.

Another missed opportunity for the South was to seize control of Little Round Top when they first arrived at Gettysburg, before the Union Army could station troops there.

General Richard Ewell was responsible for that mistake. Isaac Trimble begged Ewell to let him occupy Little Round Top, but Ewell repeatedly refused.

If the South had controlled Little Round Top during the battle, they probably would have won.