First cutomer calling to "get rid of this VISTA crap"

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aaronrkelly, Mar 18, 2007.

1. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

I have limited Vista experience, safe to say Im not impressed.

I have set in front of two Vista Home machines....brand new machines with hardware that would make XP fly and they run like crap. The "not responding" pops up in the window title 90% of the time.....lags hard. Seems everything takes twice as many steps and twice as long to do as a XP machine with half the resources.

I had a few customers call and inquire, I advise them to pass till the first service pack.

One didnt listen.

She just HAD to have Vista.....wanted me to install it on her old 1.4GHz Dell with 256MB of RAM.....I refused advising her Im not even sure it would RUN....let alone run decent.

She just HAD to have Vista so she went and bought a new PC with Vista installed.

1 week later she calls me. Apparently her new computer is a slug and some of her program are not compatible. I almost laughed at her on the phone, really I did.

Its official, I just hosed my first copy of Vista.

Out came Vista, in went XP Pro.

Now the machines FLYS.....no lag, no problems....everything works and shes happy.

I have YET to see what the big deal with Vista is. There is no way this thing is ready for prime time on lower powered, cheaper home PCs. It was PAINFULLY slow. Simple things like accessing the control panel took almost a minute of hard drive grinding before it popped up......

I dont understand what MS is thinking on this? I would NOT be impressed if my new PC ran like this?

Anyone else with me on this or Im I missing something?

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

While I think part of it is definitely Vista's ridiculous system requirements, also to blame are the absolute crap PC's that have been getting put out for several years.

For several years, all of them(Dell, Gateway, etc.) have used inferior hardware, low amounts of ram, and so on. On XP these PCs would still work, just not as well if the machine were configured to work with quality components. This probably isn't news to anyone here in TT, or anyone who has built their own machine in the last 3-4yrs, but they all suck. I can't think of one OEM PC I could recommend to anyone, except maybe Alienware (and I'm even starting to read a lot of complaints on them).

I believe with the things I've been hearing about Vista, this is an incredible opportunity for other OS's, especially Apple.

IGF

3. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly

I agree, but some users are well served by a $750 computer....or less sometimes.

I have ALOT of casual users. They want to surf the net, download email.....etc.

These were always the people I steered towards the $500 or $600 special of the month.

The problem I have is when the damn PC wont run the operating system.....its supposed to be a base piece of software to interact with your hardware and program.....its not supposed to be a bloated, uber-graphical, shiny waste of resources.

I cannot, or will not, recommend casual users the cheaper system with Vista. The damn thing takes forever to load and just navigation the OS is painful.

And to top it off EVERY time I attempted to run Internet Explorer it would crash......every time. Impressive.

Click.....wait.....ohh, its not responding.....yep, there now it is.....nope, not anymore.....ohh, ohh its gonna load......maybe not.....finally, there it is.

That crap gets tired REAL fast......and it was that way with almost everything on the two machines I was using.

Maybe if you had 2GB of RAM it might be as fast as XP Pro is with 512MB.

I think they would be better served by NOT licensing Vista for machines like this. Leave them to XP.....

4. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Vista is bad code. The base home version doesn't even come with Media Player so you can't even watch videos with it. All version of Vista run slow on any pc no matter how fast it is because it is written with too many lines of code. MS just doesn't get it, they keep making their O/S fatter and fatter so no matter how fast the new pc's are they still run slow. You have to have the Business or Ultimate version to connect to a domain. IE version 7 is junk too. I have users that installed have problems all the time. I have them remove it and go back to version 6 and it fixes all their problems. I don't know why MS won't write effecient code. They have thousands of programmers working on the project and they end up with Vista being so fat that you end up with a slower pc than you had seven years ago. I'm sticking with XP Pro on new pc's with 2 gigs of RAM.

5. najaboy

najaboy Guest

Wow. Unfortunately, you've begun with some gross misinformation.

Windows Vista Home Basic comes with WMP11. Perhaps you're confusing Windows Media Center, which is something quite different, with WMP.

Also, you may not want to make overly broad statements along the lines of "all versions of Vista run slow no matter the hardware." Vista's not for everyone. If you have a lower-end PC, then yes, it will run slower. On the other hand, there are machines, such as the one I recently built for myself, where Vista will run circles around XP.

6. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I hear and understand your pain! :shocked:

7. lens

lens

All "branded machines" come with Symantec (or other) "junkware", as well as all sorts of other junkware that will slow any machine down. It takes a few hours to remove all this crapware from any machine (doesn't matter if XP or Vista).

That said, Vista is NOT a good solution for older hardware. Yes there are some issues and for most, waiting out SP1 would not be a bad move.

8. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Well, its real fun to authorize every freaking action you want to make. What about the fact that you cannot burn a DVD or Music that is copyrighted. SO much for making backups. Yea, I understand that alot of people are making illegal copies of things. But, just like guns. They restrict everyones action because of some of the people.

Honestly, until they come out with a service pack that handles the need for a huge amount of ram and the security crap. I am not buying the dang thing.

I was a beta tester for Vista. Yea, yippy. Funny thing is my copy still works :crazy: Since I started testing. I knew that it was a hog. It was slow and choked alot. Drivers had been a issue. Keep in mind.I have a good computer. Yet.I could not find good 7800GT OC drivers to save my life.

I ended up giving up on it. It sounds like they didn't fix to much before release. SO, I will not be getting it for some time.

9. RM

RM Millennium Member

When I got my new laptop a while back it came with Vista, however it only had 1 GB of RAM. It was slower than then Celeron M it replaced that had a slower processor and it had allot of programs stopped responding messages. However, when I put the 2nd GB of RAM in it all its problems went away. Now it is extremely fast and no more software not responding messages.

I heard on the radio the other day some computer chick talking about Vista and what MS hasn't really talked about it takes 2 or more GB of RAM for optimal performance.

10. RM

RM Millennium Member

I run DVDfab and anyDVD and haven't had any problems burning a user copy of the DVDs I buy. I haven't tried any audio CDs yet though.

11. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

I had real issues trying. Maybe they fixed that in the release version. At least they did something for the release version.

12. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Interesting observation. I'm constantly amazed at how much people are willing to give up to save a few bucks. It's like there's no correlation in people's minds between paying a little more and getting a better product (see the success of Wal-Mart as example #1).

That said, I've been buying pretty basic boxes for my office from Dell's outlet, and have been pleasantly surprised at how well it's worked out. I got my last batch of Optiplex Gx620 (top of the Optiplex range) for $400/each last year, with 3.0 Pentium 4, 512 RAM, 80gig HD's, onboard video, CD-ROM drive, and in small form factor cases. They even came with a three year on-site next day warranty!

So, it's not that the makers are providing inherently crappy products, IMHO, just that lots of people are buying very low end models, and are then shocked when it can't handle a major upgrade...

I'm just not honestly sure that there's a significant difference between an Alienware and an Optiplex for anyone but a hardcore gamer, who's really stretching a system out.

Until, of course, you try to add Vista, which seems to require what would have been Alienware specs a year ago just to boot up.

:tongueout:

13. najaboy

najaboy Guest

Also, if you find the User Account Control alerts annoying, as most people do, it can be easily turned off.

As for driver issues, perhaps we should place blame where it actually lies- with the individual vendors. Nvidia has made great strides in their recent releases, but still has work to do. The same holds true for AMD.

14. Altaris

Altaris

Ding ding ding. You don't know how frustrating that conversation is on the phone with some people. People think the $299 promo that is used to drive calls will run their high end AutoCad on Vista just fine. The amazing part is it is not just the mom and pop shops. I run into "IT guys" for companies with 500+ people that don't get it either, and it makes me wonder what kind of interview process they have.

So many people see 1 factor and 1 factor only...Price, and they couldn't care less what kind of benifits(or peace of mind) that a couple extra dollars would save them in the long run.

That being said, pretty much anyone I talk to that knows what they are doing is sticking with XP. I am really not selling that much Vista at all.

15. kawalerzysta

kawalerzysta

Agree, my brothers Ibuypower (Uniwill) laptop with AMD 64 3400+, 1 gig of ram and 128MB ATI9700 (dedicated) after upgrade to Vista Premium runs the same as it was running with Windows XP. I would also upgrade my laptop, same specs except it is Ibuypower build on Asus chassis, but at this point I can't because Asus did not release new bios for vista.

16. Mr. PC

Mr. PC Guest

I will never upgrade to Vista.

Thanks for the heads up!

17. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

I'll bet they were angry when you hit them with a $700 bill for a licensed copys of XP and Office... and labor...

All of my customers want something for nothing so when they want something installed I tell them to purchase it first and then I'll install it..

18. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

That's a little difficult to do when the software you are trying to be compatible with is completely closed source. All you can do is run a ton of test cases on a ton of different configurations, and hope you get enough corner cases covered to sell enough of your product to make a profit.

19. kimigirl

kimigirl Guest

I have Vista and have been enjoying it. That said I am a technician so I decided what hardware went in. It has an Intel Duo Core Processor and 2 GB of memory. It runs the aero interface and I have had no probs...it Vista Premium.

20. lens

lens

David, you obviously have no idea how an OS development team operates.

MS will send a team of developers to work with the major HW mfrs to ensure that drivers can be developed that will work with a new OS. MS makes the offer, but the mfr has to commit to do the actual work! Some do and some don't. They all blame MS however when something doesn't work,

I know this since I have been Beta Testing MS' OSes since DOS 6.0 and as a former MS-MVP have met with their development teams numerous times. When I was Beta Testing Win98, my IBM proprietary MWave modem didn't work . . . filing bug reports and pushing it up the flagpole got IBM (in Israel) to work with MS development team to get drivers released with Win98 for the MWave devices.

I recall one high-end video card mfr that refused to develop drivers for MS' new OS (probably back in the Win98 days) and I castigated them publicly and privately (within the MS controlled newsgroups). They wanted everyone to throw out their "old cards" (expensive and mine was probably 6-8 months old) and buy new models. I even got an unsolicited phone call from their national marketing manager trying to defend their position . . . I told him where to stick it! Don't know why, but that company went out of business a number of years ago! :)