Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to get away yesterday and use the chrono for the first time. Worked great, except I couldn't get the chrono and my cell phone to link. When I got home my daughter explained it was some setting on my phone and I'm just so clueless about...
Anyway, interesting results. My bunny fart 38 wadcutter loads certainly are bunny fart at 620fps from a 4" barrel, 570fps from a 1 7/8" barrel! Going to step them up a little. My slow 9mm loads for steel challenge aren't. 1210fps average from a 5" G34 and 1150fps from a 4" 1911. Want to slow those down and still cycle the action. My +p gold dot loads in 9mm don't look so +p at 1100 fps. Will work on them too.
Very happy I got it. The information is a puzzle piece towards finding a proper load.
Unclebob mentioned replacing the metal rods for the shades with wood dowls . Wouldn't want a bullet strike on metal rods! I found 3/16" dowel, but it's to big in diameter. Real PITA sanding them down to fit. Has anybody found anything else to use?

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
What size are the rods?
Cut the wooden dowel to length. then put one end in a drill, grab the other end with sand paper and turn the tip of the dowel down to size. If you cant find dowels to fit. I know they make dowels smaller that 3/16.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Well I like the chrono to help me calculate ballistic trajectories for various loads of ammunition.

For reloading they’re extremely helpful to see what performance you can expect from various loads and bullets.

I wish I had one that uploaded data to my phone, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
The big hobby stores have many different sizes of dowels. I should have learned my lesson after destroying my ProChrono after hitting a diffuser rod right above the housing. I've meant to get dowels, but it's been on my "when I get around to it" task liat for probably 10 years.

Glad that you're getting the valuable intel that you seek!

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Given the choice, I try to do chrony on cloudy days. Placing the chrony in shade also works. If you have to put it in sun, I find it works better to be shooting perpendicular to the sun's projection.

It also helps consistency to put the bullets down near the chrony. The diffusers probably aren't even necessary on a cloudy day.

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
I have an early Oehler, great screens. I can get away without the diffusers early am or late pm. Direct overhead light is the worst. Agree, cloudy days are the best for testing.

Reactions: Mountain10mm

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
I have an early Oehler, great screens. I can get away without the diffusers early am or late pm. Direct overhead light is the worst. Agree, cloudy days are the best for testing.
We have shelters at the south ends of all our bays, so it's pretty easy to keep the chrony fully in shade all year. But it really seems to help to shoot right down over the top of the box, not way up in the middle of the triangle formed by the rods and diffusers.

Of course you also want to be shooting parallel/normal to the top of the box, not at skew angles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got to get away yesterday and use the chrono for the first time. Worked great, except I couldn't get the chrono and my cell phone to link. When I got home my daughter explained it was some setting on my phone and I'm just so clueless about...
Anyway, interesting results. My bunny fart 38 wadcutter loads certainly are bunny fart at 620fps from a 4" barrel, 570fps from a 1 7/8" barrel! Going to step them up a little. My slow 9mm loads for steel challenge aren't. 1210fps average from a 5" G34 and 1150fps from a 4" 1911. Want to slow those down and still cycle the action. My +p gold dot loads in 9mm don't look so +p at 1100 fps. Will work on them too.
Very happy I got it. The information is a puzzle piece towards finding a proper load.
Unclebob mentioned replacing the metal rods for the shades with wood dowls . Wouldn't want a bullet strike on metal rods! I found 3/16" dowel, but it's to big in diameter. Real PITA sanding them down to fit. Has anybody found anything else to use?
I’ve never come close to shooting the rods so I use OEM metal. That said I put a 9mm round right through the chrono shooting a PCC with an optic on the rifle. I “forgot” the optic was a couple inches above the barrel and didn’t compensate. Only make that mistake once

·
Registered
36,277 Posts
We have shelters at the south ends of all our bays, so it's pretty easy to keep the chrony fully in shade all year. But it really seems to help to shoot right down over the top of the box, not way up in the middle of the triangle formed by the rods and diffusers.

Of course you also want to be shooting parallel/normal to the top of the box, not at skew angles.
This is why Cronies get shot, cheap screens. The Oehler screens let me shoot 8-10" above them, always get a good reading if not in full sun.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
My slow 9mm loads for steel challenge aren't. 1210fps average from a 5" G34 and 1150fps from a 4" 1911. Want to slow those down and still cycle the action.
Why do you want to have slower loads for Steel Challenge? There is no power floor, so get them going as fast as you can to shorten the cycle time. When I was shooting Open for Steel Challenge, I ran a 90 gr to over 1,600 fps.

One time I loaded a 200 gr FMJ .45acp to 6.5 grs of TG, clocked over 1,200 fps blowing fire out the barrel. Turns out the load should have been 5.6 grs, oops. I ran .357RemMag 180 gr NyClad (the old Black Talons) out of my S&W 640-1 with a 1-7/8" barrel at 1,000 fps. Thought it was smoke at first, set it back 15 feet, it was real. And our issue ammo, WW SXT 127+P+ 9mm can go over 1,350 fps in a OEM G17.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why do you want to have slower loads for Steel Challenge? There is no power floor, so get them going as fast as you can to shorten the cycle time. When I was shooting Open for Steel Challenge, I ran a 90 gr to over 1,600 fps.
I was thinking keep muzzle rise to a minimum. I see what your saying, but the pistols seem to cycle a whole lot faster than I can move!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is why Cronies get shot, cheap screens. The Oehler screens let me shoot 8-10" above them, always get a good reading if not in full sun.
It was a pretty sunny day and I was aiming towards the top of the triangle, I was terrified of shooting the chrono! It never missed a reading.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
That chrono session was insightful.

You are going to get some great use from it.

I wanted to thank you again for the heads-up on the sale for those. Mine came in a few days ago. I gotta pick up a 9V and a spare and have it ready for the next range session.

I'll be going to Lowe's and/or Home Depot Wednesday for some "final" materials I need for building my reloading bench. I'll look for some dowel rods while I'm there. It's a great suggestion from @Uncle Bob

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
One time I loaded a 200 gr FMJ .45acp to 6.5 grs of TG, clocked over 1,200 fps blowing fire out the barrel. Turns out the load should have been 5.6 grs, oops. I ran .357RemMag 180 gr NyClad (the old Black Talons) out of my S&W 640-1 with a 1-7/8" barrel at 1,000 fps. Thought it was smoke at first, set it back 15 feet, it was real. And our issue ammo, WW SXT 127+P+ 9mm can go over 1,350 fps in a OEM G17.
Good info in general, but I have to I have to disagree with you regarding your comparing a Nyclad with a Black Talon. When I started my current Law Enforcement job nearly 20 years ago, we were issued Black Talons. I still have a box of them. They were made by Winchester and replaced by the Ranger SXT. The rep semi-jokingly told us that SXT stood for "Same eXact Thing". They were Black Talons without the black color. Still have a box of them too.
The Nyclads were made by S&W and dark blue. I still have some (not a whole box) from over 30 years ago. They don't look anything alike. I can send pictures, but I don't know how to get them off my (new) phone.

·
Registered
15,064 Posts
If it is a Caldwell chrono you have to turn access to your microphone on in the app settings.

Took me a while to figure that out. I had to call them. The app is quite handy once you get it running.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts