First CCW - Glock 43X/48, Sig P365/P365XL?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by CC268, Jun 5, 2020.

1. CC268

CC268

Hey guys,

Not new to guns (a lot more involved with shotguns - sporting clays and skeet), but I've never actually had a CCW despite the fact that I've had my Conceal Carry Permit for 5 years now ha. My wife has a Ruger P95, but it's a clunky gun that mostly sits in the safe.

Anyways...for years I thought I had my mind set on a Glock 19. My dad owns one, I've shot it, etc. I figured I would mostly get one for home defense. Now I'm thinking if I am going to purchase something, I ought to get something I can conceal carry if I want to. I am 6'1" and 185 lbs - I'm not sure how well I could conceal the Glock 19, but I've never tried.

I've started to look more seriously at the Glock 48 (maybe the Glock 43X). Then I started doing more research and came across the Sig P365 and P365XL. I've heard a couple people state that if they could only have one handgun it would be the P365XL. I started looking pretty seriously at the P365XL, but now I am caught up on the whole safety thing - should I purchase the version with the manual safety? Does this gun need one? I'm a bit ignorant here as I've just never conceal carried before. Not to mention I can't even seem to find a P365XL with the manual safety.

Any feedback, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. -JCN-

-JCN-

You really can’t go wrong with any of them. They will all get the job done.

At your size, the P365XL is a great all around choice. Optics ready if you want to do that later. Manual safety is easily removable if you don’t want it later.

I find the P365XL to be the best shooter (for me) out of that bunch. I retrofit the manual safety on mine and it took about 10 minutes and that includes Dremel notching the frame.

So if you can’t find a manual safety model at this time, you do have the option of adding it later.

The regular P365 is what I carry normally because it’s so dang comfortable and doesn’t poke me when I sit. I give up a little performance for the comfort.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020

3. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO

I don't have experience with the Sig but I hear it's good to go out of the box. I carry a 43X regularly. Shield makes a flush fitting 15 round magazine. In order to use it you have to change the magazine release, but if I could do it anyone can. 15+1 is a nice setup. I also changed the sights.
    I don't think you need a manual safety, but a good belt and holster are a necessity.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  4. grecco

grecco

I am working on a G43x with the shield 15 round mags,
    its a game changer.

checkyoursix and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  5. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

First, welcome to the forum!

You get to decide what is right for you, and the options you mention (Glock's and SIG's in various sizes) will all serve you very, very well. It is how you intend to use them that will guide you.

I prefer a smaller concealed carry gun (G43/365 over the G48/365xl) but that is because I value the smaller carry over the larger size (for house guns, I have the opposite... large handguns with large capacity).

First, ALL of these guns are "safe" without a manual safety (assuming the gun owner handles them responsibly!). Some folks prefer a manual safety, and SIG offers that option (Glock does not). I have a 365 without a manual safety, and also bought a 365 with the manual safety (a year later, when they were launched). I am perfectly fine with either. I have a slight preference for the manual safety version for a small pocket/small carry gun, but that is a personal choice, and I am comfortable with both versions.

Those guns are ALL super-reliable, and would serve you well.

Based upon what you said...
    A G19 is a GREAT "jack of all trades" gun. But it is a pretty large carry gun, and while some are happy carrying a gun that size, some are not. I am not. It would make the best nightstand gun for home defense of the group, though. So your math starts there... is carry the top priority, home defense the priority, and how do you balance varying strengths and weaknesses (without buying two guns to ideally address the two very different needs).

A 365xl is larger than a 365, but the 365 can still hold the 10,12, and 15-round magazines (the 365 can be "bigger" but the 365xl cannot be "smaller"). The feel of the grip between the small (G43/365) and larger (365xl/G43X/G48) are different. Similar, but different, with some preferring one over the other in terms of how it fits their hands.

For me, when carrying, I want a really small, reliable gun with good ammo capacity. For me, the 365 is the clear answer, and if it were my only gun, I would actually be okay with it as a night stand gun (not ideal, but it would work... I'd rather have a G17/226/etc.). For me, I would rather have a comfy, small carry gun to meet carry needs (and live with a sub-optimal fit for home defense) than have a gun optimal for home defense (and have to carry a bigger gun that is sub-optimal for concealed carry). Individual choice will guide you here.

My two SIG 365's have been perfectly reliable, and the only gun I see that is close for my concealed carry wants/needs is the Hellcat (with the G43/x/48 or Shields slightly behind). When looking at the photo below, keep in mind my openly stated bias, namely "I want a small carry gun". For people who like a bigger grip, and a larger feel in the hand, you may prioritize the exact OPPOSITE of what I prioritize, and want the slightly larger guns!

I would try to shoot (or at least hold) these guns to help you decide. I am 6'1" (but, sadly outweigh you by over 50 pounds) and do have XL hands. I actually feel good with my pinky curled underneath the small grip of the 365... I love the feel of the gun. Some prefer a larger grip though, so you need to decide for you!

Here is why I chose the 365 over the Glock counterparts:
    • 365 has 10+1 rounds (with 12 and 15 round magazines available with grip adapters)
    • G43 has 6+1 rounds (with no OEM magazine options, but some third party extensions on the market, with varying levels of confidence among forum members)
    upload_2020-6-5_11-0-46.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Willard and -JCN- like this.
  6. fistagon

fistagon

Get a 365 and put an XL grip module on it.

/thread

7. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

depends on how you want to carry. and if you want to pocket carry (maybe the most comfortable and versatile method), this excludes the 43X/48. if pocket carry is a possibility, then the P365 (not XL) or Hellcat, in my opinion, and the best options out there.

rock_castle and boilergonzo like this.
  8. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

I EDC a G48. Also, had a Sig 365 and sold it. It (365) was great (very easy) to carry and conceal with the twelve round mag. Had a terrific (easy to pick-up) front sight. Only problem was, I did not shoot it well. Slow fire was O.K. - speed drills were a disaster. It was like gripping a magic marker that would recoil. I tried a couple of grip sleeves - didn't work. The grip circumference was just too small for my average size hands.

So, CC268 I would try (rent or borrow) the Sig 365, G48/43x and the Hellcat (I've never seen or shot one) and shoot them all. Do a few close range speed drills: (just as example) triple taps at 5 yards and swing shots at two targets 7 yards apart. Some shooting where you have to move the gun. Finally, I don't see the point in carrying a pistol that is easy to carry but you can't shoot well. This is what left me carrying the G48 and not the Sig 365.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :cheers:

9. JGIORD

JGIORD

You need to handle them all to see what fits your hand the best and what points most naturally for you. Anyone can learn to handle any gun, so it becomes more of a personal preference.

I've had them all and settled on the P365XL. It just works the best for me, especially since I need a red dot.

I am also not a fan of manual safeties on carry guns. But again you just need to train yourself to get used to disengaging the safety on your draw. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

-JCN- and boilergonzo like this.
  10. CC268

CC268

Thanks all - this was fantastic feedback.

The biggest issue I face right now is that I can't find ANYWHERE locally that has any of these guns in stock. I am still calling around. Everywhere has been cleaned out do the riots I think. So that pretty much eliminates the ability for me to go handle these different models, and leaves me at the mercy of GunBroker or some other online retailer.

-JCN- likes this.
  11. CC268

CC268

Your bolded statement above hits the nail on the head. I realize a gun good for carrying may not be the best home defense gun. Realistically I will end up purchasing something for carrying and then home defense, it's more so just a matter of which one to prioritize right now. I think I'd prefer to have something I can conceal for now and add the home defense gun later.

I really wish I could get my hands on a Sig P365 and P365XL to compare. Unfortunately, none of the gun stores I've called here in AZ have anything in stock. I'm kind of at the mercy of GunBroker and buying something sight unseen. I guess it is better than nothing...

boilergonzo likes this.
  12. CC268

CC268

Also...I think if I go down the Sig road, I will definitely opt for the manual safety.

13. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Yeah, guns are a bit hard to find in some places right now with the panic buying.

Your logic makes sense to me. If you buy an easy-to-carry gun, it can fairly easily do nightstand, home-defense detail until you get a gun you prefer for that role. The reverse is less true. Taking a nightstand gun for easy carry can be an issue.

Good luck!

Glolt20-91 and CC268 like this.
  14. CC268

CC268

Yea at this point,
    Yea, at this point I may just order a P365 with the manual safety off GunBroker. Not a big deal to buy something else down the road.

rayzer007 and -JCN- like this.
  15. TRPearson

TRPearson

I currently own 5 Glocks, one of which is a G43. After my experience with a MPX I swore I would never buy another Sig. That is until i shot my son's 365XL. I liked it so much I bought one myself. As said previously, if I only could have one handgun the 365XL would be the one.

16. CC268

CC268

Also...how do the ladies fair with the P365 for purse carrying? Thinking about getting my wife one as well...

17. CC268

CC268

Stupid question, but your saying you can buy the 365 and get a 365XL grip to essentially make it a 365XL?

18. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

To the OP:

Most of us have tried a number of different guns for CCW, it really is just such a personal choice. I have personally owned over seven, maybe 10 different carry guns, just trying them out. Don't sweat it, just buy one and try it out. As long as you buy a quality gun, it almost doesn't matter which one, cause you'll want to change in a few months anyhow. It really helps if the wife doesn't mind you spending some good money each year on guns. Hell, now that I count, I've prob got 15 carry guns in the safe that I've carried from time to time. Just do yourself a favor and only buy quality guns. And a lot of them.

We could start a 12 step program.

checkyoursix, Glolt20-91 and CC268 like this.
  19. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

To the OP:

Most of us have tried a number of different guns for CCW, it really is just such a personal choice. I have personally owned over seven, maybe 10 different carry guns, just trying them out. Don't sweat it, just buy one and try it out. As long as you buy a quality gun, it almost doesn't matter which one, cause you'll want to change in a few months anyhow. It really helps if the wife doesn't mind you spending some good money each year on guns. Hell, now that I count, I've prob got 15 carry guns in the safe that I've carried from time to time. Just do yourself a favor and only buy quality guns. And a lot of them.

We could start a 12 step program.

20. CC268

CC268

Honestly about the pull the trigger on two P365s...one for me and one for the wife!