close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First bike opinions

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by pyroman002, May 12, 2006.

1. pyroman002

pyroman002

I just graduated and am looking to get into riding bikes. Back in highschool I rode an old 81' Honda 4-stroke that got ruined in Katrina flooding. I rode that bike around the neighborhood and through some light dirt trails for a few years worth of afternoons. I laid it down several times on rocks and mud, but never injured myself.

I am torn between going straight to a Harley Fatboy or getting something a bit tamer/lighter to start with. I am 5' 10" and am heavyset (fat and muscular). I am not really concerned with an inability to manhandle a large machine.

I know most of the people on this board are sport-bike fans, but am looking for some input.

Thanks.

2. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I'd only suggent putting down some more miles before getting a high dollar bike. If you like Harleys, try to find a used model that appeals to you and will hold it's value, ride it for a year.

Then you can sell it for virtually no loss and get the dream bike. Perhaps your ideal bike will have changed after you've ridden a bit longer. You don't necessarily want to be married to a new bike right off the bat.

Most Harleys lead a pretty babied lifestyle.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If you have riding experience, especially dirt riding experience, then a Harley will pose no problem. Like any other bikes, just take it easy until you learn its behaviors.

Going from dirt bike to a cruiser you will notice a few things immediately:

1. Most obvious is the weight.
    2. The height. You are used to sit up and look far ahead. Now you'll have to look around cars and trucks because you're a lot closer to the ground.
    3. The handling is slow and awkward.
    4. The brakes don't slow the bike down that fast

Don't get suckered into the high prices that people would want for their used Harleys. This isn't five years ago. The HD market is saturated with bikes, both new and used.

4. pyroman002

pyroman002

Sounds like sage advice. I have been considering looking for a fairly used Fatboy to get used to.

I was a little more concerned over my choice of size/weight for a first bike.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Since that you have a few years of experience under your belt, this bike wouldn't really be your "first".:supergrin:

Caution is good but over-caution isn't. I wouldn't recommend a heavy cruiser to a complete newbie, but if you already got times under your belt then that's a different story.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

For the life of me, I'll never understand why someone thinks they can ask just as much(in some cases I've seen MORE) as NEW price for a 4 or 5 year old bike with 5K+ miles on it.

Do Harley owners really believe their bikes don't depreciate?

I know it's worth what someone's willing to pay, in that case there must be a lot of dumb ****ers out there...

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

About a bit more than five years ago, H-D received a massive revival and everybody and their brothers and sisters clamored for one. So the prices rocketed for both new and used bikes. And people have been buying them thinking that they won't depreciate. While it's true that they may not depreciate as much as your garden variety Japanese bike, they do depreciate, especially in a saturated market. Why buy a used HD for about the same price of a new one? When you can't get a new one and the waiting list is 6 months long, it's a different story. But nowadays you walk into a Harley shops and there are dozens upon dozens of models waiting on the showroom, why pay for a used bike what you can get for a brand new bike?

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I just have an issue with your "fat and muscular" comment. Isn't that all of us? If you like Harley's and have riding experience, I'd go for what you want, and skip the middle bike. You have basic experience, and I'd expect that you'd practice on your new bike and maybe take a riding course as well with it prior to using it as primary transportation.

When I got my MC license last year (again, after 20 years)I was totally humbled by the guys that were driving hogs that passed and the guys that were driving ricers that didn't. It's all about practice. Nothing against ricers by the way, but those guys didn't practice.

9. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

This was because of the upcoming 100 year anniversary. H-D is a marketing machine that is probably only second to Coca-Cola or McDonald's, they are just a lot more subtle about it.

So now you've got all these people that paid MSRP (or more) for their 2003 100th Anniversary, rode them once a month to their local HOG get-together, or perhaps a 100 mile poker run, and have run up close to 2000 miles on their "investments", and now they want to get out from under it.

Unfortunately, and to FN's point, Harley's are a dime a dozen today and what they had hoped to make on their bikes just isn't going to happen.

10. pyroman002

pyroman002

Well, it's been a few years. I'm gonna practice a bit on an old Honda shadow for a bit before making the leap for the HD. My stepfather has the old honda and a HD Road King.

It's been several years since I've ridden, and never a "touring" size bike. The HD weighs 3x what the dirt-bike weighed.

I do plan to take the riding course, even though I'll probably have the bike before there's an opening in the next course (recently there has been a run on those courses, no open slots till July.)

Guess I'm not really into fast racing and knee scraping, I enjoy cruising and it seems HDs are more comfortable for long rides.