First antenna

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Historian, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Historian

Historian NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

Howdy,

Ok it's time to put up an outside antenna and see what happens. Like most people, I live in an area where I can't put up a tower.

And I've done all sorts of research and I think it may be a case of over thinking it.

But what kind of antenna would you recomend for a limited amount of space to work 2 meters or 6 meters. I'd like to do both. But if nothing else, I'd like to get 2 meters working.

I also would't mind working am. sats. if possible. I've done some reading about this rea too.

I've ready about dipoles, par electionics, buddipoles, you name it.

So what's your most practical advice?

2. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

I just ordered my first antenna...
    http://www.arrowantennas.com/j-pole.html

I ordered this one based upon the review on e-ham. When we do our simplex testing for our ARES training no one can ever hear me on my 5 watt HT at my house so I thought this would be a good way to get out there a little better.

3. FN64

FN64

4. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I just finished running the cable for my second antenna, an MFJ-1796 40/20/15/10/6/2 meter half wave vertical antenna which is made by Hy-Gain. The next step is to pound the bottom 10 foot mast into the ground with a sledge hammer. Then on goes the top 10 foot mast with the antenna connected to it.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1796

I also have a Solarcon IMAX 2000 24 foot vertical that I use for 10/11 meters.

5. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

for 6 meters build yourself a wire dipole:
    http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=7536

For 2 meters, you can build a So 239 1/4 wave ground plane.
    http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

I've built a lot of SO 239 antennas, all of them work pretty good, and they tune easily.

You'll need an SWR meter or analyzer if you want to get into building an antenna, I have a Diamond I'd let go cheap to the right person.

I like the J poles pretty good, they don't like being mounted near metal though.

Also, you can build a dual whip dipole with an adapter, I have one set up for 6 meter, works good, but remember to mount it high enough so you get a good skip, my 6 meter antenna is 20 ft above ground.

My next project is a 160 meter inverted vee. I have procured a 40 ft tower I need to get standing, then I'll be good ;)

If you just want to buy an antenna or 2, www.hamstick.com has some good stuff.

6. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

If you're going to buy an off-the shelf 2m/70cm the arrow j-pole is great. Very solid construction, no ground plane, great bandwidth.

7. Historian

This very antenna was mentioned in QST this week as it was mounted on a flag pole 20ft up.

I think this is going to be my solution for now. :)

I really appreciate the advice everyone has given me. There are some great links in these posts. I suspect the next step is to put it up and see what happens!

8. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

I have a 25 ft telescoping flag pole I got off Ebay for $100, works great as a mast for antennas, but remember if you mount a J pole, they don't like metal around the radiators, use a section of PVC to elevate the radiator above the top of the metal mast.

9. Historian

I think you're reading off my notes. :)

Anyone have any experience with Arrow Atennas? All the reviews on Eham seem to really like their stuff.

10. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Arrow makes good antennas :) but they don't build a thing you can't do yourself.

That J pole they make is 3 pieces of alumiumn rod, angle, some nuts and bolts, and a So 239 to 3/8 antenna adapter you can find at any CB shop....

the blueprints are avaliable at just about every ham oriented website, and usually if built to plans they come out tuned pretty good.

11. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

I've had their j-pole in use for almost a year. No complaints.