close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First...and LAST....time I'll let THIS happen!!

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by das9mm26, Jan 27, 2010.

1. das9mm26

das9mm26

Went to my local range today...
    Shot my G36 and Colt Agent....
    Probably 130 rounds total....no sweat....was actually shooting the 36 for functionality more than accuracy...
    Anyway.....got done, policed up my brass, and headed out.....and it hit me....

I SHOT ALL MY AMMO!!!!:wow:
    I mean.....NOTHING left!!
    Now I'm faced with a dilemma....I can pay the range owner big $$ for a handful of ammo to stoke my "toys" for the trip home....or....
    CARRY EMPTY!!

It shames me to say..being short of cash....the decision I reached....
    I am just lucky that:
    a.) I was alone, in daylight, traveling in a "good" area..
    b.) No family members or friends were with me...
    c.) Nothing bad happened....

BAD JUDGMENT on my part.....and something I will be sure NEVER happens again!!:crying:
    When folks tell you: "You can never have too much ammo"....
    BELIEVE THEM!!

2. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

At least you didn't get there and realize that you brought the wrong ammo like someone I know lol

3. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Shame on you:shame:
    I have shootin mags for plinking/practice/puppy prowling
    And then I have my SERIOUS mags-THEY STAY FULL NO MATTER WHAT
    I always have at least 50 rounds of the chosen JHP's

4. Tru7h

Tru7h

If you have less than your weight in ammo, you're running low.

5. Wizz

Wizz

Now that would suck. I always worry about me forgetting something since I go to a private range which = bring everything yourself.

For the OP a good idea is to simply pull your carry mag out when you get to the range and set it in your range bag...that way you'll have at least that full mag for the ride home should you get carried away which can happen.

6. Captainns10

Captainns10

Hahaha

Ive done that once before.

Now i always carry a box of self defense rounds with me when I go to the range and reload before i leave.

I like steel head's method of having general shooting mags and having an addition extra mag or two that stay full with SD rounds.

7. SagKC

SagKC

Same here. I may not always have a backup mag on the way home, but don't carry home empty since I may shoot one of my carry mags with SD ammo periodically before switching to practice stuff but slide in the other SD ammo / carry mag for the trip back home.

8. Comp_sH00teR24

Comp_sH00teR24

HA...I did this once, but I wasnt the one carrying. I think I was 12 or 13 and at the range with my dad shooting his sig p239. He was in the lane next to me with the ammo and was loading mags for me to shoot. I was just picking up mags off my bench and throwing lead down range. I didnt notice that one of the mags he laid down was full of JHPs (for SD and not shooting). So ofcourse I sent those down range too and didnt even realize it. Needless to say when we were cleaning up and getting ready to leave I got in a bit of trouble, but I think my dad wasn't too mad cuz he was the one that left the loaded mag at my bench haha. He ended up loading the gun with assorted JHPs the shop owner had in a coffee can for the trip home. OOPS.

9. vmann

vmann Controller

when i go to the range, i dump my carry mag out into my range bag, i have 5 other mags that i use for the range...but i keep my sd ammo mag for my ride home, or i carry another pistol with me...

10. J_Rico

J_Rico

I remember that when we were younger, my shooting buddies and I always shot ourselves dry.

These days (and I'll admit to a bit of paranoia) I have a designated carry gun that stays loaded and on me the whole trip. That carry gun does not get fired that day (I hope).

I'll swap out which gun it is (kind of like a designated driver) so they all get to play at some point.

11. madcitycop

madcitycop

Yeah I drop my carry mag and leave it in my bag and use my other mags. Next time just pull one of the guys aside and ask them if they have any reloads laying around that your short on some cash and weren't thinking and your weapons dry. What's the worst thats going to happen? He's not going to rob you he knows you have no money :)

12. kensteele

kensteele

Exactly, that's how I do it. Dedicated magazines. Then again, I never go to the ranger with less than 3 guns and I certainly can't shoot all the ammo I carry to the range.

13. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

I once loaded up all of my .22 rifles for a range trip, then realized when I got there that I left all the .22 ammo at home on the shelf.

I recommend keeping a box of your carry ammo always set aside. I shoot my carry ammo once a year, and buy in 50 round boxes. So, that leaves me 23 rounds at home, with 2 mag loaded. (for the G23)

14. BK63

BK63

I usually have a pocket gun in my pocket when I'm at the range that I am not shooting that day. When I leave the range all the dirty guns that need to be cleaned are in a range bag. This way I still have something on me.

15. G8Kpr

G8Kpr Sheep Dog

+1! This is what I found works best for me - the mag in the gun and the spare get set aside at the beginning and I use 'range mags' for everything else. That way I never 'go home alone' and, in the VERY unlikely event someone turns into instant a**hole with a loaded firearm, I'm just a click and a rack from being in business.

I've even taught my kids to ALWAYS set aside at least 1 mag full that doesn't get shot that session and my daughter has it so ingrained in her that she even taught her boyfriend that 'that's how it's done' when I took them to the range.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  16. krush777

krush777

I feel left out! I have traveled home from the range with my guns empty more than once. I shot all my ammo and didn't put a mag or speed loader to the side. I always had a combat folder clipped on my pocket and/or pepper on my keychain and FWIW - I never felt vulnerable at all. But I wouldn't recommend having empty guns.

17. MSBullock

MSBullock

:rofl:I love this quote.

18. KujoGlock19

KujoGlock19

I always shoot the top SD round from my carry gun every range trip. I carry chambered so the top round is the chambered round... Keeps me from chambering the same round over and over and prevents setback... I always bring a single SD round with me to replace it.

The worst I have done (and I HATE that!!!) is forgetting that single, and I am left one short on the ride home...

19. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

I would have "bit the bullet" and forked over the cash for a small box of SD ammo before I carried an empty gun.

20. Scott in Houston

Scott in Houston

This thread is amusing. Are you guys this concerned about being unarmed, for what, 30 minutes? (the trip home)
    I mean, I get the desire to carry and protect yourself seeing as I do it too, but it seems like the OP was in a virtual panic about being empty for a few minutes.