Glock Talk banner
21 - 40 of 168 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I would think that they give themselves the "auditors" title because they're looking for both the credibility of the title and they view themselves as above the LEO and empowered to judge them. Truly hilarious considering the trash that actually take on the role.
Every law abiding citizen IS above the LEO
Every citizen IS empowered to judge the LEO
Don't like it... don't become a LEO

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will say first that I worked on the 911 ambulance in my county for 20 years, and we worked a lot of calls together with local LEO and I have many friends in Law Enforcement. I see these videos and also see the LEO asking people if they are baiting them, and sometimes it seems to be the excuse they give "well they baited us". My question is simply this: Then why do you keep taking the bait? As many others have stated, stop taking the bait and they will go away when they can't get what they want.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Have you actually dealt with them? We get plenty of exposure to them. Ignoring them doesn’t work. Doing something stupid like walking up and taking their picture just causes them to get more into your face. What works is engaging them in dialogue that is quite neutral, neither agreeing or disagreeing with them. Talking about anything under the sun and passing the time with neutral banter until they themselves get bored and leave.

A group of them walked into our lobby one night. I invited them in. Asked them if the lighting was adequate for their filming, and offered them some coffee. I continued to barrage them with non-controversial, neutral banter until they got quite bored and left on their own accord. It never made Youtube because they didn’t get anything useful or controversial out of it.
This. If I have to deal with them I usually talk about a fake pet I "own" and it's adventures. This usually gets them to leave when they grow tired of my rambling.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
I will say first that I worked on the 911 ambulance in my county for 20 years, and we worked a lot of calls together with local LEO and I have many friends in Law Enforcement. I see these videos and also see the LEO asking people if they are baiting them, and sometimes it seems to be the excuse they give "well they baited us". My question is simply this: Then why do you keep taking the bait? As many others have stated, stop taking the bait and they will go away when they can't get what they want.
A good cop cannot be baited

·
Registered
107 Posts
A good cop cannot be baited
I agree and I don't think I could do it very well either. But, I had a deputy tell me once that right after he got out of the academy an Old LEO he knew gave him some advice and told him that if he ever had an encounter with someone and they made him mad, he told him them to bid them a good day and let them go. Seems good advice as I think emotion causes you to not be rational anymore and that's what I see in so many of these videos.

·
NRA Life Member
73,562 Posts
So what did the guy do to cause the deputy to come over and even speak to him? That is missing from the video and every story I see.

This "1st Amendment Auditor" is basically another version of the "open carry activist" - by which I mean an attention-seeking ***hole who needs a beating to get his mind right.

The 1st Amendment says you can stand on the corner with a burning American flag, calling minorities n*****r and s**c, same as the 2nd Amendment says you can go in Walmart with an AR and terrorize the moms from the trailer park. That doesn't make you a hero for doing it.

·
Registered
25,896 Posts
As stated by others here I can't stand the " auditors" on Youtube. I always wonder why these people have nothing better to do. They are wasting the time of the officers and keeping them from responding to a real call. I laugh at the channels with " Press" or " News" in their names when they aren't reporting on any real news.
On the other hand, the reporting by “mainstream” outlets is just as credible, or less credible than the self appointed reporters….
🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
25,896 Posts
So what did the guy do to cause the deputy to come over and even speak to him? That is missing from the video and every story I see.

This "1st Amendment Auditor" is basically another version of the "open carry activist" - by which I mean an attention-seeking ***hole who needs a beating to get his mind right.

The 1st Amendment says you can stand on the corner with a burning American flag, calling minorities n*****r and s**c, same as the 2nd Amendment says you can go in Walmart with an AR and terrorize the moms from the trailer park. That doesn't make you a hero for doing it.
You’re my hero
:)

·
Premium Member
3,500 Posts
Why do you "have" to deal with them?
From the LE perspective, because we get dispatched to do so, typically because they’re reportedly harassing people or trespassing. Whether they actually are doing so or not we usually won’t know until we check. Now, how we deal with them is on us. As has been pointed out, there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it. But, often, these people are doing more than just standing there with a camera. On occasion they are actually breaking a law because they’ve taken their little “baiting” game a bit too far and crossed a statutory line. Those stories probably don’t make the YouTube as much, but they do happen.

·
Registered
11,644 Posts
From the LE perspective, because we get dispatched to do so, typically because they’re reportedly harassing people or trespassing. Whether they actually are doing so or not we usually won’t know until we check. Now, how we deal with them is on us. As has been pointed out, there’s a right way and a wrong way to do it. But, often, these people are doing more than just standing there with a camera. On occasion they are actually breaking a law because they’ve taken their little “baiting” game a bit too far and crossed a statutory line. Those stories probably don’t make the YouTube as much, but they do happen.
Yes, but those stories are usually titled along the lines of "Neo-Nazi, jackbooted thugs on power trip ignore law to illegaly arrest innocent newsman." If they get charges dropped then that becomes a video too. If charges are pressed, it just dies out in the background noise.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Those dam auditors..how dare they trick police officers into violating their oaths and making them violate peoples rights...dam those jerks for making the police chiefs and sherrifs fire them and then force them to apologize for their actions and to make them say they dont condone their actions....DAM THEM AUDITORS FOR FORCING COURTS TO AWARD THEM HUGE PAYCHECKS TO COVER UP THE WHOLE SITUATION :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I have some legitimate question, if you know the answers please share your knowledge. Same with the OP @LordAnderson. Are the auditors self employed? Do they get paid by their YouTube channel or some other means besides lawsuits? Define huge paychecks. Is it something that I can retire on? How much time do I have to put in recording? Is it like once a week for a hour or two? Or do I need to do this everyday for 4-8 hours? How much out of pocket expense will I have to get a good quality camera, a lawyer on retainer, bail or bond money if I get arrested, fuel costs, vehicle maintenance, and lastly any educational requirements in order to be an auditor?

·
Unfair Facist
30,102 Posts
Why do you "have" to deal with them?
generally because a citizen (you know the ones who are “above” the LEO’s) called in a complaint about them. Are you suggesting that LEO’s disregard the complaints made by their citizen overlords?

·
Registered
506 Posts
generally because a citizen (you know the ones who are “above” the LEO’s) called in a complaint about them. Are you suggesting that LEO’s disregard the complaints made by their citizen overlords?
If the complaint is "There's someone standing on the sidewalk filming and we don't like it!" then I would have to say yes, absolutely, go ahead and ignore that call or at least take your sweet time getting there.

·
Premium Member
3,500 Posts
If the complaint is "There's someone standing on the sidewalk filming and we don't like it!" then I would have to say yes, absolutely, go ahead and ignore that call or at least take your sweet time getting there.
It’s almost never that. We’d like it to be so simple.

·
Registered
25,896 Posts
Honestly I would love to see large LE entities start telling callers “we don’t do that…”. A lot of them would too…

·
Unfair Facist
30,102 Posts
as Warbow already noted that is unlikely to be what is dispatched, more likely is a suspicious person or some other like trespass, or some other behavior.

any experienced cop knows that very often the complaint that was called is often not what is actually going on. And that fact is why cops respond.

a call about a suspicious vehicle at a known “ lovers lane” turns out to be a rape in progress. A complaint about a vehicle sitting on the railroad tracks turns out to be a armed suicidal individual.

21 - 40 of 168 Posts