Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK need some quick help on first AK purchase. A shop had 3 different variants.

1) Romanian Wasr 10, stamped $400
2) ATI with Milled Receiver $550
3) Polish with milled receiver - dont remember the brand $650

Basically all I am looking for is a reliable yet acurate 100-150yrds No muss, no fuss rifle. Possibly SHTF too. That's all the info I have, on the models, they were all very similiar aside form the receiver. The stock looked like crap on the Romoanian but that's only cosmetic and not a big deal. The romanian was also lighter which was nice. So, any ideas on which one to go with, if any?? Another shop also had a Century WASR for $400ish. I wish I had more info but they were very similiar aside form the milled vs stamped receiver

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Well if you can inspect the WASR in person it's your best bet for the $ since it's cheap. The two most common problems are a canted front sight (easy enough to detect) and an overly cut out mag well (take a mil spec AK mag and insert it, if it doesn't wobble you're good to go). For those reasons you can't trust WASRs sight unseen, but seen they're good to go.

Avoid the ATI

The Polish could be good to go, need more info, it's probably a folder right?

Stamped vs. milled doesn't matter as much as the importer/builder, especially at that price range.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The polish was not a folder it was a standard wooden stock. It also Had a chrome barrel I think. It was the heaviest of all 3 but looked the best as well.

PS How do I check the canted sight issue?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would choose the polish. A hand full of months ago I saw them for sale for $500, now they are $650-750, this tells me something. All I read are generally happy happy customers. I bought my first ak weapon, a draco, on Monday. My opinion is super noob but I wrestled over which one to buy, price and fit in the backpack won me over. I will however be saving for the polish rifle next unless I learn something that leads me elsewhere.

Polish is not chrome lined from what I read. Canted sights you will be able to see it bent.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
The polish was not a folder it was a standard wooden stock. It also Had a chrome barrel I think. It was the heaviest of all 3 but looked the best as well.

PS How do I check the canted sight issue?
I don't think those are chrome-lined. That is the big reason I passed on one. I know the majority of them aren't. You can get them for $589 off the net. I think they are really good Ak's though from what I hear.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bolt was chrome looking anyway, I don't really even know what chrome-lined means so my mistake, I just meant to point out that they were clearly different that the other cheaper models witht he chrome bolt.

The polish was the heaviest and that's what I didn't like about it. Also the milled receiver didnt feel as comofrtable while holding it as did the cheaper WASR.

Can I see with my naked eyes if the sights are canted?? I am certainly not an AK expert so I don't need top of the line. All I am looking for is a fn plinker that could also double as a self-defense tool that is reliable and fairly accurate. I am leaning towards the WASR, but again, don't have a a lot of experience with AKs.

·
Dying Breed
517 Posts
Well if you can inspect the WASR in person it's your best bet for the $ since it's cheap. The two most common problems are a canted front sight (easy enough to detect) and an overly cut out mag well (take a mil spec AK mag and insert it, if it doesn't wobble you're good to go). For those reasons you can't trust WASRs sight unseen, but seen they're good to go.

Avoid the ATI

The Polish could be good to go, need more info, it's probably a folder right?

Stamped vs. milled doesn't matter as much as the importer/builder, especially at that price range.
s
This! I have a few different ones and contrary to the internet commandos my WASR is my most accurate.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I have not heard anything bad about the polish ones. The shiny bolt is not chrome (I don't think) - it's just polished steel. I have not shot one, or even handled one for that matter.

It would be my choice if money was not an option/issue.

As for canted sights/gas tube: If you can't see the sights out of alignment with the rest of the gun, it's probably fine. easiest check is to turn the gun over and line them up with the bottom of the forearm/barrel. If they are even/straight, you'll be looking at the barrel straight down on the bottom, and not see any sight peeking left or right.

A little can't does not matter. Only of you can't adjust the front sight post sufficiently. Plus, you can fix cant with a hammer and some gumption.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I looked at Hickok45's AK video (he's a forum member here and a straight shooter no BS guy) and he shoots the WASR and the Arsenal side by side and comes to the conclusion they're pretty darn comparable.

I went with the Arsenal personally but if I saw a WASR in person and the sights were straight and the mag didn't rattle I'd save that $300-400.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
I looked at Hickok45's AK video (he's a forum member here and a straight shooter no BS guy) and he shoots the WASR and the Arsenal side by side and comes to the conclusion they're pretty darn comparable.

I went with the Arsenal personally but if I saw a WASR in person and the sights were straight and the mag didn't rattle I'd save that $300-400.
I would NEVER trade my Arsenal for a WASR. However, if price is an issue, the WASR will work just fine.

Well said.

·
Registered
789 Posts
My WASR has been fine. Only issue I had was the plastic tapco mags had to be "buffed" a little bit to fit cleanly in the mag well. Standard metal mags work fine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would NEVER trade my Arsenal for a WASR. However, if price is an issue, the WASR will work just fine.

Well said.

Yes I am familiar with the Legeng of Hickock45. I watch all his videos and he has actually replied to my messages. He is a sincerely nice guy and a real Class Act!! However, I am not familiar with that specific video and would love to watch it, if you have a link, would you mind posting it?? In the meantime, I wil sort through his vids to see if I can find it. Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How are Saiga AKs? Also kinda leaning towards the WASR but would prefer one in all black - do they make them??

·
Dying Breed
517 Posts
How are Saiga AKs? Also kinda leaning towards the WASR but would prefer one in all black - do they make them??
The converted Saigas are great AK's. As far as a all black WASR-- furniture is cheap for an AK and is easy to change. KVAR has some really good polymer furniture and is my first choice.- then you have Tapco which is decent for the price point stuff.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
For the price you're looking at for the Polish milled, you might find a used Arsenal SGL-21. For $100 more you can probably get a new one.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The thing I did not like about the milled AKs is that they were heavy. Can someone tell me how the Aresenal AKs are? Are they milled? Are they heavy? What makes them so popular, there seems to be a consensus that Arsenals are the best AKs - what makes them the best?? just trying to learn, thanks.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I'm sorry but what's a converted AK?

He means a Saiga rifle (sporterized AK to be legal to import) and converting it back to its AK form (while also following 922r - which mandates certain number of parts be US made). The basics of Saiga conversion: reinstall pistol grip, moving trigger back to original position, install a bullet guide (allows use of AK mags), ...

For more information go to saiga12.com forums. There is more info there on conversions then you would ever want to know.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
The thing I did not like about the milled AKs is that they were heavy. Can someone tell me how the Aresenal AKs are? Are they milled? Are they heavy? What makes them so popular, there seems to be a consensus that Arsenals are the best AKs - what makes them the best?? just trying to learn, thanks.
Some are milled, the most common ones (SLR-10x and SGL-xx) are stamped. They ARE the best AK's. Most AKs are parts kits thrown together by some monkey on a US made receiver, Arsenal SLR's are assembled in Bulgaria and just have the furniture and FCG changed out once imported to be legal. Arsenal SGL's are professionally converted Russian Saiga rifles (Saiga's are made in the same factory that makes AKs for the Russian military.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts