close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First Aid Kits for Kids...

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Gatman, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Gatman

Gatman

My friend is in an industrial design and marketing class. For this class they have to design a first aid kit for children 5-12 years old. It is for kids to keep on them when they are camping, on school trips, and when they are out with their friends.

(I think this is a tough subject for a teacher to assign someone. The other project was to design and market a new walker for the elderly and others who need "mobility assistance devices".) What exactly would you recommend in such a first aid kit. It has to be marketed for parents to give their kids so nothing to complicated or dangerous (morphine etc.)

I was recommending bandaids, Neosporin, childrens aspirin/tylenol, tweezers, a card with parents/guardians contact information along with medical conditions and drug allergies. A pouch to carry a waterbottle, directions for the use of the items. Disenfectant of some sort. Hand sanitizer, and hand towels. I think it is hard to judge what kids would need and know how to effectively use.

A pouch for personal medicine (inhaler, pills, etc.) but I cannot really think of much else. She is also looking for ways to carry it. I told her a fannypack and maybe some way to clip it on to the backpack would work best.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.

2. Tvov

Tvov

There are so many of these types of kits available right now. Especially for hiking/camping. You don't need a whole lot for a "first aid" kit. Clean bandages/bandaids of a few different sizes, something like an Ace bandage/wrap, some Neosporin type stuff, tweezers and small scissors, roll of medical tape.

As you said, some sort of fanny pack that can also be attached to a backpack.

Don't know what else to suggest!

3. Gatman

Gatman

It has to be specifically marketed to kids. I am under the impression that it is for a more urban enviorment. I am also stomped on how to do this.

4. Victory

Victory

I wouldn't trust kids with OTC painkillers. They're not bright enough to figure out that 6 doesn't work better than 2. Heck, i know people in college who haven't figured that out yet. 6 tylonol for a hangover. I predict liver failure by age 30.