First add-on to my gen3 G30?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SandP04, Feb 21, 2013.

1. SandP04

SandP04

I recently purchased a gen3 G30 w/ the expectation of ccw and home defense. I couldn't be happier with my purchase so far! :supergrin:.

I'm looking to upgrade/add-on to my g30. I'm stuck between upgrading the sights to night or fiber optic; but then I'm also wanting to get a good light/laser combo. note: I won't use light/laser as part of my ccw.

Where the conflict comes in: I feel that the majority of my ccw would be in fairly well lit areas, as I avoid dark/unlit, alleys ways haha. As for home defense, I feel the most likely time of use would be while I'm sleeping or late at night; thus affording the use of a light to illuminate a dark hallway and a laser to orient.

SO if it were YOU, which would you get first? Also, any products you recommend? Cost isn't a huge factor, but maximum bang for buck is desired. And for sights I'd like to stay with something I can rack on belt/clothing/boot/obstacle if needed.

Thanks for the feedback and input!

2. Green Teabagger

Green Teabagger

well with the ammo shortage i would say get a bayonet so your new glock wont be a paper weight..

Attached Files:

• 345.jpg
      345.jpg
      File size:
      558.7 KB
      Views:

3. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. Scrappy

Scrappy

I like the Ameriglo I dot , I dot pro sights.
    Save on the light and pay for the overpriced 45 ACP ammo that's out there if you can find it.

5. uncleted327

uncleted327

I'm a fan of Trijicon HD night sights, usually the first thing that goes on any of my glocks, I'm also partial to an extended slide release, grip plug and depending on the model Pearce grip extensions.

6. wdp

wdp

Trijicon night sights. The green dots last 10 years, orange not as long. Extended mag releases ok for home but not a fan for ccw. I do like the Peirce fingergrip extensions especially for the G30. Enjoy your G30, great all around platform.

7. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Hello SandP04, welcome to Glock Talk.

My suggestion is to add the following gear in the order given:

1. Night sights that work well in CQB under various lighting conditions and still function effectively for target practice at longer range. My recommendation is the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro night sights (with Trijicon tritium lamps). They also are well suited for one-hand clearance ops you mention among your requirements. Read my review here: https://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18998973&postcount=5

2. A good hand-held tac light and some training and/or reading on the proper techniques and tactics of tac light with pistol in home defense. There are a lot of good choices for this gear, but a Fenix PD32 T6 is one I have used and can recommend.

3. Pearce PG-30 grip extension on your 10-rnd mags for better control and speed in follow-up shots

4. Weapon-mounted tac light or light/laser combo (distant fourth choice). I like the very small Viridian CTL tac light, C5 laser, and C5L light+laser units for a small subcompact pistol with rail. There are other good light/laser vendors with products that will fit on the G30 for less money than the Viridian green lasers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Do you have a good holster yet? More magazines! Then night sights, warren tactical or trijicon.

9. GlockWheeler

GlockWheeler

The only additions I will put on a Glock are night sights, magazines, ammo and a set of Talon grips. Nothing else needed, IMO.

10. BMiracletx

BMiracletx

I would say night sights and a good light. I don't like lasers, but that is my opinion.

11. SandP04

SandP04

Thanks for all the replies

The ammo shortage is actually what made me get a 45 instead of a 9... 45 was the only hardball I could find, so I bought what I could carry and my stash is nearly where I'd like it to be. My local range has a good supply too, so I buy it there when I plink... I also got a box of Hornady 20gr xtp. Think I may pick up a box of Corbon dxp in 165gr...those suckers look mean!

I got a 13rd g21 glock mag but have yet to get a grip spacer for it... I'll probably pick up a few more 10/13rd. Still looking for the double drum from Skyfall :whistling::supergrin:
    [​IMG]

For the many supporters of night sights:

I saw a video from Hickok45 where I thought there was a pretty good point for fiber optic vs "pure" night sights... Any one see a down side to fiber optics aside from non-lighting in near pitch black conditions? :dunno:
    [ame="http://youtu.be/2oX3FMT9TBA?t=3m38s"]Glock Mods[/ame]

thanks for the detailed feedback. The specific dangers of a weapon mounted tac light never really occurred to me aside from sparing use of the beam to avoid detection. I'll be exploring the hand-held options.

For right now I ordered the glock sport holster BUT I do want to get a good IWB holster for 4 o'clock carry...no preference on the material, I just want something with minimal print and no sharp corners haha. I'm still doing my homework on those...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  12. TH237

TH237

If it were me...night sights, not fiber-optic, a couple of mags, and ammo. Now go and practice.

13. jhc37013

jhc37013

You don't like fiber optic night sights like TFO's?

14. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg

Trijicon or meprolight sights are tops. Good holster, good gunbelt, night sights, then as far as ccw, you're about done.

15. TH237

TH237

Really I don't, I don't like the size or the look. And to me the regular night sites look to be a little brighter at night. JMO

16. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

I'll join you in that opinion about the TFO size and look. The TFO rear sight is distracting in the extreme to me. I'm a shooter that likes a simple black rear sight with at most one tritium lamp with a black outline that tends to disappear in normal indoor light and daylight. I've tried and trained with five different night sight configs arriving at that conclusion.

I will not get into the great TRUGLO TFO War between TFO fanboys versus haters, but one should carefully research the history of problems with TFO sights before buying. Unless something changed recently, the TFO warranty is 90 days, the worst in the industry. I'll take a pass on anything FO for a combat pistol, but for competition shooting and hunting a FO front sight is an excellent choice.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  17. Bruce M

Bruce M

Night sights for me.

18. 1MEANGT

1MEANGT

I have the Talon rubber grips and TFO's on my G30. It is one of my favorite guns.

19. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Trijicon or Meprolight night sights, pick your flavor. Not only do they work for their intended purpose but in a dark room they can guide your hand to where your pistol is sitting in bedside safe or drawer.

Some spare mags. Some spare G21 mags.

If you want a light, don't dick around, Surefire weapon light.

Belt, holster, ammo.

Bedside safe if you don't have one.

Congrats on your G30.