First 45 GAP Reloads

Discussion in 'The Bull Dawgs Club' started by BobR1, Feb 9, 2018.

1. BobR1

BobR1

Fasteddie I like American Select pretty well. It has probably replaced Unique for my 38 Special loads for sure. I shoot ICORE Revolver Match's, so I load a lot of 38 Special.
    American Select could end up being my Range Load powder in the 45GAP pretty easily I would think.

Bob R

2. BobR1

BobR1

I have started going through my loads. I have probably fired 50% of my test loads so far. I have went back to a few powders such as American Select, Universal, and CFE Pistol and put together some lower velocity loads for testing. I have not fired my True Blue loads yet. It may also get a little more work up.
    So far no surprises. I have started on my second 500 round box of 200 grain lead bullets.
    I am firing the test loads through both my G37 and G38.
    I will keep you posted.

Bob R

3. BobR1

BobR1

I have fired all my original test loads.
    I have 13 powders that I would like to refire with .2 - .4 grains less powder. The goal is to get the loads down close to 800 fps on the low end with a 200 grain cast bullet from the G37.
    I have went through a 500 round box of Missouri Bullets so far. No problems were detected. All rounds tested went to slide lock. No pressure issues were noted. The only powder that could stand a heavier charge was 800X. I was getting some unburned powder with velocity's in the 714 - 750 range. 800X is not an optimum powder for the 45GAP, but it is useable.
    More testing to come when I get a little more time to load ammo.

Bob R

David_Ely likes this.
  4. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

That’s pretty close to the numbers I’m coming up with. For 200gr projectiles, Hodgdon Clays has around an 86% reduction factor between ACP and GAP. I imagine this factor increases as you go up in burn rate. I’ve got a 8# jug of Nitro100 NF. I emailed Western Powders and they have not tested Nitro 100 in the GAP. Extrapolating from their data for ACP, I think an appropriate charge range would be 3.2 to 3.8gr with plated 200gr projectiles in the GAP.

So for good measure I’ll probably back down to 3.0 and ladder up to 3.8 or 4.0. Will chrono and stop when I get good accuracy, hit 750 FPS, or blow up muh G37.. whichever comes first ;)