close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First 1911

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jokeruh, Jan 26, 2010.

1. jokeruh

jokeruh

Hey guys. I just picked up my very first 1911 today.

Very exciting day indeed.

I decided to get the Springfield Mil-Spec in Stainless.

The Stainless combined with the wood is beautiful.

I do, however, have a problem. I should have bought the loaded I guess. I absolutely need a beavertail. I have dry fired maybe about 20 times and I am already getting pinched. I also figured out quickly that I want the long trigger.

Anyway, are these easily replaceable? If not, should I use a local smith or send it back to Springfield? (BTW, I don't want ambi safety - just long trigger and beavertail....and I know that I will need the delta hammer too).

If I can replace myself, where can I find the replacement parts online? Also, how much will they cost?

If I have to send it in to Springfield, how much will it cost and how long will it take?

Thanks guys and this has been a great day!!! :cool:

Pic attached (I'm afraid BAC would not be very proud of it :wow: )

2. bac1023

bac1023

Why would I not be proud?

It looks great. Congrats!

As for the beavertail, keep in mind that you'll need a new hammer as well.

3. jokeruh

jokeruh

I meant you wouldn't be proud of the picture I took. I am certainly not a photographer. Your pics always look outstanding.

As far as replacing the safety, hammer, and trigger, what do you guys suggest?

4. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Nice choice on the stainless, I like it!

5. 1911ShooterDude

1911ShooterDude

That was my first 1911 upgrade. With the stock tail the wound gets deep. It's a simple thing to replace yourself. No gunsmith needed!

Attached Files:

6. Ruggles

Ruggles

Trigger will not be an issue, 98% a drop in part IMO. Pick one up from Brownells $20-$30, Ed Brown $20 or other maker etc. Detail strip and install new trigger. It might require a small mount of filing but most likely not. Of the triggers I have installed only 1 required any fitting (S&W 1911) and it was just 5-7 strokes with a file and it was good to go. If you do not know how to detail strip a 1911 I would recommend the Wilson Combat DVD on doing so, quick brief and too the point, that is how I learned.

The grip safety is a bit more involved and might best be left to a gunsmith IMO. I have never installed one so I can not speak from experience.

Good luck.

7. den888

den888

8. jokeruh

jokeruh

Thanks!!!

It was love at first sight. :hearts:

9. jokeruh

jokeruh

Thanks for the info.

This is my first experience with the 1911. But this is high on the list of my priorities.

Thanks for the encouragement :supergrin:

BTW, nice looking gun you have!!!

10. jokeruh

jokeruh

THanks for the tips and info. I thought the triggers would be a lot more....that is not bad at all. I think that I will give it a go

11. jokeruh

jokeruh

Thanks!!!

I feel like more of a man now. :supergrin:

Now I need a Garand!!

12. joecoastie

joecoastie

Nice 1911! Careful though, you'll find find yourself comparing everything else to it and saying "Nice, but not as good as my 1911." Here are two of the best sources for 1911 part in my opinion.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...Id=16006&categoryString=649***20766***8806***

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=6/Products/Handgun_Part

Do a little Googling and you should turn up a bunch of guides for <style></style>disassembly. You might also check Youtube for videos.

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are the upgrades you mentioned shouldn't be to hard. The main thing is to look for drop in parts.

13. jokeruh

jokeruh

Thanks for the ideas and the links....I'll check those out right now!!

14. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

shoot a few 100 rounds through it first

15. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

I must agree, that shiny stainless finish/wood grips combination is a winner.

Hop you enjoy your 1911!

16. bac1023

bac1023

I agree with this.

17. gunsnhoses

gunsnhoses

Nice looking pistol!

However, I don't understand this hammer bite people speak of. I've never experienced anything like it on my standard 1911 without beavertail. Does the webbing of your hand get between the tail and the hammer? How does this happen?

18. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Hi and congratulations!
    You don't need to change the beavertail safety, as there is a drop in part produced by Pachmayr http://www.pachmayr.com/rubber-grip-safeties.php that will work just well with your current configuration and prevent hammer bite as good as more expensive options.
    Save your money for the ammo.
    I have a similar setup in not so similar pistol (yours looks much nicer :supergrin:).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. chuckman

chuckman

If you are mechanically-inclined, you can get a DVD or a book (or just youtube it) to show you how to install these parts. While not particularly hard to do, they can be finicky. Be very careful with a file. It's harder to add metal once it's gone. Do you have a Dremel? If you do, throw it away. 1911s hate them. Because the tang radius is not "normal" compared to other 1911s, you need the 'right' beavertail. Smith & Alexander make such a beast, and it is not expensive. For all of the drop-in parts, the beavertail ain't one of them! If you want the hammer as well as trigger in one kit, Cylinder & Slide has a trigger kit that has most of what you want.

I really recommend the advice of shoot a few hundred rounds through it to get a better feel for the gun, then make your decisions.

That is a great gun. The Mil-Spec was my first 1911, and of the guns I have had/sold/traded, I still have it and will never get rid of it.

20. jokeruh

jokeruh

I really like how it looks....hopefully it will shoot as good as it looks.

Thanks!!