close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

First 1911 (decision help)

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by bikethief, Mar 11, 2006.

1. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

OK. I finally have enough extra cash to start my 1911 project. I want a full-size, single stack, 100% Pinoy made 1911 in .45cal. I'm not looking for a frame build because I'm an impatient little boy and I want something shootable out of the box. I have 20k to start with so I narrowed my choices down to an RIA or an Armscor. I know they come from the same factory but the RIA seems to have a bit more character. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

2. infinitecolt

infinitecolt

Since you got P20k, here's my recommendation in order of preference.

1. Norinco - superb steel, crude machine marks but will stand up to abuse. It will take on any aftermarket parts you can think of.

2. Armscor - good quality and superb performance for its price.

3. RIA - same as Armscor. what do you mean by character? they are all 1911s

4. Shooters - abundant parts from its manufacturer, quality is acceptable but still wanting.

Forgive my recommendation on the Norinco. You said you wanted something locally made but your budget fits the Norinco. Good luck.

3. isuzu

isuzu

Norinco would be my choice, assuming that they have identical prices with Armscor. The barrels of the Norinco are also superior to Armscor's or RIA (sorry, haven't tested Shooter's full size 1911 barrel yet). I'd get a stock 1911 and put aftermarket parts in it.

4. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Thanks! Norinco was actually one of my choices but all things being equal, I'd rather give my money to a Pinoy company. The RIA seems to have more character because of its finish.

5. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

You can always Filipinize a Norinco by having a talented Pinoy gunsmith go over it.:)

If you want to help a Pinoy company, then you can continually help them by buying local ammo and buying parts locally. In the end you would've spent more on the aftermarket parts and ammo than what you had spent in acquiring the gun.

6. MELBU

MELBU Ann2Tero

Norinco.

We compared side by side the quality of the metal of the Norinco with the Colt series 70, its almost the same (The hardness
    , texture and the sound it produces when you cock the gun). Amazing!
    This is my next project gun for competition (pang laspagan, kawawa
    kasi mga colt ko eh).

As for the Armscor, Ako'y purong Pinoy and a former owner of an Armscor pistol when i was still a newbie in practical shooting, pero
    hindi ako satisfied sa performance, after more than 500 rnds
    nag rattle agad yung slide ko. Specially the charles daly, I used to
    own a CD rin kasi after i sold my Armscor.

No offense to Armscor owners, this is just based on my experience
    with the gun or baka lemon lang yung mga natiempohan ko.

Melbu

7. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Lots of good posts!
    I do have to cite one particularly keen notion:

If you plan to race that gun, your ammo and customization expenditures will dwarf your initial unit purchase price, and that is indeed whre you can help the local economy. You call it a 'project', so you must have mods in mind down the road.

I'm happy with my Armscor Practical. Then again, I'm not a gamer,
    so it hasn't had to put up with as much mileage as others' guns.

8. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

The question is, does Armscor gives preferrence to Pinoy shooters? Compare the prices of their ammo sold locally and those that are sold in the US? Bakit mas mahal dito sa atin? Even the guns? And even the service. Kapag kano ang nag-inquire sa Armscor thru e-mail lagi silang may sagot. Kapag local pinoy, swerte na kung sagutin nila ang e-mail mo.

We tend to expect more from Armscor kasi nga pinoy din tulad natin. But if I cant expect a Filipino company to at least give a Filipino the same treatment it gives to americans, why would I give preferrence to that company's products over those that are imported. At least sa Norinco wala ka ine-expect na aftermarket service sa kanila. I'll just go for what I know is more durable and more value for my money. Kahit mas mahal ang product ng Armscor kung may maasahan tayong equal treatment from them, I'll go for their product over other brands.

9. RATRAT

RATRAT

Mga sir, me nakita ko today,Norinco np30 two tone hi cap .45..price nya sa trust trade 21.5 k ..me nakagamit na ba sa inyo nito!!any feedback sa unit na to!!
    :)

------------------------
    "Be afraid of no man,
    No matter what size.
    When trouble threatens, call on me,
    For I shall equalize”– Glock 17

10. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

RATRAT: I've done my research and I know Trustrade is bringing in the Norinco NP-44 which is also a hicap. Difference is that the np44 is a ParaOrd clone! Pogi na siya out of the box.

11. infinitecolt

infinitecolt

Finish is secondary. A lot of good gusnmiths can easily strip the old finish and have it replated in all the flavors you can think of. The base gun is still essential.

I fully agree with everybody's post especially theone posted by Darwin. It is in fact easier to order Armscor parts in the US than in the Philippines. Try getting a slide stop and sear for example. This is where Shooters Arms get all the points (still I find their parts softer than Armscor).

12. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Hmmmm... all your opinions here are starting to make me lean towards a Norinco. Sabagay, sale ngayon ang Norc sa Trustrade. Keep the inputs coming. I have to make my final decision before wednesday. Mabilis makaamoy ng extra cash si Kumander! ;f

13. 9MX

9MX Rei!

well, all i can say is mcoliver's armscor is still running after more than 15k rounds i think. and it still continues to place decently in ipsc matches. today's match is another proof of that. of course his pistola's internals is already powered by aftermarket parts and tuned by col. bayang, a highly regarded gunsmith:cool:

edited to add: the phrase crossed my mind in condensing a description of mco's pistol "Tuned by Col. Bayang..Kalikot by Mcoliver";f

14. isuzu

isuzu

You might also want to email or call Deenoh. He also sells Norincos and he's a BOG.

15. isuzu

isuzu

Try sending an email to Rhone de Leon of Shooters. His replies are prompt and service is excellent.

16. mtho

mtho

If i'm not mistaken that seems to be a clone of of the caspian hi cap.medyo mahirap maghanap ng magazine para dyan. intayin mo nalang maglabas ng np44 na 40 cal para ready na sa standard div.

bikethief,
    +1 ako sa norinco. or if you want something unique looking take a look at the israeli made GAL it has a squared trigger guard it carried by magnificent in cubao.

17. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Yep.
    Armscor is probably the most Filipino-dismissive firearm company
    in the world. It often sells Filipinos ammo and pistols made from culls,
    while the best stuff gets sent overseas. Good Armscor ammo costs
    less Stateside than the culls here at home.

The company owners CAN'T be unaware of this skewed sense of priorities.

Shoot, if SAM could just get their heat treatment right, for the
    sake of harder steel.... "bar stock" means nearly nothing if it
    hasn't been work-hardened or at least heat-treated for hardness.

18. Django

Django

Go for the Norc.

Bought mine last year and it shot a decent 2" at 15 meters out of the box.

Modifications made were the installation of a beavertail (to prevent hammer bite since I prefer the thumb over safety grip), King's sights (the original ones are much too small) and hard chroming. Plus I bought a Pearlite Ajax grip for it. Nothing else.

It now has more than 3000 rounds down its tube without any cleaning. No, I am not subjecting it to any torture test. I just love guns and shooting but hate the cleaning part. :)

19. RATRAT

RATRAT

20. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Hmmm, nakwento sa akin ni Col. Bayang na andun na raw yun last gunshow ah. Did anybody confirm or actually see the unit?