Firing pin spring question....?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Kona, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Kona

Kona

Disassembled the glock completly tonight for about the 4th time since I have had my G27. This is the first time I noticed when I take the firing spring apart that the spring has two different ends to it. The one end has TWO coils and the other has only one coil. Which end is up and which is down? Heres a pic of what I am talking about.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. Pistol Pedro

Pistol Pedro NRA Member

I believe the double coiled end goes toward the lug end of the firing pin.

3. Kona

Kona

which end is the lug end? The one with the spacer or the one with the cups?

4. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

The two coil end goes toward the front of the firing pin assembly to better hold the spring cups in place. Those are a pain and go flying easily so hold on to the spring tightly when replacing them. Don't ask how I know...

5. Kona

Kona

Thanks dude! Appreciated! My gun is sitting here in pieces until you made that post! Thanks!

6. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

When you put the spring back on make sure the space between the two cups doesn't line up with the tip of the spring. I always put the point of the spring pointed towards the middle of one of the cups.

7. JBP55

JBP55

Do as mtnglocker and itsgottabeapit both said.

8. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

Don't take apart the spring if you don't have to - i did it once for doing the famous 25 cent glock trigger job and i'll probably never do it again.

If you must take it apart and put it together (the hard part) do it inside a box or under a sheet. Those little plastic cups can go flying and they probably will, at least the first time you do it. If you lose a cup, they're not expensive to replace, but why lose one?!

9. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

there is a very handy trick to putting the firing pin assembly back together...

When you insert the firing pin into the spacer sleeve, pack the inside of the spacer sleeve with a rag or a paper towel. (the part that will face the rear of the gun) I pack it using my 3/32" punch.

Then the spacer sleeve won't budge while you try to put on the firing pin spring and spring cups. It really makes reassembly a piece of cake!

10. j-glock22

j-glock22

I've done it once, didn't lose anything, but it is good to do your homework before attempting.

11. SCC

SCC just me

I slide the slide cover plate in the spacer sleeve like this
    [​IMG]

12. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

Not a bad idea. The rag works good for me, but that's something else to use when I don't have one handy.

13. SCC

SCC just me

Or you can use the end of the slide the same hole that it came out of just turn it so the lug of the firing pin is to the side :wavey:

14. Glock 17L

Glock 17L Glock 24 & 26

That's how I was taught to do it..
    It's always worked for me..
    Gary

15. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Yeah.....use the firing pin assembly jig that Glock sends along in every Glock box!
    [​IMG]

16. b1012sharp

b1012sharp

Another way to prevent the cups from flying...assemble inside a gallon plastic bag. You can see what you're doing and nothing escapes!

17. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

In all reality, it doesnt matter which way you orient the spring. In my Glock 34, the two coil end was not at the plastic cup side. In my 26, it was.

When I called Glock, I was told that it didnt matter which way you install the spring. When you think about it, why would it matter? The spring will not come off no matter which way you install it.

18. itsgottabeapit

itsgottabeapit

I think the double sided coiled end goes towards the cup for more stability. With one coil wraped around them there is more of a chance of damage or of the spring coming off. IT just holds the cups better that way.

19. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Maybe, but if you picked 10 Glocks at random from the factory and disassembled them, odds are that they would not all have the springs assembled the same.

20. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

Glad to help, here is another vote for the two coil end going forward holding the spring cups, from Combat Tactical's website (see the bottom). In reality it may not matter which way it goes, if the spring cups are secure, but the Glock Armorers Manual also shows a schematic with the firing pin assembly apart and the two coil end is toward the spring cup side.

Home » Glock Parts » Glock OEM » Glock Firing Pin Spring

Glock Firing Pin Spring

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Click to enlarge
    Item Number: GLO-63 Sale Price: $3.00 [​IMG] Firing Pin Spring - fits all models (end with the most coils goes toward the spring cups). Part number 10 on the Glock Schematic.