Firing Pin question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by burningmidget9, Jan 28, 2010.

1. burningmidget9

burningmidget9

How do you check the firing pin? In the manual it says to "pull the firing pin lug all the way back to the rear of the slide"....."and don't let it slam back" Only when I try this, the firing pin just clicks/snaps once inside the breach face and stops. Doesnt even get close to the rear of the slide. Is this normal? I'm new to Glock so if it's a stupid question...sorry. Just want to make sure nothings effed up.

2. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

You just checked the Firing Pin Safety. Congrats, it works.

To check the firing pin itself, you need to strip the slide and remove the firing pin.

Why do you want to check it?

Okay, if you want to look at the point that strikes the primer, press the firing pin safety in, then let the firing pin extend past the breech face. But short of stripping the slide, that's all you can do.

3. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

Oh, one more way to check the firing pin.

Reassemble the gun. Go to a shooting range. Chamber a round of ammo, point the gun down range at a safe target, and pull the trigger. If it fires, the firing pin is fine.

(Don't mean to be facetious but that's actually the best test!)

4. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

In other words, don't pull the firing pin back and then let it go to slam into the firing pin safety.....it's not supposed to hit the firing pin safety and can damage it if you let the firing pin slam into it.

Just depress the firing pin safety and give the slide a little shake, if the firing pin moves freely while doing this, it's good.

5. burningmidget9

burningmidget9

Thanks guys. I know its kind of a dumb question. And yes, I plan on just gonig to the range and firing 100 off to check it. I was just wondering cuz the manual doesnt state it right the way I read it.

And I was just trying to be a good Glock owner and follow the manual and do the periodic firing pin check. But I think I'll just go shoot something. :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

For grins you can also shoot a pencil.

7. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

There's no dumb questions miget9.

And since is has already been answered pretty well, I'll just jump in to suggest that any new Glock owner should buy this book:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186

There's so much good stuff to learn in it that it's worth a lot more than it's price. You'll learn how to detail strip the entire gun (with good pictures and diagrams), how to install new parts, and lots of other stuff. You can read it very quickly and learn more than you would in months of asking questions on GT - with no risk of getting bad advice - as sometimes happens on GT.

8. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

9. vmann

vmann Controller

when you pulled the firing pin back and heard the "click", that was the striker pin falling back behind the spring loaded safety block...now if you were to pull the firing pin with much greater force, it would then go back even further in the channel, but do not let it go on its own force, that would be bad....