close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FireWire vs USB 2.0

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Lone Wolff, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

I'm going to be getting an external enclosure for using an IDE hard drive on 3 diff computers. All 3 of these have both USB 2.0, and IEEE1394 ports available. I'm trying to decide between the model with the USB 2.0 connection, or the Firewire connection. What would be any reasons for going with the USB 2.0 interface, when Firewire is faster?

The only thing that comes to me is that one of the computers has front USB ports, so it would be a little easier to connect not having to reach around to the back, but that seems pretty damn minor compared to the transfer rate. Obviously I'm leaning towards the Firewire, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

2. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Depends, do the computers have the new 800mbps firewire, or the older 400?

3. darin2

darin2

I'm going to get a few of the Lacie big disk 1TB external enclosurers. They have USB 2.0, Firewire 400 and Firewire 800. The price is around $1,100 each.

4. eljefe6

eljefe6

I do a lot with video. I started out using USB 2.0 drives. They don't work very well and aren't as fast as advertised. Get a firewire drive. I haven't had any problems with them.

5. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

I don't honestly know. I'm guessing older since the newest desktop is 15 months old. The Laptop is 2.5 years old. Which, now that I think about it, the laptop may only have USB 1.0.

6. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

But it has a Firewire port? I thought Firewire was relatively new and not that common...especially on notebooks.

7. JMag

JMag

Firewire is NOT processor dependent; USB in all flavors is. Faster Firewire beats USB 2.0 and is destined to get even faster as I hear it. Firewire is much more common now even on Windows notebooks.

8. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

In nearly all applications requiring sustained reads and writes, Firewire 400 will beat the pants off USB 2.0. For really brief read/writes, it's not a big deal - so if you'll be copying individual smaller files, you'll never notice the difference. If you'll be doing major backups, or files over 500mb, Firewire starts to shine, and when you get into 1000's of files, or many gigs at a time, Firewire 800 starts to look really good.