close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Firewall?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CalGlock, Jan 31, 2006.

1. CalGlock

CalGlock

Hi, I hava a Hp computer that I just reformated. It's a 2002 year model. I reformat it each year And run Norton 2002 that seems to work fine for me. ( I know you guys don't like norton, But this 2002 seems to work ok for me.) Well my question is can I also install a firewall that came with the pc. It's called Zero Knowledge firewall security tool. I usually uninstall it. The comp. came with mcfee or however it is spelled. I always uninstall that and was wondering if it would be a good idea to install the firewall with the norton. Or could it cause problems the two together on the same comp? I have learned enough about computers to be carefull what you run together as far as security. You Think it would be ok to run the two? I haven't really had any problems not running it. Is it just added security that would be good? And could I just run the firwall by itself? Is it better to have a fire wall too. And norton? Or was it just made to run with mcfee. Thanks, Dennis ( still learning trial and error and some input);Y

2. hogglock

hogglock

Rather than run the McAfee firewall (its a software firewall) You might consider downloading and running a free firewall by the name of Zone Alarm. It is specifically designed NOT to interfere with your other security software. However, it doesen't always work out that way...Norton is, as you are aware, famous for being nasty stuff.

The reason I would recommend ZA over McAfee is that the ZA is easy to download and set up, and more importantly, if you find it does conflict with norton, ZA is just as easy to UNinstall.

In this day and age, you really should be running some kind of firewall. If you're running windows XP, and keep it updated, you will find a basic firewall included with the OS. Just be sure and not run TWO software firewalls at the same time...in other words, for example, if you decide to use ZA, and you're running XP, be sure to turn off the XP firewall.

Besides ZA, there are 3 or 4 other good free software firewalls out there...google is your friend...

3. CalGlock

CalGlock

XP Home has a firewall in it already? Seems when I hooked up my home network it said their was a firewall?

4. colsankey

colsankey

Yes sir,

If you go to Start -> Settings -> Netowork connections you should have a 'Local Area Connection' for your high speed.

If the firewalls on a small lock will be in the icon. If not, right click the 'Local Area Connection' then click Proprties and then the "Advanced' tab. Theres a button for the filewall in there for disabling or enabling.

By default, Windows XP has the firewall disabled in earlier versions unfortunately, but it is easy enough to enable and does a pretty decent job.

With a linksys router and windows xp firewall I havnt had any problems in years at home.

5. CalGlock

CalGlock

Right now I have to use dail up . Will it still work? Thanks

I got lost. Start then what control panel? Remeber I'm still learning.

OK I got it thanks alot;f I see the little lock on there now. You able to run your pc with out any anti virus? or is that also needed? Or best to have both?

Yea my new laptop has been always connected I see. I don't have any anti virus on it and it has given me now problems. you running yours with just the firewall. Is that safe? Thanks again

6. CalGlock

CalGlock

ok, It says connection enable, firewalled then a # net adapter with the little lock on it. that one looks right to me. Now on the laptop it says disconnected, firwalled with the little lock on it even when i'm on line some wrong there or is that ok? Thanks, Dennis
    I can't seem to get into the advanced part on this on seems it works differently. What ya think?

7. colsankey

colsankey

There is an icon for each connection, so if you have dial-up you may have a local area box, but it will be "disconnected" because you dont have any lan cable in. You should also have a second icon in there.

Your dialing in on the lapop im guessing? So there should be a second little icon with a phone or some such on it. Each connection can be manually controlled regarding firewalls. So on the laptop click on what im guessing is the second dialup icon and right click there, and go to properties.

I always, always run anti virus at work in addition to the firewalls, but not at home. However Im a comp. tech and dont get alot of non-business email and rarely ever download stuff to my home PC.

If you google AVG you'll find they have a free download for a great anti-virus software program, or keep running your norton. Anti-virus is like guns, EVERYONE thinks one of them or another sucks and has there prefrence. I've had norton in the past and it worked ok at home.

As for the advanced.. Im on XP Pro right now and if I right click on the network icon, then go to properties at the bottom, it will pull up my network card. With three tabs, general, authentication and advanced. Advanced is where you can controll your firewall. (note theres a SECOND properties in the network properties, perhaps you went one click too far?)

A second way to enable your firewall on your laptop is start
    -> setting -> control panel -> security centre -> windows firewall.

This is for XP pro, but it should be the same.

8. CalGlock

CalGlock

Weird , I can get the lan one to work but when I click on properies on the dial up one nothing happens it brings me nowhere. Now what do I do? I have them both working on the desktop. and the high speed one working on the laptop but I can't get the dial up one to work.;g

The little lock is on it so is a black checkmark.It says diconnected, firwalled but the properties And there is only one on the bottom brings me nowhere just on that one I got the other two working on the destop and only the high speed one woring on the desktop.:( now what can I do or am I stuck?

9. CalGlock

CalGlock

You think as long as the lock is showing it may be working? weird when I click on properties nothing happens. when it says diconnected, firewalled does that mean the firewall is disconnected or the conection to the phone line is diconnected, even though it is connected? And what the little black checkmark mean?

Is there another way to get into the properties area? A second way to enable your firewall on your laptop is start
    -> setting -> control panel -> security centre -> windows firewall.

This is for XP pro, but it should be the same. I don't have that way to be able to get there that I can see> Thanks, Dennis;c

10. colsankey

colsankey

disconnected refers to the physical connection/wiring.

If you go the second route to the control panel => security center you'll know for sure if your firewalls on or not.

It's been a LONG time since I dealt with dial up, so I can't really answer for sure why its acting the way it is.. perhaps a pic to jog the memory?

11. CalGlock

CalGlock

I don't see a security center. I'm trying to figure a way to get a pic . I guess I can just take one with my camera if needed.

12. CalGlock

CalGlock

Is the security under administrative tools?

13. CalGlock

CalGlock

14. CalGlock

CalGlock

15. CalGlock

CalGlock

16. CalGlock

CalGlock

17. CalGlock

CalGlock

I think I better learn how to do the pics better too;f

18. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

AOHell doesn't use the Window's dialer, so that's why you don't get a Properties window when you try.

Cal, do you have XP Service Pack 2 installed? That's what puts the Security Center into the CP.

One thing: DON'T try to DL it over dialup! Order a CD from M$ and be sure to install it in Safe Mode. You cannot turn off Norton to a suitable degree, so the only fix is to not let it start.

Also, are you sure you are getting updates for Norton? I haven't seen a copy of 2002 in years that was anywhere near updated, though sometimes LiveUpdate seems to be working.

I nearly always find virii on machines with ANY install of Norton that has expired or any version older than 2004.

And last week I found 11 serious virii on a machine 'protected' with a fully-financed version of NAV2005...and Avast! quashed the problem for free. Imagine that.

I strongly suggest you visit TrendMicro's 'Housecall' online scanner page posthaste to see if yours is in similar straits.

Good luck!

19. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

depending on your setup, could be start -> control panel -> windows firewall

first you may have to choose "switch to classic view" on the left of the control panel screen.

20. CalGlock

CalGlock