close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Firefox install won't even start

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Toyman, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Toyman

Toyman

Ok, I've downloaded the latest install for both 1.5 and the 2.0rc3. Neither of these installs will even start. Other installs will, but firefox won't.

Anyone ever seen this? They don't even run long enough to show up in the process list. Tried rebooting also.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Is this a windows Machine?

IGF

3. Toyman

Toyman

Yes, Windows XP SP1. No I don't have all the latest updates, it's a development machine and I need it the way it is.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Strange, even w/o the latest Windows Updates, Firefox 1.5 should work. Have you tried Opera?

http://www.opera.com

IGF

5. Toyman

Toyman

The existing install of Firefox (.9x ?) works, but the INSTALLER for Firefox 1.5, 2.0rc3, and now 2.0 released won't even start. I've tried downloading them from both IE and Firefox.

Opera is already installed, but I do a lot of dragging and dropping of links to new windows, and I can't get Opera to do that.

6. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Did you check the Q&A section on the web site?

Do you have a firewall running on the PC?

Did you check the task manager to see if something is running concurrently that might block such an install?

Can you re-image the drive to the default configuration and then load Firefox fresh?

Did you try to uninstal the old Firefox first?

7. Toyman

Toyman

Did you check the Q&A section on the web site?

Yes.

Do you have a firewall running on the PC?

Yes. ZoneAlarm.

Did you check the task manager to see if something is running concurrently that might block such an install?

Yes. Occasionally the install exe will start in the process list, but I never get a UI, and the CPU usage never goes above 1 percent.

Can you re-image the drive to the default configuration and then load Firefox fresh?

You're joking right? I'd rather kill myself first.

Did you try to uninstal the old Firefox first?

No, if I do that I may not be able to re-install.

If a product can't even start it's own install without at least kicking an error there are some serious issues with it. I'm a developer myself, I know this stuff. It's retarded.

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Firefox 2.0 release should install replacing Firefox 1.5 without uninstalling.Reboot your PC and then switch off your anti virus program.Then try reinstalling Firefox.

9. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I find SeaMonkey casuses less trouble and more functional than Firefox.It will not replace the current Firefox.You will have both but you can import your Firefox profile while installing.

http://filehippo.com/download_seamonkey/

10. Toyman

Toyman

Fixed it!

Ok, my bad somewhat. Looks like the other day when my step son was on my computer (he knows better!) he picked up a TROJAN in addition to an IE toolbar.

I'm not exactly sure which on it was, but the file was rege2usb.dll, which was hooked into the logon services, which meant I had to go into the repair console to get rid of it. This is a super hidden file, but was found in the registry.

This also fixed some funky things I was having problems with in IE, namely that it would redirect some sizes to localhost, but only for IE, not firefox or opera.

11. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I am a former COMPAQ service coordinator and I make screw ups more than I would like to admit. I went to Zone Alarm Internet Protection Suite recently. Antiviri, Spyware detection & killer, and firewall. It works great and it is not as much of a resource hog as other products. Maybe a daily scan of the PC is needed and to build the kid another PC to keep your's safe? Could have been a major melt down! :shocked:

And maybe it is time to setup a spare hard drive or DVD with a Ghosted image of your main drive?

:thumbsup: :supergrin: ;)

12. Toyman

Toyman

He has his own, heck, there are even two other PC's upstairs that he can use and one right next to this one, but he is lazy and wanted to use mine (multi-monitors) instead of walking up there.

I told him the next time he even looks at my computer he'll be moving instantly. (He's moving to WA in december) To put it lightly, I went ballistic.