close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FireFox help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by E.Ritz, Jul 24, 2006.

1. E.Ritz

E.Ritz

I lost my laptop to a lightening strike. Now I am trying to move everything to a new one. Luckly the hard drive wasn't fried. Can someone please tell me where the bookmarks are saved in firefox? I would like to move them over, especially since I'm sure I will never be able to replicate all of them. Thanks,

Eric

2. pyblood

pyblood

C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\bi6687rk.default

There's a small file names "bookmarks." You may have to import that file from the bookmark manager in FF.

3. E.Ritz

E.Ritz

Thanks for the info. Now I have another problem. I had my computer password protected and it won't let me into the documents and settings for my username. Please tell me there is a way around this.

4. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Depends.

Was the original OS Win98, WinME, Win2k or WinXP?

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

there is.

how do you you have everything setup? do you have the old hard drive in the same system with a new hard drive setup as a slave?

if so, Knoppix doesn't care what your password is.

6. E.Ritz

E.Ritz

My old OS was XP pro, the new one is XP home. I have the hard drive in an enclosure so I can use it as removeable storage. The computer shop that I took it to originally copied some things to dvd for me. The tech said that he couldn't get into it in XP, he used vista to get past the password. I could take it back to him but I would rather be able to do it myself.

Thanks for the help

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The problem is, XP Pro supports file encryption for your protected files.

I am presuming that was in place on the folder that's inaccessable.

If so, there may be a crack program for it. Or, if they are just text files, Linux can sometimes read them depending on the encryption that was used.

You could try installing XP Pro on the machine the drive is slaved to; your usual password should open the file then.

I'd try using a LiveCD as a recovery disk first. A floppy can be used to transfer the bookmarks out selectively, if that's all you need.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Agreed.

The bookmarks file should be small enough, that you can just load the whole thing to a disk I would imagine. If for some reason you don't have access to a floppy for it, you can always used a web based email service(Yahoo, MSN etc.) and mail it to yourself, then dowload it on the new PC. Again, the file should be pretty small, so I wouldn't anticipate a problem.

I've found the PCLinuxOS and Knoppix Live CDs to be pretty good.

IGF

9. E.Ritz

E.Ritz

After a lot of messing around I decided to borrow another laptop from the same manuf. I swapped my original hard drive into it and it worked. I was able to remove my password, as well as copy some files to put on the new computer.

I did run into a couple of problems though.

#1 even with the password removed I still cannot get into my documents and setting (this isn't too big of a problem because I copied everything I think I needed while the drive was in the other computer) just an interesting aggrivation.

#2 I was able to copy the local e-mail folder from the old drive without a problem, unfortunately I can't find a place to copy it to on the new computer. When I go to documents and settings, the local e-mail folder just isn't there. I spent 30 minutes looking around for it today and just couldn't find it. I don't know if this is because I am now on a XP home machine (I don't see how that could make a difference) or if it is because this is a different version of Thunderbird.

At least I have my bookmarks moved.

Thanks for all the help.

Eric

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The folder in Thunderbird may be named differently.

Have you saved any mail with the new version? If not, the proggie hasn't even made a folder for it yet.

Try using the new mail app, then see if you can't transfer the contents of the old file into the new one.

BTW, this is why most of my clients leave a copy of their mail on the server...much easier to recover their data in the event of a crash.