close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Firefox and Thunderbird updated

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Harlequin, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

Firefox updated to 1.0PR or Preview Release. Looks cool until you read the part about none of the old extensions working until they are updated. I love Firefox, but this happened at 0.8 too and it's getting really annoying. I won't update until all of my extensions do.

Thunderbird updated to 0.8 and all of my extensions but one work. I see no funcional differences at all although the changes are listed on the site.

2. pwrtool45

pwrtool45 /etc/moron.conf

For windows, open c:\Documents and Settings\{user_name}\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*.default\Extensions\

Application Data is a hidden directory.

For Linux, substitute the first part (c:\Doc...\Mozilla\Firefox) with ~/.mozilla/firefox/

Now, basically just navigate through all the *.rdf files in Extensions directory and subdirs and, using any text editor, change all lines

with

Code:
    < em:maxVersion > 0.9.3+ < / em:maxVersion >

to

Code:
    < em:maxVersion > 0.10 < /em:maxVersion >

If you're one of the bojillion people that use adlbock, you'll notice a comment in Adblock's .rdf that complains about this very thing.

Note: I've only upgraded one windows machine to 1.0PR. My other installations have nightly builds that identify as .10/1.0PR, though none of them are more than a week older than the "official" 1.0PR. The "find as you type" seems to be greatly improved. That's the biggest differece I've noticed. The windows Plugin installations seem to have been streamlined greatly. Extension installations now have an added layer of security, namely that you HAVE to have the site in a whitelist. So on and so forth.

3. Harlequin

This type of editing is beyond most users, so I didn't mention it.

4. pwrtool45

*shrug* So is Firefox. This type of editing is doable by most Firefox users, who are at least a step up from IE users. I mean, the software is still in beta. You're talking about two different kinds of people.

Such is the price of being bleeding edge.

The big difference between then and now is that the update utility actually works; wait a couple days and use it. Extension developers need a day or two after the release to double check that more than a one line XML hack is needed. Otherwise, people would be complaining that their new extensions aren't stable. If that's not good enough, wait a couple days before installing 1.0PR at all.

5. Alpha752

Alpha752

Im using 1.0PR, and have not had any problems with extensions, but I dont do that much on the web, mostly GT, and email.

What is so much more advanced about Firefox. I am using it, and IE in winders, and Firefox and Konqueror in Mandrake 10. I dont really see how the browser is that diffrent. I like the features of Firefox(thats why I use it). Just wondering what you ment.

6. Harlequin

I've been working on this editing for nearly two hours and I still can't get the incompatible extensions I use to work. I've even tried ideas from several other sites. There must be something else that disables certain extensions.

7. pwrtool45

It's the difference between someone who only uses what's preloaded on the computer (i.e., IE) and someone who will install and configure software. You'd be surprised how many of the former there are.

8. pwrtool45

I've noticed that *some* of the RDFs will get stripped of comments after they're read by FF. Make sure your changes have stayed; if you made invalid changes it's possible that the browser reloaded default values. You'll also have to go into the extensions menu, right click and select "enable" after you change the version numbers. If the extensions don't have red text saying "incompatible with Firefox .10" or somesuch then you should be OK; enable the extension and you're finished.

9. Alpha752

Alpha752

ah, ok. ;) Im not one of THOSE people. :cool:

10. Weaps

Weaps Drives A Jeep

One thing they've changed with this release is an option in "preferences" to tell Firefox to load tabs in the foreground instead of the background. If you already have 0.8 or 0.9 with the feature set and go to 1.0PR you'll be fine, but if you install it new they will default to loading tabs in the background, which <b>drives me nuts</b>! I just built my wife a new computer, installed Firefox, and no way to change background tab loading. It make a little sense if you're on dialup, but we have broadband now. You have to add the following to prefs.js:

user_pref("browser.tabs.loadInBackground", false);

Then restart Firefox. All will be well in the world again.

11. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I just re-installed newer versions of the extensions. It took about 15 minutes. The only thing I don't like now is that Firefox doesn't work well with Gmail. It blocks all of the pop-ups that are required to use all of Gmail's features, even if you tell the browser to allow popups from Gmail.