FireFox+Acrobat=freeze

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by lomfs24, Apr 21, 2005.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

I have a problem. I guess it is not new it has always been this way but I was wondering if there is a fix. If I click on a link in FireFox that is a .pdf file it will open acrobat in the browser. But whenever I try to leave that page it will freeze. Doesn't matter if I try to close the window, click back, no matter what I do it will freeze. Everything else seems to work fine but FF won't work.... for a while. Sometimes it will hang for a long time and sometimes it will hang for longer than I want to wait and I have to do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to get the system box up and kill FF.

System setup:
    Windows XP SP2 fully updated.
    FireFox 1.0
    Acrobat Reader 6.0
    1Gb Ram
    Centrino Laptop.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I wonder if it would help to update Firefox and/or Acrobat Reader.Firefox should be installed before Acrobat reader and Acrobat reader should be installed after Firefox.I have an older version of Acrobat reader(5.0).I have the latest Firefox,version 1.03 plus an additional update.I think most of the updates were security but there was some improvement from 1.0 to 1.1.

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

I guess I'll uninstall everything and reinstall new stuff tonight and see if that helps. Can I just reinstall FF without uninstalling it so I don't lose all my bookmarks

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Yes I think you can.I updated mine by installing the newer Firefox over the old one without uninstalling it.It saved all my settings and bookmarks.Acrobat should be installed after Firefox.People report that works best.

5. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

the best fix is not to use the pdf plugin with firefox. it sucks. you have to have acrobat installed anyway, so just change the behavoir in firefox to force pdf to open with the default program, acrobat, rather than using the plugin. it will be much faster, smoother, and firefox will never hang.