close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Firefox 2.0 Upgrade.......GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TenMillimeter, Dec 9, 2006.

1. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Anyone else have a problem with losing all of your bookmarks when upgrading from 1.5 to 2.0? Any way they were somehow saved and I can get them back? It's real freaking nice how it saved my cookies and theme, but lost all of the bookmarks. Even better yet is how I now can't even bookmark a page, or add folders in my bookmarks.

Any way to uninstall this POS 2.0 version? This smacks of the Microsoft I try so hard to avoid.

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I must say I had 0 problems. All of my bookmarks were nicely imported. Even the themes and extras were automatically upgraded.

Don't you have your old bookmarks file among your backups? You could just drop it into the directory C:\Documents and Settings\your_username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\your_profile and get it over with.

3. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Well, I have to say I'm very displeased with 2.0. It's full of bugs; I can't close tabs and I can't create new bookmarks. My old bookmark file is still in the folder, but 2.0 won't display the bookmarks.

Any ideas?

4. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Problem solved. I uninstalled then reinstalled, and everything works fine now. Go figure.

5. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I upgraded 2 months ago and just lost all my bookmarks etc. I uninstalled and reinstalled but got nothing back (except old IE bookmarks).
    Any ideas?

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Whenever you upgrade anything, always always always always back up whatever is critical to what your updating. In this case, bookmarks to Firefox. If you're upgrading your OS, backup all critical/important files.

You're probably hosed, but thats just a guess. I've not had the problem with 2.0 that you speak of under Linux, nor have I read about it anywhere(with Windows or Linux).

File/Organize Bookmarks... Manage Bookmarks/Export to file will backup your bookmarks to a file that can be loaded in to almost any browser.

Try doing a file search for 'bookmarks.html' this is the file Firefox uses to store bookmarks. If you find it, simply follow the instructions above for backing them up, but instead, choose "import", and navigate to the bookmarks.html file.

Good luck... I personally would be sick if this happened to me.

IGF

7. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I saved them. I always update and save because I putz around and mess things up. My bookmarks were in my documents and I sent a copy to my desktop. I just haven't figured out yet how to get them back into FF.

8. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

See my earlier post.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Just use the Import function like I detailed above.

IGF