close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Firefly?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M&P15T, Jan 4, 2013.

1. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Why did they end it? It's great entertainment.

2. Ragnar

Ragnar

Because Fox execs are stupid. Its really that simple.

3. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

I was just about to say: Goram huh-choo shang tza-jiao duh tzang-huo Fox execs!

4. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

I suspect it had something to do with ratings. That being said, I enjoyed the series while it lasted.

5. Razor

Razor Millennium Member

Yep, the ratings sucked.

'Course, the way FOX handled the show contributed greatly to why the ratings sucked.
    They put it in the Friday night death slot.
    They aired the episodes out of order.
    It was constantly preempted by baseball gamess.

And when I say the eps were out of order...they aired the Pilot (y'know the episode thats sets up the entire universe) episode LAST.

6. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Did you just now start watching the series? It has been off the air for a really long time. Which, is unfortunate, because the genre bending it did was pretty unique and interesting.

7. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

It never stood a chance. Fox bungled it from the start. At least the captain is doing well on Castle.

8. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

It came down to a personal beef between the director and Fox. They killed it intentionally.

9. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

I caught all the episodes on Netflix a year and a half ago while recovering from neck surgery. Enjoyed it very much. The dialogue was great.

10. sugarcreek

sugarcreek familyman

Did you watch the MOVIE, Serenity?

11. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Ab-solutely ! :thumbsup:

:rofl:

12. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

It was expensive and they screwed up the airing resulting in loss of viewers.

13. Altaris

Altaris

Yeah, the out of order stuff was something I don't understand at all.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Yes, on Netflix.

I actually watched Serenity first, and then started watching FireFly.

15. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Because Fox has a habit of killing off good shows and bungling the scheduling of them. Grrr.

You should also check out Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Another Fox show that got canned but was good.

Unfortunately for that one (Terminator) Season 1 was interrupted by the screen writers strike so it was abbreviated. Then Fox killed it after season 2.

Plus it has Summer Glau in it also. Yum.

Rock on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNu7pi9glR4"]TSCC: Cameron - The Best Terminator "Don't Believe Her" - YouTube[/ame]

16. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Yeah, that death slot that The X-Files did so poorly in for so long. ;) And Dukes of Hazzard and Dallas for years before that.

I can give you a few reasons why it failed - the show wasn't as strong as you all make it out to be. Even episode 1, I felt like I came in half-way through the series. You can't do that. You are 15 minutes in, thinking, "Wait - who are these people? Why is that guy here? Who is that? Is she the pilot or what? Do they ever do anything but run around and fight? How can they keep this thing afloat and do stupid stuff like this?" Question after question. Good series' take 2-3 episodes to flesh out the characters.

That carried throughout the episodes. Someone said they showed them out of order. A good TV show allows you to get sucked in, even though you didn't see the first episode. This isn't Lost for cyrin out loud! When every new viewer says, "Who is the chippy with the large interpupilary distance and what's her problem?" you've got an issue.

Second, it felt like a syndicated show, not a network show. Say what you will, but there is a different audience for a network show and Xena Warrior Princess. My guess is it has to be the camera work. You just don't see that stuff today. (As good as I always thought ST:TNG was - it was always filled with an overly-bright, shot-from-below syndicated feel.) Syndicated shows of today, like Burn Notice, look just like network shows. So your average viewer back then said, "Hmm. Fox isn't broadcasting tonight. FLIP." By 2002, that stuff shouldn't have happened.

Three - weak cast. Sorry. Just true. Not top actors by any stretch. Fillion is the only one currently working on anything worth anything. He WAS the best talent on that show. I'm surprised it took him this long to jump into something mildly successful. The rest are also-rans who keep doing b-side sci-fi shows.

I will admit: I HATE watching TV on Netflix. Even shows I like, I find myself bored. But I DID watch Serenity and found it to be very good. It was laid out like a movie - 30 min of character development, 30-40 min of problems, 10 min of crescendo and 10 min to wrap up. Perfect. Even someone who had never seen the show could watch it. And after getting all the background on Serenity, I STILL can't stomach more than 10 minutes of ANY Firefly episode.

17. Dennis in MA

TSCC had potential, but again, it was a show that REQUIRED you to watch every week. And they sped through plotlines so quickly they ran out of decent ones within a half-season. Once they started bringing back virtually EVERYONE from the future (aside - what the flip happened to Shirley Manson? Wow!) it lost the viewership of anyone holding onto a decent series.

18. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Season 1 got screwed up when the writers went on strike, so there were only half the episodes. When they came back for season 2 the first third was fun, but not completely coherent with direction. I felt it really started to hit its stride in the second 2/3 of season 2 when it started to get dark in tone. I enjoyed it

I agree you needed to watch every week especially in the last 2/3rds of season 2.

Still, I liked it. Sucker for all things Sci-Fi, etc. :supergrin:

19. Dennis in MA

I liked it, too. Would have been better plastered over a cable network as a syndicated show, tho. At least if you missed an episode, you could have caught up.

20. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Yeah that is true.

I think most shows are better over a cable format so you can catch up if you need to.