close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Firefighters shot while battling New York blaze

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Locking murderers up for life would be a good start to ensuring safety for the rest of us.

2. Little Joe

Little Joe

Plea bargained down to manslaughter.

3. Restless28

Restless28

It appears that this murdering coward set fire to a car to lure the Fire Department into a killing zone. It must have seemed like an eternity for the guys who were pinned down before the police arrived.

I just don't see how a FD can prepare for a situation like this. It almost sounds like something a terrorist would come up with.

4. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Any word as to the motive? And why lure FD as opposed to PD? Or did the killer simply screw up as to what to use as lure?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  5. Restless28

Restless28

WHEC TV in Rochester says that no motive has been found, but that the murdering coward's sister is unaccounted for. He was shooting from a berm. It was a trap.

The names have been released too. Lt. Mike Chiapperini who was killed was also a Lt. in the PD. He was named Firefighter of the Year 2 weeks ago.

Firefighter Tomasz Kaczowka was also killed. He was also a 911 Dispatcher and had joined the FD a little over a year ago.

6. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

the system and laws failed those men and their families, again.

7. onebigelf

onebigelf

This will be made to be about the gun, not about the fact that the system released on parole after serving only 17 years a man who beat his 92 year old grandmother to death with a hammer.

The issue is everything BUT the gun or guns that were used, but that is what we'll hear about and that is what they'll want to do something about.

These stories aren't unique, but there is a BIG push in the media right now to publicize nationally ALL stories of gun violence to drum up support for new gun laws.

It's no longer cheap, but buy it and stack it. We're going to need it.

John

8. Caver 60

Caver 60

I thought a felon could not purchase a gun? Didn't that law work? Sarcasm off.

Tragic situation. Thoughts and prayers for the victims families.

9. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I bet it's the first time it ever happened.:tempted:

10. jrpro130

jrpro130

This is an extremely unfortunate situation.

I doubt they will arm firefighters in my lifetime. The closest we got is Swat medic but in reality on a fire scene there would be no way to carry with bunker gear on. Not to mention I wonder the melting point of polymer? Our live burns get to roughly 700*F

I'm on duty tonight and this was a topic of conversation. Some of the neighborhood I serve is less than desirable so to speak. It's always a worry in the back of our head even on medical calls. Truly sad RIP my brothers.

Should be wrenching instead of using TapaTalk

11. Patchman

Patchman Florist

When they say "armed" I assume guns on the rigs. In addition to guns melting, the ammo will cook off also.

12. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

The media splashes stories all over the air waves and the crazies come out at the holidays.

13. Pwhfirefighter

Pwhfirefighter

Rest in peace, my brothers. Prayers for all the families of the deceased, wounded, and the all rest of the first responders.

And prayers for all the first responders (FIRE, LEO, EMS, and anyone else) who I know will continue to answer the call throughout this nation.

14. KY Moose

KY Moose

RTF - Remember the Fallen

15. fireguy129

fireguy129

If ammo on my belt, next to my skin an under my bunkers is cooking off, I've got other things to contend with.....

16. jrpro130

jrpro130

Absolutely,

But guns on the rigs come with responsibility, we aren't at the truck at all times. Any medical call the truck is unattended, and also if you are 3rd due to a residential/commercial fire, everyone goes to work. If you are 1st/2nd due the drive stays with the truck but let me tell you his least concern is anything inside the truck. His job is getting water to us.

I could see if it was maybe locked up, but again, whats the point. I'd love to be able to open carry at the FD, but what would I do when bunker gear has to go on? On medical calls it's almost becoming necessary to wear bullet proof vests. Just last year shots were fired at a medical call in a neighboring city...scary.

17. jrpro130

jrpro130

My bunker gear fits just right...and there is not a single way on earth i could open carry and get my bunkers on correctly, not to mention my SCBA strap goes right at my waist.

I could IWB carry but with a tucked in shirt that would be all too obvious, we wear class C hanes t-shirt with pocket.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, I just see us if anything being open carry and I prefer drop thigh rig...

18. Pwhfirefighter

Pwhfirefighter

Our city LEOs usually do try to respond to calls with us, but those guys are usually pretty busy, stretched thin, and obviously they can't be everywhere at once. But they do a great job in getting there with us when they can.

As far as being armed, as a CCW holder, I would be lying if I said that I have not considered violating city policy and arming up. Legally I can't carry on 1)Fed property (a given), 2)LEO stations, 3)jails/prisons, 4)courtrooms with court in session, and 5)places of nuisances. Anywhere else I can legally carry.

BTW, no one has ever been able to show me in writing about that city policy......just saying. But I still follow it

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  19. LLL

LLL

on regular news i think i heard assualt rifle 3 times, lol :wow:

20. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

No, they'll blame those us outside NY because we're not like them. Bloomberg has already run that play by sending his goons to other states to make gun purchases. Remember?

Of course the real blame lies with a failed legal system that allowed a known killer out of his cage and onto the street.

Whether you are religious or not, there is a passage in the Bible that says evil men will wax worse and worse. Evil should not have been out on parole.

Seems to be more of it lurking out there these days.