Glock Talk banner

Firefighter confronts cameraman

2612 Views 21 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  chiefjack
Before I watched the video, I thought how could a first responder in this day and age NOT know to leave camera people alone.... but then, watch how the camera guy acts! The FF's actions may not have been correct, but I think they were totally understandable:

http://www.statter911.com/2015/07/1...tion-of-videography-by-san-diego-firefighter/
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Way too busy
5,305 Posts
Just totally not worth it. Put the patient in the medic, move on with life.

I've been recorded, it's sickening how selfish people are, but you just accept that people are weak-minded and rise above.

The vast majority of the people looking at that video won't care for the privacy of the patient, the compassion that the firefighter is trying to show for his patient, or the distraction that the camera man is creating on his fellow man who is trying to help another fellow man. They will see an ******* fireman and another righteous camera vigilante being assaulted by "the man".

· Registered
45,276 Posts
Same old crap.

My rights supersede yours, or the patient's privacy rights.

People think that because they record an event, they are the only ones in the right. someday it will be viewed as invasion of privacy.

Reactions: refugeepj

· Registered
1,063 Posts
There always has to be an ***hole in the crowd. Somewhere in time he will get what he deserves.
If anyone watches Chicago Fire they showed an episode with a photographer sticking his camera where it didn’t belong. In the end he showed up at one of their accident scenes and stuck his camera where it didn’t belong. After a confrontation with the Capt. the dumas backed into traffic and got hit by a car....Yessssss! ;)
Those that deserve get!

· Registered
1,869 Posts

· Registered
2,453 Posts

· Registered
15,936 Posts
Hey. Stop getting bent out of shape. Today, everyone is a photojournalist or a reporter with or without credentials, but with a cell phone. They aren't trained in human relations/public relations/the duties of a fireman or policeman or aware of time limits to get to a fire or get a person to the hospital. Somehow, legitimate photojournalists and reporters manage to get through a career of covering unfortunate situations without confrontation with first responders.

Now for the contrary. Most of the first responders who get into confrontations with legitimate photojournalists or reporters are rookies or power hungry because simply wearing a uniform allows them to think they can act like gods.

If a boss of either the photojournalist or first responder ever bothered to see the video, he would review the behavior. Without sticking it to either, he could counsel how to avoid *******s in the fullfillment of the job.

For you journalists or first responders, here is an example. You are tailgated when driving your car. You have four options: 1. get out and fight; 2. brake check; 3. ignore; 4. pull over. A retired fireman in his 80s told me that when he was young he would stop and have fist fights. Now, he ignores.

· Registered
2,042 Posts
The lady on the gurney obviously didn’t want to be filmed. The peckerhead should have shown some respect. Most of the camera crews in my area stay out of the way during a fire. Hoses have been known to slip and water goes everywhere.

· Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking
2,787 Posts
Blanket party candidate. Photojournalist my arse.

· Millenium #3936
6,681 Posts
I cant speak to what the laws are in that particular jurisdiction but personally, I would give a FF a very wide latitude to control the [area] in which he/she is conducting official business. If the citizen was told to back off and he didn't, I am not upset that the FF helped the guy move back. Certainly there are limits to what is considered reasonable but I have no personal or moral issue with what the FF did on his scene. He pushed him... big deal. Having a camera does not permit a person to simply do absolutely anything they want to do in public. At least not in every circumstance and especially not when public safety operations are involved. That's just my personal compass talking.. and again, I am not speaking to any law or laws.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.