close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fired my new 17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Handy with the Steel, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Handy with the Steel

Handy with the Steel

Just got to shoot my 17 3rd gen this last sunday. Put about 150 rounds through it. First glock ive shot. Last pistol i owned before this was the sigma so you can imagine how happy i am with the purchase of this glock.

My only concern is that i had one failure to eject. I bought the glock used but because of the condition it is in, im pretty sure there has been less than 1000 rounds through it. Is a failure to eject common on a glock this new?

2. ap430

ap430

Depends on a few things. Most of the pros here will want to know what sort of ammo were you using? and was there a chance your grip was less then ideal?

3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

is a 3rd Gen G17. It started out as a 1988 2nd Gen G17, but I had it converted to 3rd Gen two years ago to get the rails. It is a very reliable firearm.

4. bac1023

bac1023

5. Gnflorida

Gnflorida

Depends a little what your shooting, id shoot it more, if it keeps happening try different ammo, if it does maybe your ejector is bad.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. Frank V

Frank V

Welcome to Glock Talk.
    Frank

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

Enjoy your (almost) new G17. I'd shoot it a bit more before I worried about a single issue.

8. Handy with the Steel

Handy with the Steel

Thanks guys, i was using the ol Winchester fmj rounds, i dont think mu grip was an issue, but enlighten me on how that might effect extraction.

9. larson1122

larson1122

10. Handy with the Steel

Handy with the Steel

Just got back from the range and put about another 150 rounds through my 17. No misfires or problems of any kind. Im really starting to like this pistol.

11. elde

elde Lifetime Member

OK, ejection and extraction are two different things. A failure to eject means the empty case was extracted from the barrel but not ejected from the pistol. If that's your issue then the grip effects it as follows:

The enertia of the slide moving fully rearward after firing ejects the case. Force must be applied in the opposite direction that the slide is moving in order for it to do its job relative to ejection. Without a significant opposing force (a stable, secure grip) in the opposite direction that the slide is moving the slide cannot move fully rearward to eject the case and complete the cycle. There are better ways to state this but this is the best I can do.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  12. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Congrats, and welcome to GT!

Try using some 124 gr. ammo, like the Winchester NATO rounds, or some Speer Lawman 124 or 147 gr. practice ammo.

13. Handy with the Steel

Handy with the Steel

Thanks for breaking it down for me elde, and also for explaining the deference between extraction and ejection. It was a failure to eject as the casing was extracted from the barell.

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Ok, that's good news. Might just need the recoil spring broken in more. Then the slide will go back just a tad bit faster.

With my G4 17, on the second mag, I had a stovepipe. Never any other stopages. But early on also had occassional brass to the face. As it got broken in, no more brass to the face:)