Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back to work after 18 months of loafing. 18 months of constant concealed carrying with a fair amount of OC.
The job I selected is on the local airbase (construction electrician) and no weapons permitted. As I wean myself off the habit, I wonder what are the penalties/punishment one would face if caught, I'm thinking this is beyond a NPE and you lose your job as a result. Pretty sure it's felony. Damned if I will chance that, anyone familiar with this issue?

·
Anti-Federalist
25,100 Posts
Went back to work after 18 months of loafing. 18 months of constant concealed carrying with a fair amount of OC.
The job I selected is on the local airbase (construction electrician) and no weapons permitted. As I wean myself off the habit, I wonder what are the penalties/punishment one would face if caught, I'm thinking this is beyond a NPE and you lose your job as a result. Pretty sure it's felony. Damned if I will chance that, anyone familiar with this issue?

Title 18 of the United States Code, Section 930(a) provides that “whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility…or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.” This is a misdemeanor, or non-felony, offense as defined by Section 3559 of the federal criminal code. However, the fine imposed upon conviction on this offense can be up to $100,000 pursuant to Section 3571.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well I hope you enjoyed your vacation! You might get another chance to lay around more if you get caught with your hand gun on base. Is it really worth finding out? I don’t think you would spend more than a year in jail, it would probably just be a fine, but it’s been over 20 years since I’ve seen any punishment for it when I was in service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: CBennett

·
NRA Life Member
68,940 Posts
Pretty sure you'd get fired. Maybe not for accidentally having it in your car because you forgot, but certainly for carrying concealed.

A gun is just a tool. Nice to have, but your brain is what keeps you safe.

·
NRA Life Member
5,984 Posts
It's not cut and dried for sure. There are federal installations, and there are state managed facilities that host federal missions (typically Guard). Where I work it is clearly posted that personal weapons are not authorized, because it is not uncommon for someone to ignorantly drive on base and forget they have a weapon in their trunk that gets discovered on a random vehicle search. I have no direct knowledge of the consequence of bringing a personal weapon into a prohibited facility, but I know it's happened when a mass email goes out reminding everyone of the prohibition.

That said, installation commanders have huge leeway in what they will or will not authorize. By law or as directed by lawful order, typically it will only be base defenders and law enforcement, but where I'm at during hunting season they permit civilians to drive on base with long guns in order to hunt on areas of the reservation, during authorized timeframes.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
I thought a military airbase commander was given the option to decide as to whom can be armed there. Some allow it and others don’t was my understanding.

I know of military bases that have shooting ranges open to non military people .

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I thought a military airbase commander was given the option to decide as to whom can be armed there. Some allow it and others don’t was my understanding.

I know of military bases that have shooting ranges open to non military people .
There is a process to check in when you arrive on the installation to go to the gun club / shooting range. Very different than carrying a firearm for defense.

·
Anti-Federalist
25,100 Posts

You can just about count on the fact that there will be little to no people carrying concealed or otherwise on base beyond CID/MP and those actively guarding a post.

As a single soldier all of my weapons had to be locked in the Arms Room. I could sign them out for cleaning or going to the range and that was it. Married folks had a little more leeway depending on the installation and who was in charge at the time.

From the Army Command Policy AR600-20

"The senior commander will ensure that policy and procedures are in place to enforce the provisions of this chapter if privately owned firearms or ammunition are permitted in government quarters. The senior commander will also ensure that policy and procedures are in place in MWR activities and other government sponsored or sanctioned activities on their installation that engage in the transfer or sale of firearms or ammunition."

Reactions: mj9mm

·
Registered
1,719 Posts

Pretty sure that you are correct about the base commander having that authority. I have heard, only second hand, that some bases allow weapons in vehicles. Those bases that have ranges and hunting on them, have specific guidelines for doing so. And I can say with almost certainty that a contractor coming onto base will not be allowed to do so. Our SF searches every contractor vehicle that comes onto base.

I can tell you that in MS, members of the Guard are allowed to have personal weapons locked in personal vehicles on base, per the order of the TAG. I usually have more than one. I know that there are other states that allow it also. But that is only on Guard installations. No CCW on your person once you step out of your vehicle. Active duty bases are different and I don't take the chance, if I am going to any active duty base, I remove my weapons and ammo.

·
Registered
12,998 Posts
I’ve been visiting my kids at Military Bases for 20 years. Nothing has changed in that time. No Firearms Allowed. I asked and talked about it a few times. Pretty much that thought is, most on base are young guys with lots of testosterone. There are all kinds of issues in the housing sections on base, people do stupid things but at least they are less likely to shoot each other. I’m not saying they are hotheads but stuff happens. Military life on base is very controlled, Firearms are only one area of control over the population.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
MP's generally keep an eye on me. So no need for me to carry.

I'm not supposed to drive on the taxiways anymore.
Yeah, they tend to get upset about taxiway/runway incursions. :LOL:

Some bases are different though. Here at Andersen in Guam, you can drive all over the taxiways, just gotta stay off the runways.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
Pretty sure that you are correct about the base commander having that authority. I have heard, only second hand, that some bases allow it. Those bases that have ranges and hunting on them, have specific guidelines for doing so. And I can say with almost certainty that a contractor coming onto base will not be allowed to do so. Our SF searches every contractor vehicle that comes onto base.

I can tell you that in MS, members of the Guard are allowed to have personal weapons locked in personal vehicles on base, per the order of the TAG. I usually have more than one. I know that there are other states that allow it also. But that is only on Guard installations. No CCW on your person once you step out of your vehicle. Active duty bases are different and I don't take the chance, if I am going to any active duty base, I remove my weapons and ammo.
I am not that well versed in carrying on Military bases or federal lands/parks/buildings with certain exceptions because our department would have use of the facilities. A National park shares the place with the military and coast guard here so it falls under the national park system on most of the place eventhough the miltary and coast guard continue house their personnel there.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I am not that well versed in carrying on Military bases or federal lands/parks/buildings with certain exceptions because our department would have use of the facilities. A National park shares the place with the military and coast guard here so it falls under the national park system on most of the place eventhough the miltary and coast guard continue house their personnel there.
National park property, makes sense to me if it is National park system rules. Hadn't really thought of that

·
Registered
580 Posts
As a 24+ year retired vet, I have found that personal firearms are not authorized. I have to leave my weapons (mine & wifes) at home and drive unarmed from home the 2 hours TO said military installation and 2 hours FROM back home. Can't understand completely the reason, but have learned to comply.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Being retired military I still spend a bit of time when traveling visiting and staying on military installations around the US. Firearm possession on an installation varies greatly. It depends on the commander's directions. Here are a few examples from these particularly installations websites. These could have changed with new commanders or if the current commander changed policy. Call first.

Key West Naval Air Station, FL
Personal firearms must be declared, then turned in at the armory to be stored. The maximum storage period is 2 weeks. Registration paperwork is required and a background check will be performed.

Pensacola Naval Air Station, FL
Not allowed on base.

Mayport Naval Station, FL
Firearms not allowed on base.

MacDill Air Force Base, FL
The possession of firearms, including BB and pellet weapons, is strictly controlled by the MacDill Security Forces Squadron. Eligible visitors or guests of such visitors staying in the campgrounds who have firearms in their possession must contact the 6th Security Forces Law Enforcement Desk, (813) 828-3322, for guidance and control of such firearms. Firearm registration forms are available at the FamCamp office. A copy of the completed registration form will be placed in the visitors registration file maintained by the FamCamp office staff, along with ah copy forwarded to the 6th SFS representative.

Tyndall AFB, FL
Firearms are not allowed.

Ft Greely, AK
Firearms are allowed.

Eielson AFB, AK
Personal firearms are not allowed on base.

Fort Huachuca AZ
Must register firearms with the base police. Registration includes make, model, and serial number. You retain possession of the firearms.

Joint Base Andrews, MD
STRICT enforcement of checking firearms into the base armory.

Joint Base Charleston, SC
If on base longer than 24 hours, you must notify Security Police of firearms. They will store them in the base armory

MCRD, Paris Island, SC
Firearms are not allowed on base.

·
Registered
14,543 Posts
Not a game I want to play.

you could consider finding a storage facility near the job site and rent the smallest unit (usually $45-50/mo) and carry to there, store it, and go to work. Then you could also stick a get home bag there too if you wanted. That’s what I’d do

·
Anti-Federalist
25,100 Posts

you could consider finding a storage facility near the job site and rent the smallest unit (usually $45-50/mo) and carry to there, store it, and go to work. Then you could also stick a get home bag there too if you wanted. That’s what I’d do

Not the route I would go, but I had a contractor that would stash his handgun in the water shut off housing in the Target parking lot next to NASJAX.

• Haha
Reactions: mj9mm

·
Registered
833 Posts

Or a bank safety deposit box. Or gym locker. Or park off base and walk / bicycle on depending on distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 43 Posts