Firearms For Lefties With Trigger Safety?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Franky427, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Franky427

Franky427

I was just wondering if y'all could recommend some pistols without safeties (I really like the Glock style safety) that is also left hand accommodating (magazine release etc.).

I love my Glock 17, but wondering what would be some good choices from other manufacturers to play with in the future?

2. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

3. Franky427

Franky427

I have a Gen 4 G17. I'm looking for another, non Glock :)

4. pgg00

pgg00

Hk. Uses a paddle type release

5. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Sorry, I was just pointing out the gen 4 can do left handed mag release if that was your hangup, but it looks like you knew that already (admittedly you'd have to have been living under a rock to not know that).

6. jeremy1

jeremy1

I just picked up a M&P 2.0 in 40 cal. The one thing that i didnt like about gen 4 glocks is thst the mag release digs in to my finger. I have trained myself to release mags with my index finger and dont reverse them. This new M&p is leaps and bounds better than previously. They really nailed it. I am taking itvto the range this weekend.

7. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

8. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Sig p-series (p226 is my favorite) have no safety, and their mag release can be reversed, I believe on all of them. I leave them on the standard side even though I'm a leftie.

9. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Well on this one I beg to differ. I like Sigs, but left handed friendly they are not. OP asked for left handed friendly guns, not a gun which has ALL the controls laid out for the use of a right handed shooter. The exception is the new 320 line which has ambi controls, but you mentioned the 226.

_______
    Edit: I realized you asked for trigger safeties. The PPQ and the VP9 are the only two that come to mind.

Off the top of my head, the brand which is consistently ambidextrous is H&K, already mentioned by a couple of posters. Be it a P30 or a VP9 (both excellent) you will find all the controls laid out exactly the same way on both sides.

Beretta has the PX4 series, with the ambi slide lever and reversible mag release. I love the compact, an excellent shooter and very good carry pistol. Also the carabine is easy to reconfigure for a left handed shooter, it takes 5 minutes to swap the ejector with the extractor.

Walther pistols can be also well laid out for a leftie. The PPQ in particular is very friendly. The PP9 and older PPS also have a paddle style magazine release, but lack the ambi slide lever which makes a big difference in competition.

Other than that, it's easy to find reversible magazine buttons, not so much to find truly ambi guns. I have been playing recently with a Bersa XT9 Pro which is really growing on me and is 100% ambi. I want to write a review but have not gotten around to it.

FN has some ambi models, am not conversant on their products though.

10. jfost11

jfost11

FNS. Completely ambidextrous without having to swap anything from one side to the next. Do yourself a favor and at least put your hand on one.