Firearm designation

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by nursetim, Apr 15, 2018 at 8:29 PM.

1. nursetim

nursetim

Two questions.
    1) In az, we can not have a loaded shotgun or rifle in the passenger compartment, but the shockwave is neither. Now the letter of the law would make this ok. But the spirit of the law would make this not OK.
    2) Rumor has it that putting the shockwave in a carrying case makes it an AOW, can anyone confirm or deny?

Just Glocks and willie_pete like this.
  2. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Can't say yea or nay on # 2. Never heard that before.

I carry mine in a carry case.

Interested in the answer.

nursetim likes this.

3. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

If the carrying case were strapped to someone's body so that it effectively became a holster, then maybe that could be an issue. Otherwise, the notion that casing a gun creates an NFA violation seems absurd.

sigmanx and nursetim like this.
  4. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

I know that concealing a "firearm" ala tac-14 and shockwave is illegal. But had not heard\read that about the ar pistols.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nursetim likes this.
  5. DonD

DonD

Interesting info on AZ law. Surprised that a loaded rifle can't be in the passenger compartment considering how gun friendly most of AZ's firearms laws are. Don

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. nursetim

nursetim

Not to be in your face, but how do you know?

7. TNRonin

No worries, you asked without being a ******. I was reading another thread that was discussing the merits of a vertical grip on a Shockwave/tac-14 firearm and while reading the info from the ATF I saw that if you concealed a "firearm" it was considered an AOW, or some such tripe. What struck me was that you couldn't conceal the "firearm".

Sent from my POS SM-T530NU using Tapatalk. please excuse my typos, spell check sucks!

8. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Only if it can be fired from the case in a disguised fashion.

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act, the term “Any Other Weapon” means:

• Any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive;

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firear...irearms-national-firearms-act-definitions-any

nursetim likes this.
  9. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

WUT?

Millions of americans conceal their firearms everyday by putting them in cases, trunks, backpacks, etc. FOPA itself specifically requires a firearm to be concealed for interstate travel.

It only becomes an AOW if it is fireable from the concealed case. Like HK Briefcase, Wallet holsters, cane guns, pen guns, cellphone guns, etc.

nursetim likes this.
  10. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor Silver Member

We can carry loaded rifles, shotguns or handguns at ready in any motor vehicle. What good is an empty cased firearm? As I recall Arizona requires handguns to be in a holster when transported in a motor vehicle? :drillsgt:

nursetim likes this.
  11. Cirdan

Cirdan

The law in NV says you can legally carry pistols in your car, either exposed or concealed as long as it's not concealed on your person. For that, you must have a CCW.

My understanding is the ban on carrying loaded long guns (rifles/shotguns) is federal law.

nursetim likes this.
  12. TNRonin

Not gonna argue since it's all about the mood of the F troop soldier interpreting the law. This is from the ATF letter about the Shockwave. [​IMG]

Sent from my POS SM-T530NU using Tapatalk. please excuse my typos, spell check sucks!

nursetim likes this.
  13. nursetim

nursetim

I love how they leave it hanging with “may”.
    So slinging it under the coat is or “may” be a no go, but putting it in an anoxious bag is :thumbsup:? Am I interpreting this like most people would?

14. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I can understand not having one chambered. A lot of deaths have occurred because of that.

nursetim likes this.
  15. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

It sounds like it turns into an AOW if it can be fired from the case/bag or while it is concealed.

Sounds like .gov gobbledegook.

:headscratch:

RenegadeGlocker and nursetim like this.
  16. Dog Soldier

I am not in favor of any such gun laws. The Liberals will always claim that "Big Daddy" is robbing your freedoms to save your life.
    Have you ever seen a study regarding how gun owners were victims? Just because laws prohibited their rights to have a loaded firearm?:drillsgt:

17. Dog Soldier

Where did you ever come up with that law? The Federal Law does not control Intra-State Transportation for firearms. Inter-State transportation is protected.
    Class III and Interstate transportation is a different issue. You must inform the BATF before transporting Machine Guns or SBRs across state lines.:drillsgt:[/QUOTE]

18. TNRonin

Guys I have no clue on all of this. It all depends on their mood. A good college friends of me and my wife is ATF. She married another ATF agent. My wife was in the wedding etc. I partied my a$$ is with the agents. I was so unimpressed with the street guys and attitudes that I didn't pursue employment with them. She is an awesome person but the guys I met. Not so much. I just keep my head down and try like hell to not be the high nail. And this was about 28 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nursetim likes this.
  19. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker

Well that is a lot different than what you wrote ("concealing a "firearm" ala tac-14 and shockwave is illegal." vs "concealed on a person").

So we have safely established what I wrote, putting it in a case, trunk, backpack for transport is NOT illegal as it is not concealed on a person.

And concealing it on your person is not illegal either, it is just NFA and you have to have a stamp. They should have mentioned it must be firerable to be NFA/AOW, but I guess they skipped those details as relevant wrt to subject at hand.

20. Dog Soldier

The BATF was created from the ashes of the old Revenue agency. This was the corrupt Federal Bounty hunters of the Depression. They enforced the Liquor laws of the Prohibition years.
    The agency was to expire in the 1960s. LBJ changed the name to the BATF to enforce the 1968 Gun Laws. Their history of corruption stains them to this day. They should be shut down.:drillsgt:

nursetim likes this.