close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fire/EMS Forum?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Bravo6, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Bravo6

Bravo6 Paramedic

Been noticing the reshuffling of the main page here... the Fire/EMS Forum has been moved so that you have to click on a sub-group to get to it? I'm sure you would never do that to Cop Talk, which is prominently featured near the top of the page. I find this to be rather annoying and at times even mildly offensive. One cannot help but wonder if this reflects the opinions of the administrators here with regards to First Responders, EMTs, Paramedics and Firefighters... I would welcome any comments that can explain the thought process behind this.

2. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

Hi Bravo. I'm sure it was never Eric's intention to offend FF/EMS personell. I know for a fact that he holds all public safety personell in very high regard.

My guess would be that the highest trafficked subforums (Cop Talk, GNG, etc) are on the first page and the slower subforums are grouped. However this is just a guess and does not reflect Eric's thought process.

Scott ;c

3. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Bravo6, The EMT forum is one of the clubhouse forums, Cop Talk is not. There were some very good reasons for the reorganization. I've got to tell you, it surprises me quite a bit that anyone would be either annoyed or offended by the changes. Why don't you temper your feelings with the fact that you are a guest on my site and it costs me a lot of time and money to host these clubhouse forums?

I think it is ridiculous that you would make a judgement about my feelings towards firefighters and EMT's based on some housekeeping changes on the site. Buddy, I find THAT mildly offensive. You do not know me and you have no right to make any assumptions about my beliefs or opinions. For the record, I greatly respect the job that firefighters and EMT's do. My secondary MOS in the Army was combat medic. These changes had nothing to do with anything, except a need to streamline the main page of the site. The sheer number of clubhouse forums was getting out of hand and they were causing problems. It was necessary to get as many of the clubhouse forums off the main level as possible. These changes had the effect of making the front page load faster for everyone and it reduced the load on my front end serves by more than 33%.

These changes are just the preliminary changes of what will be a major reworking of the site. One of the features of the new system will be a crosslinking system, which will randomly show text bites of all the forums, in other forums. This sort of thing will increase everyone's awareness of every forum and all the forums will benefit, regardless of where they reside on the site.

Bravo6, I don't think much of the way you approached me on this. Next time you have a concern about something I have done, I would appreciate it if you gave me a chance to respond before making assumptions and passing judgement on my efforts. Eric

4. Bravo6

Bravo6 Paramedic

Eric, after some reflection, I cannot help but agree with your response. I work for an overworked, underpaid, underfunded, understaffed and unappreciated department that is part of a much larger corporate machine, and I am sure some of the BS I have to deal with from up levels at the job entered into my thought process here. I also understand that this is no excuse. I admit that I have delivered a low blow here and all I can do is profess complete ignorance, offer a sincere apology and hope to be forgiven. My dad used to tell me what happes to those that assume, and I am sorry I did.

5. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Hello Bravo. This is no big deal. Like I said, I have the highest regard for people who do what you do. I nearly became an EMT myself, when I got out of the Army.

As the clubhouse system grows and more profession-related forums come online, I will restructure the clubhouses to group them together. Another possibility I have been kicking around is to kick the EMT forum up to the main site level and create a new profession-based forum category, with Cop Talk and the EMT forums anchoring it. The site is undergoing some major changes and everything will be in a state of flux for a while. Please bear with me. I think the end results will be worth the effort. Eric