Finishing touches on first bullet.. advice requested

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FiremanMike, Feb 11, 2010.

1. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Ok, My first bullet is near done, and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right..

I'm using titegroup, after messing with my autodisk powder measure I got my charge to 4.2-4.3gr, seated my bullet (115gr precision delta FMJ) to 1.137", and my last die is a factory crimp die.

So my question is, do those numbers sound ok? (I've been told to go up to 4.5gr with titegroup, so I'm going to load a few like that too), and how exactly do I adjust the factory crimp die?

2. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Nevermind on the crimp die, figured that out I think.

3. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Bullet #2 came out at 1.132" OAL, problem?

4. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

That sounds like it ought to work.

I load to an OAL of 1.105 for my 124gr lead cast with 3.8gr of Titegroup.

5. PBKing

PBKing

Probably Not.

What is the case OD at the mouth...Crimp dimension?

Make a dummy round before you start running primer/powder. Then weigh every throw for at least 10-15 to se the variance if any. As the powder settles in the hopper the charge may vary...keep vigilant weighing charges untill you are confident..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  6. fredj338

fredj338

A 0.002" diff in seating is not even measureable, bullet noses vary that much. Allthough not a TG fan, from Hogdon, you are within safe powder charge range.
    115 GR. SPR GDHP Hodgdon Titegroup .355" 1.125" 4.5 1135 29,500 CUP 4.8 1158 30,500 CUP
    Depending on your OAL, you may actually be a bit light. One reason I don't like TG, too narrow a laod range.

7. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Well ok I thought I had figured out the crimp die, but then I went back downstairs and looked at it, and I haven't.. I really don't know what the crimp dimension is... help? :)

I loaded 5 bullets, here are the results

1. OAL - 1.138" OD at mouth .374"
    2. OAL - 1.130" OD at mouth .374"
    3. OAL - 1.138" OD at mouth .373"
    4. OAL - 1.140" OD at mouth .373"
    5. OAL - 1.137" OD at mouth .373"

8. PBKing

PBKing

Crimp will vary with the case wall thickness.. Bullet diameter + 2X Case wall thickness less .002 works for me. Do the math with your components. That might be a tight crimp. Especially for a plated bullet.
    If you can go a little longer and still feed and function that will give you a little buffer as well with the TG. I dont run these bullets so I dont have an OAL.
    What dies are you using?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  9. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Lee dies with a lee classic turret.. So you're sayign I should back up my crimp die a bit?

On a side note, apparently my little scale measures in g (grams) and gr (grains).. In case you were wondering, 4.2 grams is actually nearly 7 grains.. Not really sure how I noticed I was measuring wrong, but I'm sure glad I did..

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

If you had a case gauge you could drop it in and see if it's fitting.

BUT

Take you dial calipers and put the case mouth with seated bullet on the big part of your calipers. Hold it up to the light and let the light shine between the calipers and the bullet. Your using the calipers as a straight edge on each side of the bullet. Look for any remnants of your flare from the powder die. Increase crimp till flare is gone. Pull that bullet and look for a ring on the bullet, reduce flare to ring is gone. Thats going to be close enough. It's going to vary a little from case to case. Don't sweat the small stuff on the crimp.

11. kubura

kubura

7 grains??? :wow: That's almost a double charge per Hodgdon Reloading Data Center.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

12. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I could just pull a barrel out of one of my guns and use that.. what happens if my crimp is too tight?

13. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

For the sake of curiousity I did check using a barrel and the rounds slid right in.. then I checked case outside diameter on some factory winchester ammo, .373"..

14. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Dude... pay attention. TG isn't a very forgiving powder as it is. What kind of scale are you using?

IGF

16. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I dunno some scale I ordered off midway, had I not been paying attention I wouldn't have found my error and corrected it. I'm using a lee powder disk measure, I'm checking every few rounds, and now that I have my scale set to grains everything is golden.

17. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

On a side note.. I wanted to load some rounds at 4.2 grains as suggested, but with my powder disk measure my options are 4.0 grains or 4.5 grains. Has anyone had any luck at 4.0 grains with titegroup and 115gr FMJ? If so I'll load a few rounds at that.

I do recall a previous experience with some factory reloads (can't remember the company) where my M&P wouldn't cycle every time, so I'm thinking I might not have much luck with lower charges. At 4.5gr I'm still well below the factory recommended max charge, so I'm not too worried <shrug>

18. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Seems a little long for BULLETS....

19. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

<shrug> wwb is at 1.150 +/- .. But I'm happen to seat them deeper if you think I should..

Sadly hodgen's site doesn't have data for titegroup + 115 FMJ, so I'm piecing this together..

20. njl

njl Crusty Member

He's joking with you. You're not measuring bullets. You're measuring cartridges. The bullet is the lead (might be jacketed or plated) part that comes out the business end of the barrel when you shoot the gun.

All the factory 115gr FMJ I've measured is 1.150 or more...so you're already loading kind of on the short side, which I wouldn't do unless there's a reason to.