·
Banned
4,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here done it? If so:

-What tools and jig did you use?

-How did it turn out?

-How did you finish it?

-Did you serialize it? Were you required to?

·
Banned
10,620 Posts
I did one from EP Armory. I bought the polymer lower, jig and milling bits from EP. I used my drill press. Went slow, watched a YouTube on how to drill and mill it. Turned out okay, put a cheap PTAC upper on it and it shot fine. Kept it in the truck for awhile. My son claimed it and it's in his safe now. It was pretty easy and a good experience but I wouldn't do it again. Not since lowers are $40 at Aim Surplus which is just a couple miles from me.

Reactions: MO Fugga

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
So you're saying you transferred a completed 80% lower?

Reactions: GasTiresOil

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Is there something wrong with that?
Yes, you can't transfer them once completed unless they're serialized. And with that I believe you would need to be a licensed manufacturer.

You can manufacture a firearm for yourself, but you can't give or sell it to anyone else. Legally...

Reactions: Pierre!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Please inform me...

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Yes, you can't transfer them once completed unless they're serialized. And with that I believe you would need to be a licensed manufacturer.

You can manufacture a firearm for yourself, but you can't give or sell it to anyone else. Legally...
Not true. You can transfer one, but there are some limitations.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/atf-answers-questions-on-80-receiver-blanks/#ixzz57mDkN9NS
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

12. Can anyone make firearms and sell them?
With certain exceptions, and subject to any state law that might apply, as long as an individual is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, he or she can make a firearm for personal use. If an individual wants to manufacture and sell firearms, he or she is required to obtain a license, and mark each firearm manufactured in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92. [18 U.S.C. 923(i), 26 U.S.C. 5822]

With that said you can't sell it, but the circumstance mentioned in the post above seems legal since it would be kind of a gift and wasn't manufactured and sold.

·
SuperOwner
8,053 Posts
12. Can anyone make firearms and sell them?
With certain exceptions, and subject to any state law that might apply, as long as an individual is not prohibited from possessing a firearm, he or she can make a firearm for personal use. If an individual wants to manufacture and sell firearms, he or she is required to obtain a license, and mark each firearm manufactured in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92. [18 U.S.C. 923(i), 26 U.S.C. 5822]
He is not making and selling firearms. He made one and later gifted it to his son. No FFL required for that.

·
SuperOwner
8,053 Posts
As stated, his was for personal use, not to sell. No license required.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use?

No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The law prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting semiautomatic rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be detected by metal detectors or x–ray machines. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
As stated, his was for personal use, not to sell. No license required.
Didn't dispute that. I know I can make them all day long for myself. The only thing I was questioning was the transfer. Given the circumstances of his "transfer" it appears to be legal.

Personally I don't care either way.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
How so? What law prevents me from selling sell/xfer/gift I lawfully own?
If an individual wants to manufacture and sell firearms, he or she is required to obtain a license, and mark each firearm manufactured in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92. [18 U.S.C. 923(i), 26 U.S.C. 5822]

You can't legally manufacture (complete an 80%) and sell it without a license.

However... You do what you want.

·
SuperOwner
8,053 Posts
You can't legally manufacture (complete an 80%) and sell it without a license.
The ATF says you can:

Q) A company acquires one receiver, assembles one firearm, and sells the firearm.

A) The company is not manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business and is not engaged in the business of manufacturing firearms. This company does not need to be licensed as a manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.