Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finished Jeremiah Denton's book...

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Norman, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

And I'm left with a feeling of tremendous, jaw-dropping respect and amazement of the tenacity, persistance, and perseverance of the POW's that had to spend years and years (and what to them must have felt like decades) in Vietnam prison camps, dealing with harrasment, starvation, agony, and torture. And yet, though they teetered on the brink of death and suffered through mental anguish that we cannot even imagine, they were still, in their weak and battered and miserable state, somehow, inconceivably, able to hold on to their will and desire to abide to the Code of Conduct, and the code of Honor.

I can do nothing but be amazed, and snap a salute filled with respect and the knowledge that even after reading the man's book, I still probably have no idea what it must have been like. It also makes me thankful for the things I normally take for granted daily.

Denton also conveys something I found to be quite extraordinary, and that was the good and evil of man. Though we are introduced to incredibly cruel punishment, you see the compassion in others in the most unlikely of places, a Vietnam prisoner camp. A great, very moving, and extremely insightful read.