Glock Talk banner

Fingergroove spacing on Gen4 G19 vs older models....

1063 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DubfromGA
I recently bought a new Gen4 G17.

I really like the beavertails and adjustable grip size for my larger paws.

The beavertail has me thinking a smaller G26 and G19 may be much more to my liking now, too.

Nice high grip with no slide bite.

It's been years since I've handled a G19.

I remember the finger spacing being a bit tight for my comfort on long range sessions.

I like it for carry gun purposes, though.

Can anyone confirm that the finger groove spacing on the new Gen4 G19 is any different from the older models.

I'm guessing that the largest beavertail backstrap would put the gun in a more comfortable position and feel better than the older G19 I've shot.

Just didn't know how "tight" those finger grooves were.

My new G17 feels perfect in my hand.

As always, I appreciate your insight.

Thanks.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont know about im comparison to earlier G19's, but the finger grooves will deff be tighter then on your 17
Yup. I'm thinking that's going to be the case for sure.

I've got a day off tomorrow and will have a chance to visit a couple of shops maybe and get a Gen4 G19 in my paws and see how it feels....especially if they'll put the largest backstrap on it.

I'm a fan of the platform for concealed carry and shootability. Glocks work for me. I enjoy my 1911's, don't get me wrong, but Glocks for carry or Glocks with a weapons light for HD use are hard to beat.

Adding a G19 would give me the double-duty aspects, providing it fits reasonably well.

· Premium Member
22,879 Posts
If the got rid of the finger grooves and undercut the trigger guard at the factory they would be damn near perfect pistols.
I personally would be pissed if they removed them.

I think Glock frames are absolutely hideous when people remove the finger grooves
Why not snap on front straps, similar to the back straps. You could have no front strap (no groves), G17 spaced groves, and G19 spaced groves options.

· Banned
1,512 Posts
I think the finger grooves are the same as on the Gen3; however, the new extentions and beaver tails do make a nice difference, so that may make it feel a little different for you.

I love both the 17 and 19, but prefer the 19. It just fits my hand a little better, but the 17 is a great feeling gun for me. Honestly, I can go either way on the grooves, but like ole Hicock45 says, I've bought into the Glock system. These guns just fit me as well, if not better, than any gun out there.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the finger grooves are the same as on the Gen3; however, the new extentions and beaver tails do make a nice difference, so that may make it feel a little different for you.

I love both the 17 and 19, but prefer the 19. It just fits my hand a little better, but the 17 is a great feeling gun for me. Honestly, I can go either way on the grooves, but like ole Hicock45 says, I've bought into the Glock system. These guns just fit me as well, if not better, than any gun out there.
Agreed.

They tend to work well for me, too. I have grown to really like the Glock trigger feel.

I've never had a single problem with any Glock that I've shot.....ever. I can't say that about most of the handguns that I've fired.

I even am fine with the factory sights, however I think there is a real possibility that I'll get a sight pusher one day and upgrade to a fiber optic & tritium combination. I want something that I can acquire as fast as I do the factory Glock sights.

· Banned
1,512 Posts
Agreed.

They tend to work well for me, too. I have grown to really like the Glock trigger feel.

I've never had a single problem with any Glock that I've shot.....ever. I can't say that about most of the handguns that I've fired.

I even am fine with the factory sights, however I think there is a real possibility that I'll get a sight pusher one day and upgrade to a fiber optic & tritium combination. I want something that I can acquire as fast as I do the factory Glock sights.
I used to be a standard night sight guy, b/c I actually like Glocks factory night sights, but I got a set of the Trijicon HD sights on my G19, and man...it is worth the money. I I had them installed on my P226, and the Ameriglo equivalent on my Shield (they didn't have anything else, but it was so close to the THDs so I got them). I didn't like the TFO fiberoptic sights as much. The sights are too long and not quite as easy to pick up as the THDs, IMO.

· Registered
2,315 Posts
I would think the finger spacing would be the same but cannot say for sure. I thought the grip texture was the only thing that changes.

I'm a fan of finger groves as well both the 17 and 19 size fit well. I have large hands and still like both sizes.

· Registered
712 Posts
I went from a gen 4 G26 to a gen 4 G19. I did not realize the finger grooves on the 19 were smaller then the 26 (which is spaced the same as the 17) until I already bought the gun and got home with it. At first, my fingers did not fit too comfortable in the grooves but then I did a undercut job to get my fat ass fingers up a little higher and now the grip fits me like a glove.

I too love the factory glock sight picture, I am very accurate with it and get on target very quick. I tried a few diff aftermarket sights and was not really as quick with any of them as Glocks "Ball in the bucket"..........I recently just put on Trijicon HD's with the orange front and love the sight picture. I get on target a tad faster then with Glock factory sights and in all lighting conditions. I have not been to the range yet with them but dry firing in different lighting, at various objects (some dark, some light) I love them so far.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I picked up a new Old Faithful holster (for a G19) from a buddy at a tremendous discount with the thought that I'd add a G19 or give it to my Dad, who has a G23.

My G17 fits in it surprisingly well. I don't have a clue if it will also fit a G26.

I'll take it with me when I go to the gun shops and fit check a G26 in there, too.

It could be that at G26 is a better fit for me.

The Gen4 beavertails have brought this little gun back onto my radar. This Crossbreed-style holster would make it all but disappear and ride mighty comfortably.

A trip to the gun shop is in order.

· Registered
712 Posts
Gen 4 G26 with beavertail backstrap and a GAP floorplate will lock that little guy in your hand. I loved my G26 with GAP floorplate (I did not use a beavertail backstrap nor needed to, but I experimented with it). I will deff get another one after a few other purchases I need to make

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gen 4 G26 with beavertail backstrap and a GAP floorplate will lock that little guy in your hand. I loved my G26 with GAP floorplate (I did not use a beavertail backstrap nor needed to, but I experimented with it). I will deff get another one after a few other purchases I need to make

Sounds good.

I was a bit skeptical about the Glock subcompacts when they first came out. I just didn't see how they'd possibly shoot worth a crap with their shortened grip frame. I was basing my opinion on limited range time with officer's framed 1911's. I love my Colt Commander and know that it's as small as I'd ever go on that platform. Standard grip frame and shorter slide works fine for me.

Well....fast forward a few years and I was at the range with a buddy and shot his G30. I simply could not believe how well the gun handled and performed. The groups I shot with it were equal or better than my target model P220 and Gold Cup. I never would have believed this had I not experienced it.

My next hobby money went towards a new G30. It's been a tough little joker, too. It opened my eyes and changed my opinions towards these compacts. I'm a fan !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.