Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

Got some spare parts and plan (maybe "planned") to put OEM parts inside and a standard baseplate/insert into an older KCI 33 GL mag with hopes of a "more reliable" 31rd mag.

It's approx 10 years old (if those are any different than the current offerings).

Well, I have read before about people removing "plastic flashing" before adding OEM parts, but once disassembled and looking inside, their is a ton of stuff going on in there that I can see causing issues!

Such as seeing why folks say Followers tend to hang up in these mags and then then spill rounds from the top.

It's NOT smooth inside of the tube (assuming OEM GL33s are¿?)

For one, the KCI it's a 17rd mag with an extension attached, so on the outside you only see a horizontal seam below the 16/17 witness hole, but INSIDE...

Their is thick black epoxy/glue globbed all around the inner seam (Blobby in the corners and seems their is a ledge affect also) although it may be from the glue material, and not an actual offset.

Also, the 2 biggest weld marks on the sides look like loose black round stickers inside, with the ends flared out, the 2 that do that are also below the seam and at the top of the lower half.

Anyone ever tinkered with the inside before swapping parts for the sake of making it more reliable, rather than just tossing it?

What can be removed without hurting the integrity of the 2 halves?

I have pics, but my image host is being a B.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
I had some .40 KCI 31-rounders and trimmed the flashing out but they were still a joke. I gave up on them and got some oem 22/23-rounders and they're flawless. The metal liners of the kci's were rough, the feed lips were sharp enough to gouge casings. OEM is smooth. I could've tried polishing the kci liners and stoning the feed lips with a 1000-grit stone but it would've likely still been a waste because the .40 kci mags were undersprung using the same 17-coil spring as 9mm 31/33-rounders. OEM uses the same 17-coil spring for 9mm 31/33 and .40 22/23. My KCI mags were from shortly before Glock released the .40 22/23 mags so maybe modern production is better but I doubt it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had some .40 KCI 31-rounders and trimmed the flashing out but they were still a joke. I gave up on them and got some oem 22/23-rounders and they're flawless. The metal liners of the kci's were rough, the feed lips were sharp enough to gouge casings. OEM is smooth. I could've tried polishing the kci liners and stoning the feed lips with a 1000-grit stone but it would've likely still been a waste because the .40 kci mags were undersprung using the same 17-coil spring as 9mm 31/33-rounders. OEM uses the same 17-coil spring for 9mm 31/33 and .40 22/23. My KCI mags were from shortly before Glock released the .40 22/23 mags so maybe modern production is better but I doubt it.
Hi,

The main issue inside of mine that I "can see" (without comparing to a real G31 mag due to preferring to keep the lower tabs intact) is the gunk that surrounds the inner seam where the 2 halves meet.

Especially in the corners, I have no clue how a follower could even reliably pass it.

Can I email you pics to show you what I'm talking about and get your advice on what can, or can't, be removed?

Mine is:

trainthagreat (AT) hotmail (DOT) com

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
By gunk do you mean like a cosmoline looking substance or plastic flashing coming out of the seams? Mine had both and after trimming the flashing away I wrapped a paper towel around a toothbrush and spayed it with Hoppe's Elite Cleaner to clean all the cosmoline looking stuff out. I don't rememer how I trimmed the flashing, I think I had a little arts knife. In the end though the mags had unfixable problems like being undersprung with no longer springs available(only a problem for .40/357 versions) and the metal liners were able to expand causing the mags to swell when loaded because they were poorly made.

The epoxy/glue stuff sounds like plastic flashing or plastic that is intentionally allowed to flow through gaps or holes in the metal liner. There are two protrusions of plastic at the front of the feed lips that are part of Glock's magazine design as well. Any other plastic you see inside is not present in factory mags.

There should be an option when you write a post on this forum to include an image link, it's the icon that looks like or mountain range or you could post the link url and people can copy+paste it. There are several image hosting websites like imgur.com that you can upload the image to then they give you a link to the image to post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts